Original Songs of Football Chants (1 Viewer)

skyblue1991

Some football chants, I know the original song. For example, 'stand up, if you love city' was based on Pet Shop Boys - Go West. The Michael Doyle and Kelly in the middle chant was based on Earth Wind and FIre - September.

Does anyone know the original songs of the below chants as I haven't a clue...
  • Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap-clap, City!
  • Mark Robins' Sky Blue Army! (we hate Leicester...)
  • E I E I EI O up the football league we go...
  • We're on the way, we're on the way to the Championship we're on the way...
  • Allez allez allez oh, CCFC, Sky Blue Army, allez allez allez oh
  • Since I was young, I followed them, CCFC, the team for me...
  • In our Coventry homes, we speak with an accent exceedingly rare...
  • (not CCFC related) Leicester, Leicester Leicester! Leicester, Leicester Leicester (also Villa or Chelsea)

Last edited:

Kneeza

The 'In my Coventry homes' one (note: Should be 'home', not homes) is from Pete McGovern's original 'In my Liverpool home'.

skyblue1991

The 'In my Coventry homes' one (note: Should be 'home', not homes) is from Pete McGovern's original 'In my Liverpool home'.
Thanks for this, however no way is it 'In our Coventry home'; it is definitely 'in our Coventry homes'

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've always associated that first one (Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap-clap) with "Hold Tight" by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. It was released in 1966, well before the chant was heard at football grounds.

skyblue1991

I've always associated that first one (Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap-clap) with "Hold Tight" by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. It was released in 1966, well before the chant was heard at football grounds.
Actually I have realised it might be The Specials for that chant:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Actually I have realised it might be The Specials for that chant:

Definitely not the Specials! This clapping chant was around way before the Specials were even heard of! I'm 67 and remember this clapping rhythm from the late 1960's. It was 100% DD,D,B,M & T! Did you even listen to the YouTube link I posted?

PurpleBin

Some football chants, I know the original song. For example, 'stand up, if you love city' was based on Pet Shop Boys - Go West. The Michael Doyle and Kelly in the middle chant was based on Earth Wind and FIre - September.

Does anyone know the original songs of the below chants as I haven't a clue...
  • Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap-clap, City!
  • Mark Robins' Sky Blue Army! (we hate Leicester...)
  • E I E I EI O up the football league we go...
  • We're on the way, we're on the way to the Championship we're on the way...
  • Allez allez allez oh, CCFC, Sky Blue Army, allez allez allez oh
  • Since I was young, I followed them, CCFC, the team for me...
  • In our Coventry homes, we speak with an accent exceedingly rare...
  • (not CCFC related) Leicester, Leicester Leicester! Leicester, Leicester Leicester (also Villa or Chelsea)

Surely some are just songs people have made up? Like a clap along and then City at the end or Mark Robins Sky Blue Army aren't exactly "songs" surely?

Allez Allez Allez was an Italian disco song in the 80s...Righiera the band were called. Football wise it was originally sang by Napoli fans and then River Plate I think. Makes me cringe all the "thats our song" or "you nicked our song"

Users who are viewing this thread