one for the veteran cov fans. (1 Viewer)

skybluearmy88

A few years back we decided to take my nan to the football on boxing day as she hadn't been for years and years, but obviously the songs we sing and things we chant have moved on from her day. But anyway we were all watching the game when all of a sudden she stands up and starts shouting " give us the old five" or words to that effect. I just wondered if anyone could shed light on what this actually meant? Or the reason behind it.

Moff

Apologies if my history is a little out, but in the days of Clarrie Bourton and the free scoring team of the thirties, on many occasions we scored a hatful of goals, and often when we had scored four fans would demand a fifth, as in 'give us the old five'

Please feel free to correct if my history is a little out.

egastap

A few years back we decided to take my nan to the football on boxing day as she hadn't been for years and years, but obviously the songs we sing and things we chant have moved on from her day. But anyway we were all watching the game when all of a sudden she stands up and starts shouting " give us the old five" or words to that effect. I just wondered if anyone could shed light on what this actually meant? Or the reason behind it.

It seemed back in those days that the Bantams (as we knew them then) would 'quite often' get 5 goals in a home game. I remember chanting it many times when we'd got to a couple of goals ahead.....just to spur the players on to get that magical number. My avatar is from the City strip in 1954 when I first started watching them. Come on 'the old five'!!

Sbarcher

Think your Granny was being a bit naughty.......
Think she was after the 5-fingered shuffle!!

egastap

Apologies if my history is a little out, but in the days of Clarrie Bourton and the free scoring team of the thirties, on many occasions we scored a hatful of goals, and often when we had scored four fans would demand a fifth, as in 'give us the old five'

Please feel free to correct if my history is a little out.
As stated in my response above Moff, we chanted this in the 50's as well. Remember it as though it was yesterday......sad eh?

skybluearmy88

It just left me a little confused as when she shouted it every one jus looked at her like she was mental. Am glad I no the meaning behind it now, something I have been curious about for a while.

Moff

As stated in my response above Moff, we chanted this in the 50's as well. Remember it as though it was yesterday......sad eh?

Sad just doesnt sum it up.

I might start chanting 'give us the old one'

Disorganised1

I remember it as "Bring on the old 5" But it was before my time really - however occaisionally it would break out in the 60's when we got a few goals up.

Many thanks for your response, I am glad there is some reason behind it and she wasn't going mad lol.

Yes indeed the "Old 5" was based on the 1930's achievements and as a perfect example just look at a sample three seasons and the unbelievable score lines wth CLARIE BOURTON scoring for fun:

1931/1932
6-1
5-1
5-1
5-5
8-0
6-4
5-0
Bourton 49goals in 40 games

1932/1933
6-0
5-0
5-0
5-0
7-0
6-2
Bourton 40 goals in 39 games

1933/1934
7-1
5-3
5-1
5-1
7-3
5-1
5-2
Bourton 25 goals in 30 games

ps I have excluded the numerous 4-0, 4-1,4-2 etc

So there you have it, definite proof that the thirties yielded the best sequence of high scoring and fans can be rightly proud and chant "Old 5" at the current CCFC or is it the "Old 1" (if we are lucky !!!)

PUSB

Otis

Do you think Clarie could still do a job for us now? He could save us for relegation with that sort of firepower.

Even if he is dead.

Users who are viewing this thread