Opinion of Robins from a Barnsley fan (1 Viewer)

skybluesloyal83

I've got some friends who are season ticket holders at barnsley so I text one of them this morning asking him what they thought of mark Robins up there, this is what he text back:
"Robins did a good job of keeping us up and away from relegation but quality of football got worse towards the end and he relied a lot on loan players...he'll stabilize things if that's what you need"

doesnt exactly inspire me but I think i'd still prefer him over ince

PVA

No disrespect to your friend, but that is one persons opinion.

I think on the whole, Barnsley fans opinions of Robins are very high.

Otis

Been trawling through the Barnsley forums and though there's hardly a person extolling his virtues as a great manager, the general consensus seems to be that he did a good job there.

mark82

Wouldn't mind Robins or Ince although wouldn't have been my first choices (or in my top 10 for that matter).

@richh87

Robins out of those. I'm still hanging on to the fact that the Club haven't confirmed the final 3 - so it still could be Dennis Wise :claping hands:

PVA

Wouldn't mind Robins or Ince although wouldn't have been my first choices (or in my top 10 for that matter).

Last year I wanted Thorn sacked after we lost at Brighton I think it was, can't remember. And I remember saying on here I wanted Robins or O'Driscoll. So he's been in my top 2 for a year :)

chiefdave

I would take stabalising right now. We're in free fall so pretty much anything has to be an improvement.

Sterling Archer

If we're going by opinions of fans from clubs that have had the candidates than Robins is so far ahead of Money, Ince, Brown and Wise, its unreal!

Otis

Fair point.

Lots of negative comments from fans from Luton and Notts County and MK Dons and Preston, but very few from the clubs Robins has managed.

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

Who knows how any manager will do at any new club.

We are a club not blessed with financial backing or a stable board. :confused:

Taking the coventry job is probably the most feared job as it can be a career ruiner! :mad:

But miracles do happen :)

skybluesloyal83

No disrespect to your friend, but that is one persons opinion.

I think on the whole, Barnsley fans opinions of Robins are very high.

to be fair i don't think he was implying that he's a bad manager, i think what he's trying to say that he will probably steady the ship and stop the rot but don't expect a miraculous climb to the top of the table. Other barnsley fans i have spoken to seem to have a similar opinion as well.

Otis

I'm just remembering the last time we had someone with the name Robins here. That didn't work out so bad did it

Nonleagueherewecome

Been trawling through the Barnsley forums and though there's hardly a person extolling his virtues as a great manager, the general consensus seems to be that he did a good job there.

You'd have to go back a very long way to find an ex-City manager who we hold in such high regard!

@richh87

If we're going by opinions of fans from clubs that have had the candidates than Robins is so far ahead of Money, Ince, Brown and Wise, its unreal!

Not sure that's true of Wise - not seen any negative comments from teams he managed.

I'd have thought they'd all speak highly of him, as he did very good jobs at all three.

skybluesam66

the interesting thing is that he resigned from barnsley due to "differences with the board"........ how long do we give him ?

Sterling Archer

Not sure that's true of Wise - not seen any negative comments from teams he managed.

I'd have thought they'd all speak highly of him, as he did very good jobs at all three.
I actually know some (believe it or not) sensible Leeds lads, Poyet was apparently the brains behind anything good during that era according to them and Wise lost the plot quite spectacularly after he left. This included playing for draws everywhere and playing players out of position and sticking with his favourites despite leaving better players out.

shmmeee

Robins out of those. I'm still hanging on to the fact that the Club haven't confirmed the final 3 - so it still could be Dennis Wise :claping hands:

No it couldn't Fisher confirmed at the forum (after the show finished and he was just talking to fans) that Wise applied but wasn't interviewed. If I had to guess it'd be because of the stipulation of working with the existing backroom staff, or just the fact that without Poyet he's not very good.

If it's inspirational players who came to Cov and had an impact in their twilight years you're after, we may as well have WGS back.

Covstu

Well i am sure they will make the right decision regardless of who we get...... Hopefully

Tonylinc

No it couldn't Fisher confirmed at the forum (after the show finished and he was just talking to fans) that Wise applied but wasn't interviewed. If I had to guess it'd be because of the stipulation of working with the existing backroom staff, or just the fact that without Poyet he's not very good.

If it's inspirational players who came to Cov and had an impact in their twilight years you're after, we may as well have WGS back.
Fisher seems to be very lose with his tongue at times. Is it after he has had a few drinks?

Suetonius

Doesn't matter who is appointed-if they don't get three years of full support from the owners they will go the way of Dowie,Coleman,Boothroyd etc.

Users who are viewing this thread