On the Hill again (1 Viewer)

Matty_CCFC

I have been on the hill a few times and agree it is a good experience and some decent people who know how to make the best of a bad situation.
Like others I have taken on extra work most weekends to keep myself from going insane without a home game.

A few of my mates from Leamington are going up against Wolves, if I can change my work situation I may just join them.

lewys33

I really wanted to try the hill this year but I think I'm going to miss the chance :/ work is hectic until mid-may! Next season it is .......

pusbccfc

The most on the hill was 150 against Gillingham I think. That will be beaten against Wolves.

AndreasB

In the ground it is 20/30 = 150.

So you are saying without ANY justificationto back this up that a football club lies about the attendance figures at its ground? For what reason? The numbers are low enough anyway without this crackpot conspiracy nonsence. it used to get banded around the Ricoh as well as if it was some sort of tax dodge to under report the numbers.

To say there are 150 on the hill this season is complete fantasy as well - I have never counted more than 20-30 up there. Oh and the real bermuda triangle question is Where do they all go to at half time - dont think thats ever been really answered.

TurkeyTrot

So you are saying without ANY justificationto back this up that a football club lies about the attendance figures at its ground? For what reason? The numbers are low enough anyway without this crackpot conspiracy nonsence. it used to get banded around the Ricoh as well as if it was some sort of tax dodge to under report the numbers.

To say there are 150 on the hill this season is complete fantasy as well - I have never counted more than 20-30 up there. Oh and the real bermuda triangle question is Where do they all go to at half time - dont think thats ever been really answered.

Ok I'll play just this once.
The Police say they count everyone who goes into the ground, not season ticket holders who, for whatever reson can't make it or free tickets that are given out and then not used. They count the actual footfall and pass that number on. The figure they give is somewhat different from the figure given by the football club.
I've not counted 150 on the hill although I've only been a few times. Max I've counted was 133.
As explained numerous times on here, the second half everyone moves around to the corner out of view of the home fans, effectively adjacent the home stand where they get a good view of the penalty area (but not much else)
Hope this helps :)

Nick

Administrator
How do the police count? I've never seen a copper. Unless they use cctv or the turnstile men

TurkeyTrot

How do the police count? I've never seen a copper. Unless they use cctv or the turnstile men
Oddly enough I asked the same question when a copper joined us on the hill to tell us the actual figure inside. He said that they have coppers using one of them clickers as fans go through the turnstiles. The difference is always around a couple of hundredish less than the figure announced. Maybe the club count the players, playing staff and the workers. I dunno, don't really care, just passing on what the police have said to me personally.

AndreasB

So the ground figure is pretty accurate and the hill figure is whatever the people on there want to say it is.

Astute

So the ground figure is pretty accurate and the hill figure is whatever the people on there want to say it is.

Does it make much difference if there is a difference of a couple of hundred on who is inside the ground? There is a good chance that quite a few have a season ticket but have given up going for different reasons, and IIRC these are counted if they go or not as they have bought their ticket. We shouldn't be in Northampton. We shouldn't have gates of less than 2,000.

NorthernWisdom

Oddly enough I asked the same question when a copper joined us on the hill to tell us the actual figure inside. He said that they have coppers using one of them clickers as fans go through the turnstiles. The difference is always around a couple of hundredish less than the figure announced. Maybe the club count the players, playing staff and the workers. I dunno, don't really care, just passing on what the police have said to me personally.

That kind of difference wouldn't surprise me tbh. Unused season tickets, tickets not taken up etc. all add up.

It's why the Ricoh culd look deserted at times too, even if the attendance was seemingly quite good.

brinner

It's always a pleasure to meet people and but faces to the names.
May not be a lot of us on the hill some games but it's always fun.
Does look like numbers are swelling, be interesting to see the numbers against Wolves.
I finally popped over to the hill for the 1st time on saturday for half an hour, saw our goal and penalty miss then the missus started moaning it was too cold so we buggerd off!

will pop over for the wolves game, probly leave mrs brinner at home for that 1 :D

pusbccfc

It is obvious when the attendance in the ground is low, because you can compare it to all previous.

Steve.B50

It does not matter how many are or are not in the ground or even on the hill.
Its a personal choice we all make, mine is the Hill.

Nick

Administrator

How can they though? I have never seen a copper anywhere when going into the ground?

Sounds like he was stirring something up or had no idea what he was talking about. ;)

Hobo

Police, clickers, never....what for? I have connections with many football grounds and the police officers who police them. I have never heard of this, if it is true it is unique to Northamptonshire Constabulary. Why would they post an officer with a clicker to every turnstile, when it is in policing terms a very low level event?

NorthernWisdom

How can they though? I have never seen a copper anywhere when going into the ground?

How they do or don't is surely irrelevant though.

People who have tickets not turning up? Well, it happens. The same as some tickets being given away etc.

Happens at every ground for every club, so not quite sure why we get bogged down in arguing about that kind of thing really. It is what it is.

Nick

Administrator
How they do or don't is surely irrelevant though.

People who have tickets not turning up? Well, it happens. The same as some tickets being given away etc.

Happens at every ground for every club, so not quite sure why we get bogged down in arguing about that kind of thing really. It is what it is.

Exactly, people are too obsessed with it.

Police, clickers, never....what for? I have connections with many football grounds and the police officers who police them. I have never heard of this, if it is true it is unique to Northamptonshire Constabulary. Why would they post an officer with a clicker to every turnstile, when it is in policing terms a very low level event?

Don't know if its the same at suxfields as I won't go in there. But at the ricoh , above the turnstiles inside the ground are clickers so maybe the coppers count them. But I would say easily more than 30 on the hill on Saturday and I'll be back on the hill for the yam yam match

simple_simon

It might well be unique to Northamptonshire but the copper who looks after us at away games (Think his name is Nick) told us that they check numbers through the door, they get the accurate numbers from all 7 used gates. I think what they are saying is that what ever is clicked through each gate one is then given to the police probably for H&S.

torchomatic

Works boths ways though Nick, some are obsessed with how many are in the ground and some are obsessed with how many are on the hill.
Makes me smile each time someone comes up with "I've never seen more than 20 or 30"

http://youtu.be/I3YizTdjivQ

I never have until Saturday. Seen as few as four or five. Then again I didn't start going until November, so can't comment on numbers before that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

TurkeyTrot

I never have until Saturday. Seen as few as four or five. Then again I didn't start going until November, so can't comment on numbers before that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
That's fair enough, I'm not a hardened hiller. Probably 5 times on the hill, not through the winter :)

NorthernWisdom

Also tbf, depending on where you are in the stadium you can't see everybody anyway.

Until it gets to 500+ turning up anyway, it's irrelevant. The trust actually got it right with one mailing they sent out, they focussed n some individual stories, gave some personal accounts on someone going to Sixfields under duress, someone on the hill, someone who didn't go anymore.

And that's the right approach in my view, humanise the entire thing.

Leave the numbers to the investment fund!

Hobo

It might well be unique to Northamptonshire but the copper who looks after us at away games (Think his name is Nick) told us that they check numbers through the door, they get the accurate numbers from all 7 used gates. I think what they are saying is that what ever is clicked through each gate one is then given to the police probably for H&S.

Sounds like they get it off the turnstiles then same as the club. Like all other policed matches around the country.

Nick

Administrator
Works boths ways though Nick, some are obsessed with how many are in the ground and some are obsessed with how many are on the hill.
Makes me smile each time someone comes up with "I've never seen more than 20 or 30"

http://youtu.be/I3YizTdjivQ

To be fair, I think the Hill piss taking is usually in reply to somebody who may have been on the hill saying "but it only looks like 150 from the hill". I have said every game fair play to the hillers but most have been night games to be fair so I haven't seen much of them.

Hobo

In fairness Nick the homeless are often invisible at nighttime. Glad you say "fair play" a warm blanket of comfort.

Tommystours

The debate in the playground about who's bag of marbles is bigger will go on until the last game of the season. We have to take the official attendance of the match as accurate, however small or bigger people want the figure to be whether in or out of the ground. I know how many where on the hill at kick off ,as this sad git counted them 58. Which fluctuates as people pop to the pub for a drink or other. Then move to another part of the view point.others join and some go home .thats it no axe to grind. I have friends on the Hill and friends who go in the ground treat them the same.NO ONE friggin died.
PUSB's

Users who are viewing this thread