Option for the future to save CCFC (1 Viewer)

Blinxs

We all know the financial mess the club is and that owners have completely mismanaged everything to do with CCFC from BR to SISU and that has brought on protests and boycotts and whatever else over the last few years. Hopefully a takeover can happen and we can be in a better position going forward but what happens if that doesnt happen or it is just another 'SISU' who can't invest in the squad and just continues to plug the gaps? Maybe it is time for the fans to take action and rather than being negative eg protests (i'm all for a protest but it doesnt really help the club directly) maybe we should be positive and start going to the games. This isnt a moan at the stay away fans or the boycotters as everyone has their reason for not going but maybe now is the time to change our views. SISU have struggled to invest mainly i believe from mismanagement but also the fact the gates have been appalling recently (again not a moan as i have only been to 2 games this season and planning just one more before the end of April). I have seen posts recently how the difference between us and Norwich, Southampton, the two Sheffield clubs is the fact they have 20k-30k gates no matter what so maybe it is time for us to do the same regardless.

Despite the fact we might get relegated and some consider this to be our worst season in a very long time, i will be buying a season ticket for the first time (i have supported the team all 25 years of my life, unfortunately i was only 9 months old when we won the fa cup) and i urge people to do the same. I know it is easier said than done and £300 is a lot of money but give SISU or whoever our owners are the funds to do something positive for a change? Who knows what we can acheive with attendances of £25k+ on a regular basis? And in 2 or three years if SISU have still not invested then we the fans can demand everything from them because we would have done our bit.

Sorry for the rally cry but just desperately want to put the negative few years behind us.

Disorganised1

Keep the faith as they say - well i'm City 'till I die, but the constant re-arranging of matches to suit television schedules means I won't be buying any more season tickets.

It's simple ~ Football - 3 o'Clock Saturday.

Gray

there have been 3 homes games rearranged this year (apart from the usuall mid week games) and 2 of them have been due to policing issues..so thats a preety poor excuse in my opinion

Blinxs

My question would then be do you just buy match day tickets for all the 3pm matches? If so then that is fair enough

hutch1972

Success is the only way to drive up crowds ,you only have to look at Stoke! they barely reached 15k while getting promoted then 27000 decide to turn up. All the teams you mentioned have had promotions,play offs etc while we have sat in the depths of this division, that is the reason for poor attendances.
I have no doubt that 25-27000 is there for the taking should we ever get anything resembling a successful season.

skyblueinBaku

I have no doubt that 25-27000 is there for the taking should we ever get anything resembling a successful season.
Even if we end up in Div1? I think that estimate is a bit high.

Disorganised1

True this season I would not have lost much, but the last season I had a season ticket it was 5 games, plus those games played later in the evening meaning I had to leave before the end because the lad had school the next day.

However I really do think football should be on Saturday 99% of the time - they shouldn't be playing some Friday, some 3 different times on Saturday and some Sunday times, just so they can saturate the armchair fan - who realistically is putting money into a few Premier league club pockets.

Football - Saturday 3 O'Clock

WillieStanley

I have said before that I think that relegation would be a disaster but if we do manage to bounce straight back up, via automatic or play-offs, I think we'll see a rise in attendances. I think there'd be an air of "Oh they CAN win something"

Our biggest opportunity of recent times for a turnaround in fortunes on the gates was blown last year. The 21,000 fans who travelled to the Ricoh to watch a Coventry City sat comfortably in the play-offs play the intimidating Leeds United hadn't been for a while, well... a few of them anyway. For us regulars it really was a gutsy and well fought slog which we were unfortunate to lose, for those who had not been in a while... well they saw a side whose tactician was Aidy Boothroyd lose and the rest is history.

Had we won that... who knows... but there have been so many "what ifs" in the past that the people of Coventry who aren't in the habit, really find it a struggle to get the motivation.

Losing former ST holders like Nigel Eccles doesn't help either.

Grendel

No doubt that the stay away fans are a major problem. Support for an area of this size is terrible and always has been. Strange when a Chelsea are in town everyone is a fan. Whoever invests in the club will be cutting costs unless we drive up revenue.
People on here who say they stay away due to ownership, well I don't get it. You either have a pull to attend or you don't and if it wasn't ownership it would be another excuse so OP well done on your purchase and of there were 10,000 more of you we would start to achieve - if only.

@richh87

No doubt that the stay away fans are a major problem. Support for an area of this size is terrible and always has been. Strange when a Chelsea are in town everyone is a fan. Whoever invests in the club will be cutting costs unless we drive up revenue.
People on here who say they stay away due to ownership, well I don't get it. You either have a pull to attend or you don't and if it wasn't ownership it would be another excuse so OP well done on your purchase and of there were 10,000 more of you we would start to achieve - if only.

The people that bought half-City / half-Chelsea scarves pissed me right off. As if we've never played them before. We're not Kenilworth Town...

we used to play them all the time and beat them!

Our fans have taken a unique amount of losing - and for generations so I get their issues.

No season ticket for me next season because i refuse to give SISU a lovely lump sum as a leaving present. I'll pay on the day til they are gone - and once they are i'll buy a ST. It'll be the first time in 18 years i've not had one.

Last edited:

Grendel

The people that bought half-City / half-Chelsea scarves pissed me right off. As if we've never played them before. We're not Kenilworth Town...

we used to play them all the time and beat them!

But that's Coventry for you. The only club in the higher leagues that take more for a midweek cup match at old trafford than a normal home game.

Blinxs

Replying to an earlier question about why i had only been to 2 games was due partly to cost, not really having the money to buy a ticket and travel but also because i didnt want to spend what precious money i had watching some overpaid bunch of players who didnt care for the club. However what my original post was about was trying to change peoples mindsets and to stop the downward spiral we are currently on. People keep talking about Hoffman and his takeover but what if he is the same as SISU, makes promises but doesnt/cant deliver because we still have a monthly loss due to poor attendances. Surely if we had 1 or 2 seasons where we have an average crowd of over £20k regardless of being in the championship or League 1 we should be better off financially than if we keep boycotting the club until there is nothing left. We might have to put up with a rubbish few seasons but when we can afford to put a decent squard together afterwards and challenge not only for League 1 but also the Championship then surely it is worth it? Not saying it would definitly happen but would increase our chances of being more competitive.

EleanorRigby

I still think the location of the ground is a big factor in our poor gates and poor form of course. Okay for the odd game which usually has a large away following to help but a regular 25000+ no way.

canleykid

I agree i travel from Derby it takes me 45 mins however I know people that come from canley on the bus and it takes an hour,the ricoh is a great stadium and has great facilities but it will look like rotherhams ground next season,you will hear the odd cheer but won't see anybody

Users who are viewing this thread