One of our own (1 Viewer)

Julie SBA

My first ever thread on SBT :love:

With Ryan making his full league debut today and of course we have the "one of our own" tag, but what does that actually mean to people?

Is it coming through the academy?
being born in Cov?
being a Cov fan?

one of the above or all 3?

I seem to remember Harry Kane was an Arsenal fan as a boy and the Spurs fans sing that he's one of their own

Gary Mcsheffery was all of the above as I think was James Maddison and Jack Burroughs currently. not too sure how many we've had that tick all 3 and does that even matter?

fatso

For me it's coming through our academy.

It's fantastic for the lad, he must be buzzing tonight after making his debut in such a comprehensive victory.
Having Howley and Eccles in the same starting line up is a great example to others in our academy of what can be achieved here.

Hutch11

Someone who came through the academy certainly, local lad , preferable but not really important, fan of the club , icing on the cake.

Welcome to the madhouse

Ricketts

All three in a perfect world. Like Shippers I believe.

I occy see him watching kids football with presumably his younger relatives

Sky blue through and through

JonesBob

Very good question. I think it is a mix of all 3. It's like the statement 'he/she's a legend', when is a person a legend in people's eyes?

rob9872

All three in a perfect world. Like Shippers I believe.

I occy see him watching kids football with presumably his younger relatives

Sky blue through and through
He was born in Leamington and supports Liverpool

Tommo1993

I know Maddison was brought up as a City fan, but I’m sure he’s a fan of Man Utd too. So I’m gonna have to discredit him for that.

rob9872

I know Maddison was brought up as a City fan, but I’m sure he’s a fan of Man Utd too. So I’m gonna have to discredit him for that.
Yep loads of videos as a kid as a utd fan.

Tbh I don't think it matters. They have an affinity coming through the ranks and get their debut as local lads will sways be special. Gets harder as we go up the leagues of course to make that breakthrough.

NorthernWisdom

Yep loads of videos as a kid as a utd fan.

Tbh I don't think it matters. They have an affinity coming through the ranks and get their debut as local lads will sways be special. Gets harder as we go up the leagues of course to make that breakthrough.
Also more likely to get the better youngsters either join or stay with us in the first place mind you.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

My first ever thread on SBT :love:

With Ryan making his full league debut today and of course we have the "one of our own" tag, but what does that actually mean to people?

Is it coming through the academy?
being born in Cov?
being a Cov fan?

one of the above or all 3?

I seem to remember Harry Kane was an Arsenal fan as a boy and the Spurs fans sing that he's one of their own

Gary Mcsheffery was all of the above as I think was James Maddison and Jack Burroughs currently. not too sure how many we've had that tick all 3 and does that even matter?

He's a fan and a player but he's not a Cov Kid, but we won't hold that against him.

SBchimp

He's a fan and a player but he's not a Cov Kid, but we won't hold that against him.
Unfortunately an Everton fan 🤦‍♂️ however.. like Shippers when you come into the Academy at an early age and go right through it you certainly fall in love with the club.
and TBF to Ryan I’ve seen him in the away end a few times wearing a Cov shirt that he’s purchased himself so he certainly has a liking for a lighter shade of blue.

Julie SBA

Unfortunately an Everton fan 🤦‍♂️ however.. like Shippers when you come into the Academy at an early age and go right through it you certainly fall in love with the club.
and TBF to Ryan I’ve seen him in the away end a few times wearing a Cov shirt that he’s purchased himself so he certainly has a liking for a lighter shade of blue.
Everton! glory hunting so-and-so.

Hopefully all these youngsters coming through are given enough opportunity to become fan favourites and club legends

shmmeee

I note you’re staying quiet on whether you failed as a father or if Jack and George are sky blue through and through.

SBchimp

I note you’re staying quiet on whether you failed as a father or if Jack and George are sky blue through and through.

Didn’t think I needed to 😂. I can confirm they share the family obsession.
In fact George trained Saturday morning with the 21s before jumping in his car to drive up to Huddersfield on his own to watch the game.
3 generations that currently go to most games

1678098850228.jpeg

Otis

Didn’t think I needed to 😂. I can confirm they share the family obsession.
In fact George trained Saturday morning with the 21s before jumping in his car to drive up to Huddersfield on his own to watch the game.
3 generations that currently go to most games

View attachment 28640
I wish I had the hair of the bloke on the far right.

That's not me saying he's a fascist or anything.

Is he though?

The far right of the picture.

And if you are at the end on the left, I am not sure you are old enough to post on here and I also doubt whether you are the father to the two boys.

Users who are viewing this thread