On This Day 1968 (1 Viewer)

Bad Boy

City v Manchester United first time in top flight football at a fire ravaged HR. Won 2-0 goalscorers Machin and Setters. The 'Holy Trinity' was one short, Law didn't play.

It was a shit day.... my sister only went and got married that day so I wasn't there to watch us beat the eventual European Cup winners.

How crap is that!

Magwitch1

Remember it well Cov was invaded by thousands of United fans, I think Ernie Hunt and Chris Cattlin made their debuts or home debut that day, I know Cattli put George Best in his pocket

wingy

City v Manchester United first time in top flight football at a fire ravaged HR. Won 2-0 goalscorers Machin and Setters. The 'Holy Trinity' was one short, Law didn't play.

It was a shit day.... my sister only went and got married that day so I wasn't there to watch us beat the eventual European Cup winners.

How crap is that!
Forever reminded when their anniversary comes .
Unatural that .
I haven't got a. Scooby of any of my siblings lol 🤭

Haha tis a brilliant little anecdote !

Old Warwickshire lad

Have a vague memory of George Best arguing with his bench. Pointing at his legs, then pointing at Spider.
Think he was trying to say he was getting kicked to shit.
Can’t think why. 😂

Irish Sky Blue

I think the crowd was 48k for that game, with thousands in temporary seats in a half burnt down stand. I can’t imagine that H and S standards would allow that to happen today.However, the stand functioned well on that day and for the rest of the season. I was in the West End for a game later in the season when an opposition fan asked me which was the stand that had been burnt down! They must have done a great job in patching it up If he couldn’t tell! It was a great performance from City that day.

Johhny Blue

I was stuck at the “Gang Show” at Coventry theatre. They did at least interrupt the show twice to announce the goals

Magwitch1

Beating United would have been like Sheffield United beating Man City today. I remember Maurice Setters having an outstanding game and scoring, what a good player he was tough as teak, poor old Bobby Charlton must have been black & blue after the game.

Sbarcher

Can't remember too much about it, but didn't the Utd fans "take" the West terrace?

wingy

I was stuck at the “Gang Show” at Coventry theatre. They did at least interrupt the show twice to announce the goals
The timing is slightly off, well about 15yrs actually, but would have been fitting if Andy Dib Dib Dibble had been in goal that day!

dadgad

Machin scored a belter from about 20 yards and then Willie Carr then nutmegged Charlton. Both events brought the house down. 👍😀

Users who are viewing this thread