Transfer Rumour Owen Otasowie (1 Viewer)

Magwitch

A return to the ‘racehorse’ scheme that saw Robbie Keane spend a season with us before being sold for a huge profit that CCFC didn’t see a penny of...

If true I wonder what happens to any sell-on profit.
You mean the Newmarket scheme a number of our big signings in the Atkinson Strachan years were bought that way.

BornSlippySkyBlue

You mean the Newmarket scheme a number of our big signings in the Atkinson Strachan years were bought that way.
Could well have been, can’t find my copy of the book (think I read about it in “Staying up”??) and yeah there were multiple players bought. My (admittedly sketchy) memory of it was that Keane was the biggest deal, both in terms of outlay and profit. Wish I could find the book now...

SBT

Very decent indeed if he’s just gifting all this to the club. All if true of course.

Leaving aside the debate about whether it's really all that great for our transfer policy to hinge on mysterious wealthy third party benefactors, I have to question where these rumours come from. He seems like a nice guy who cares about the club and has donated plenty. That should be enough to earn our respect. Not sure why we should be expecting him, or anyone else, to be bankrolling seven-figure transfers - I certainly don't know how he could afford that, especially in this environment.

SlowerThanPlatt

So far afaik he’s sponsored the academy and put some investment into the training ground - nice and important gestures but nothing to suggest he would be giving the club millions to spend on players

covcity4life

How does overson buying players work with FFP? Surerly that means rich owners could assemble dream team for guaranteed promotion to prem

BornSlippySkyBlue

Leaving aside the debate about whether it's really all that great for our transfer policy to hinge on mysterious wealthy third party benefactors, I have to question where these rumours come from. He seems like a nice guy who cares about the club and has donated plenty. That should be enough to earn our respect. Not sure why we should be expecting him, or anyone else, to be bankrolling seven-figure transfers - I certainly don't know how he could afford that, especially in this environment.
Absolutely, not sure anyone is expecting him to buy players. No idea where the suggestion originated (apart from this thread). He already has my respect for his contributions to our club for sure.

mark82

How does overson buying players work with FFP? Surerly that means rich owners could assemble dream team for guaranteed promotion to prem

I think he'd probably have to get equity in return,and there is a limit on how much.

Not sure if that is the same in Championship or if that is just Premier League.

It didn't happen anyway.

Frostie

There is zero chance of him personally paying for Hamer (or anyone else).

I think people see that we've spent a substantial fee for the first time in a long time & then decide 1 (or both) of:
- Club can't afford that
- SISU won't invest
So put a daft 2+2 together.

Magwitch

I remember sometime ago players were individually sponsored by local businesses, don’t know if they still do or if it is allowed anymore.

Magwitch

There is zero chance of him personally paying for Hamer (or anyone else).

I think people see that we've spent a substantial fee for the first time in a long time & then decide 1 (or both) of:
- Club can't afford that
- SISU won't invest
So put a daft 2+2 together.
But the finance was there surely increased budget from last season, was there prize money for winning league ?and we’ve had transfer income from McCallum not saying we are swimming in loot can’t be exactly destitute surely.

Frostie

But the finance was there surely increased budget from last season, was there prize money for winning league ?and we’ve had transfer income from McCallum not saying we are swimming in loot can’t be exactly destitute surely.

You know that, I know that but it doesn't stop the conspiracy theorists!

shmmeee

I heard at the time Keane was a slightly different deal to Whelan et al and it was a direct deal with whoever we sold him to (Juve?) that if we took him and proved him in the Prem, we’d be guaranteed X amount the season after.

Though when you consider the Jarni deal, the confirmed racehorse deals, and God knows what else Richardson was up to, nothing would surprise me.

You know that, I know that but it doesn't stop the conspiracy theorists!

Careful now!

skyblueelephant76

I heard at the time Keane was a slightly different deal to Whelan et al and it was a direct deal with whoever we sold him to (Juve?) that if we took him and proved him in the Prem, we’d be guaranteed X amount the season after.

Though when you consider the Jarni deal, the confirmed racehorse deals, and God knows what else Richardson was up to, nothing would surprise me.

Careful now!
I heard from someone within the club at the time that Eddie Jordan paid for Keane and then took the profit.

Skyblueweeman

I remember sometime ago players were individually sponsored by local businesses, don’t know if they still do or if it is allowed anymore.

I've asked a couple of clubs about player sponsorship as part of my new business. Just waiting to hear back from them.

CCFC54321

I heard from someone within the club at the time that Eddie Jordan paid for Keane and then took the profit.
Richardson, McGinnity and Robinson all put in £2m each and Strachan was advised from his sick bed (flu) that Richardson was on his way up the M6 to get Keane (villa bid £5.5m) and wouldn’t go higher. The intention was always to sell him at a point when they couldn’t turn down the money/profit. The three of them trousered the £13.5m fee from Inter Milan as in effect it was their money. My source? Somebody VERY close to the club at the time!

shmmeee

Richardson, McGinnity and Robinson all put in £2m each and Strachan was advised from his sick bed (flu) that Richardson was on his way up the M6 to get Keane (villa bid £5.5m) and wouldn’t go higher. The intention was always to sell him at a point when they couldn’t turn down the money/profit. The three of them trousered the £13.5m fee from Inter Milan as in effect it was their money. My source? Somebody VERY close to the club at the time!

😂😂😂😂

Love this thread.

“I heard x at the time from someone connected to the club”

“I heard y at the time from someone IN the club”

“I heard z at the time by someone VERY close to the club”

Not a comment of the veracity of anything, just found it funny

CCFC54321

😂😂😂😂

Love this thread.

“I heard x at the time from someone connected to the club”

“I heard y at the time from someone IN the club”

“I heard z at the time by someone VERY close to the club”

Not a comment of the veracity of anything, just found it funny

I don’t know what to say....

fatso

If you type VERY in capital letters, does it mean that it’s definitely true?

shmmeee

I don’t know what to say....

As I say, not a comment on who is right. TBH my memory is so bad I’m not confident in mine at all. Was just three people with very different very specific stories all very convinced they were more right than the last person. Wasn’t a dig I promise.

CCFC54321

As I say, not a comment on who is right. TBH my memory is so bad I’m not confident in mine at all. Was just three people with very different very specific stories all very convinced they were more right than the last person. Wasn’t a dig I promise.
Ha ha very true. However, this was an ex CCFC player that told me on a FA coaching course. :)

Magwitch

Talking the Robbie Keane transfer. At the time out bidding Villa was massive like it or lump it they were amongst the star top six and for little Cov to nick Keane from under the Villa noses just shouldn’t happen. Big story at the time but I remember a debate on radio and the arse known as Rodney Marsh poo-pooing the deal and said its only for a year and Keene will on the move, Frank McKlintock had a go at Marsh but Keane did move all be it to Italy but ironically from there to Leeds.

Users who are viewing this thread