Our Midfield (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Now we have a defensive midfielder will Fleck be playing more forward? I think when Mowbray first came in and Fleck was a lot further up the pitch he played a lot better and was making runs into the box.

torchomatic

Yes, I'm hoping that Vincelot will give Fleck more chance to shine...well more chance for me to realise he's even on the pitch. A creative midfielder would be nice too.

Things are really looking up. If Reda signs and Phillips can stay fit then we'll have a very good defence as I'm sure Ricketts and Johnson will make Stokes raise his game a little.

Now TM needs to concentrate on bringing in someone who can stick the ball in the net at least every other game.

Nick

Administrator
Unless he is planning to use Swanson more.

We still need a left midfielder really don't we if he plans to play JOB on the right.

torchomatic

Ah forgot about Swanson. He always looked OK to me, not sure why Pressley had such a downer on him.

torchomatic

KersleyDigs

Fleck said Pressley never allowed him to get ahead of the ball or run with it. Two things TM clearly asked him to do as he suddenly started doing both after SP left...

I think there is a lot more to come from Fleck if he is allowed more freedom to express himself and take risks

SkyBluePryce

It's looking quite decent, though we still need a a player who is quick and can beat a man in midfield. As well as someone like Samuel up top. With those and Reda, I will be very excited

Evo1883

We need a goalscoring midfielder , i just dont think fleck will bring us the goals

stupot07

Fleck - Meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chiefdave

Would be a bonus if this signing gives Fleck the freedom to move forward and he starts playing as well as we've always been told he can.

lewys33

Fleck was brilliant under Robins, but injury prone. Under Pressley he was average and not injury prone.

Let's hope he can find the right balance from that!

rupert_bear

There will be atleast one more midfielder to come in and a pacey winger, call that a wide midfielder if you like, the two strongly linked a month back Jacobs and Vidcuc still not gone anywhere yet, my money is one one of them joining maybe both.

Hobo

Swanson could be like a new signing for us. If we can make the midfield more creative and positive more chances will fall across the board.

I can still see TM adding to the options in midfield with a loan later down the line. Assuming we were successfull keeping Stokes and Reda. I always felt it would be four signings and three to four loans.

I think he will be looking to add two strikers next as signings.

ccfc_Tom

Im sure mark marshall left port vale last season at end of contract, would love him back. He looked class against us last season

ccfc92

I think our CM was being carried by Fleck last season, although poorly. I think if Fleck is given more of a free role, we should see what he's capable of. Thomas was useless, but I think bringing him on as back up/last 10/15 might gradually raise his confidence and performance. He was relied on too much last season IMO.

A fast tricky, winger will make our midfield very strong looking :)

Greggs

Why is no one mentioning Finch or Thomas? :claping hands:

shy_tall_knight

Keep forgetting about Swanson, unconvinced by Fleck can't blame always tactics and managers for his inability to even look like he would score and also for a young lad not convinced that he has any great pace or stamina.

LJC_CCFC

In terms of technical ability Fleck is one of the best players we have. His game isn't about scoring goals and I'd rather he wasn't played further up the field as his lack of pace gets exposed. He's comfortable in possession, can pick a pass and likes a tackle. Ideally we would use Fleck and Vincelot as defensive midfielders in front of the back four, either in a 4-4-2 - as Orient did successfully with Vincelot and James - or a 4-2-3-1.

Nick

Administrator
In terms of technical ability Fleck is one of the best players we have. His game isn't about scoring goals and I'd rather he wasn't played further up the field as his lack of pace gets exposed. He's comfortable in possession, can pick a pass and likes a tackle. Ideally we would use Fleck and Vincelot as defensive midfielders in front of the back four, either in a 4-4-2 - as Orient did successfully with Vincelot and James - or a 4-2-3-1.

If we have 2 sitting in front of the back 4 it scares me like the Pressley days where the centre midfield didn't go past the halfway line.

That would rely on the 2 wide players to get forward and link the play up.

LJC_CCFC

If we have 2 sitting in front of the back 4 it scares me like the Pressley days where the centre midfield didn't go past the halfway line.

Well yes, naturally from an attacking point of view you need the wide players - fullbacks included - to get up and down and be creative. That type of system does work as long as you're prepared to pass the ball.

Terry Gibson's perm

I'd rather we played with 10 than had Finch on the pitch. Although he did make a good clearance vs Yeovil IIRC. Highlight of his season.

I have seen nothing breathtaking in Finch so far,but he is now a year more experienced and probably bigger and physically stronger, he was thrown into the team to early last year and struggled for it.

Lets see how he goes this year.

Hobo

Why is no one mentioning Finch or Thomas? :claping hands:

Finch was tipped in too soon and Thomas was over played so has gone backwards. I wouldn't give up on them just yet. We also have Maddison and possibly Lawton all trying to push on. I can see any of them being useful to have on the bench and as cover for injuries.

lifeskyblue

I agree...he hasn't fully developed yet...I'm sure he will improve with better players around him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJC_CCFC

I'll be amazed if Finch and Thomas go on to anything better than their current level. Non-footballers.

torchomatic

I have to say I really do struggle to see what either of them offer the team.

I'll be amazed if Finch and Thomas go on to anything better than their current level. Non-footballers.

lifeskyblue

We could have said that about most of the players last season...hopefully this time under Mowbray we will have a team we can be proud of and players looking good on the ball and working hard off it. It won't happen overnight but I'm positive we won't be a struggling side come May 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobo

Potentially, it frees up the fullbacks and the midfield 3 to push on in more attacking runs. The key is to keep playing with tempo and requires people running off the ball.

Too many fans focus on the player on the ball and blame him when it slows or breaks down. Often the answer is what has happened off the ball. The ball player should always be given at least two options to pass. The key is shape and positional awareness.

Covstar

John Fleck is only 23 years old. He has many years ahead of him and I believe when given a more attacking role he will flourish and produce the goods. He has great technical ability and can pick a pass out of nowhere. With the signing of Vincelot I'm hoping we will see Fleck further forward and with an addition of a good pacey striker or two I'm sure Fleck would link up well with them.

Hobo

So where does Maddison fit in?

If you had 3 midfield in front of two defensive midfield you could play him in the centre just behind Tudgay. Or you could have him slightly wider cutting inside or give him a roaming role.

ultimately the players should help formulate the style with performances. You always need a few options anyway.

i don't think Maddison will be in from the start anyway. I think to begin with he will be used as an impact player off the bench with a slight change of formation just to make the opposition re think.

Depends how he goes in pre season I suppose?

Users who are viewing this thread