P&O Ferries (1 Viewer)

OffenhamSkyBlue

P&O Ferries have reportedly sacked their entire seafaring staff of 800 and are replacing them with cheap foreign contract labour. They are owned by the Dubai-based firm DP World who made £3.8bn last year, but the £100m loss P&O are making is apparently an unsustainable business model.
I have been fairly brand-loyal to P&O for my trips across the Channel, but not any more! Suggest you do likewise where you can.

Bigger problem is the amount of freight that they bring in to this country cannot be serviced by the other smaller companies like DFDS and Irish Ferries, or by Eurotunnel, so they have the country over a barrel.
Bastards!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Wightlink ferries - mainland to Isle of Wight - were owned by an Australian company up until 2015! And Red Funnel, the other ferry company, is part owned by West Midlands Pension Fund! Yep! Right on the coast - Not! :ROFLMAO:

Sick Boy

French staff won't be sacked, too problematic. Taking back control.
"The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor."

This is from 2012....

British workers are "among the worst idlers in the world", a group of Conservative MPs has claimed. The UK "rewards laziness", does not encourage risk-taking and must strive to emulate the work ethic and low-tax culture in parts of Asia, the five MPs argue in a book due out next month. The authors include Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab, both tipped to be promoted in a future reshuffle. "Too many people in Britain prefer a lie-in to hard work," they argue. The other contributors to Britannia Unchained are Priti Patel, Chris Skidmore and Kwasi Kwarteng, influential members of the "class of 2010" - MPs elected to Parliament at the last election.

Oh dear.

Terry Gibson's perm

"The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor."

This is from 2012....

British workers are "among the worst idlers in the world", a group of Conservative MPs has claimed. The UK "rewards laziness", does not encourage risk-taking and must strive to emulate the work ethic and low-tax culture in parts of Asia, the five MPs argue in a book due out next month. The authors include Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab, both tipped to be promoted in a future reshuffle. "Too many people in Britain prefer a lie-in to hard work," they argue. The other contributors to Britannia Unchained are Priti Patel, Chris Skidmore and Kwasi Kwarteng, influential members of the "class of 2010" - MPs elected to Parliament at the last election.

Oh dear.

MP’s should easily be able to spot idle people they are surrounded by them in parliament.

skybluetony176

This is from 2012....

Oh dear.
More unhinged than unchained.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

MP’s should easily be able to spot idle people they are surrounded by them in parliament.
Well, to be fair they were right when they said idleness is rewarded. They are of course referred to as the idle rich.

And according to their election blurb they're on the side of the people... Of course they want you to work harder - the more time you spend working the less time you've got to complain, or even realise what a shit deal it is. And how are those shareholders going to get their richly deserved dividends?

First in the queue to talk about self-responsibility and self-accountability. Right at the back for pushing for those same people to get the rewards for it.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Listening to an HR expert on the news this morning, it sounds liike P&O have dropped themselves in a whole world of legal shit.

They've managed to get pretty much everything wrong in terms of process, definition, consultation etc.

In fact, its so bad its almost like a really bad joke that was never meant to air to zoom.

800+ cases for wrongful dismissal with barrel loads of compo incoming....

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This is what they meant by taking back control. Fuck over the little people so the big boys can make a fortune.

But that was all Project Fear remember...?

If they hadn´t have commissioned project fear, Remain would have won.

Anyway, there are bigger things ´at sea´ here than another SBT Off Topic Brexit Bash. I certainly won´t be using P&O again, and I suspect I am not the only one. Le Shuttle are also money grabbing bastards that don´t care about their customers either. None of them cover themselves in glory.

skybluetony176

Shame. Couldn’t happen to a nicer company.

Presumably they need some sort of a government issued operators licence/permit to operate from UK ports? If they’ve broken UK law couldn’t the government just revoke it until they reverse their decision and reinstate the UK workers?

Marty

Shame. Couldn’t happen to a nicer company.

Presumably they need some sort of a government issued operators licence/permit to operate from UK ports? If they’ve broken UK law couldn’t the government just revoke it until they reverse their decision and reinstate the UK workers?

Fuck that, there's no way back for the previous employees, I certainly wouldn't work for them again. Hope the workers send them bust with the amount they'll be getting for unfair dismissal.

skybluetony176

Fuck that, there's no way back for the previous employees, I certainly wouldn't work for them again. Hope the workers send them bust with the amount they'll be getting for unfair dismissal.
I know what you’re saying and I share your sentiment to some degree but there seems to be a general consensus amongst the staff that they’d take their jobs back.

Terry Gibson's perm

Their plan doesn’t seem to be working it was very unfortunate that the ships are not passing safety tests.

Users who are viewing this thread