olympic opening ceremony (1 Viewer)

Marty

Think it's been done well so far although this NHS thing is awful.

Macca

Very entertaining, though if they are trying to get a fair ethnic balance they are trying way too hard which in itself is fairly patronizing

skybluejelly

well i just switched back..its not so bad ..but they seem to be trying too hard to please everyone..it reminds me a bit of a sketch from mock the week when they say they are going to express themselves through dance

Macca

Very entertaining, though if they are trying to get a fair ethnic balance they are trying way too hard which in itself is fairly patronizing

Actually scratch that, I guess it's reflecting London rather than uk which is fair enough. I m rather enjoying it as a whole. I wonder what great Olympian will light torch

CCFCSteve

Imaginative, thoughtful, innovative, quirky, amusing...overall quality

Made you proud to be British.

Ps apart from the French speaker going first, what's all that about ?! If it's for the president it's a joke.

Macca

Imaginative, thoughtful, innovative, quirky, amusing...overall quality

Made you proud to be British.

Ps apart from the French speaker going first, what's all that about ?! If it's for the president it's a joke.

Yes the French thing is annoying me

sw88

Chief Commentator!
The French thing is because the president is French and the IOS are based in Switzerland who predominantly speak French (or so I'm told). French is the Olympic language and takes preference over the home nation language.

I'm waiting to see if the fireworks are half as good as the new year ones!

Oh and I reckon the Internet guy should light it! Where would we be without this guy??

CCFCSteve

The French thing is because the president is French and the IOS are based in Switzerland who predominantly speak French (or so I'm told). French is the Olympic language and takes preference over the home nation language.

Oh and I reckon the Internet guy should light it! Where would we be without this guy??

Good work. Thanks for the explanation. Still sounds stupid though

stupot07

And yet the Olympic games originated in Greece.....

Otis

Really enjoying it.

It's going to be Tuesday before the Zimbawe team get to parade out though.

I was wondering how they were going to stretch it out for 3 And a half hours. I guess this explains it. I am teeing off at 7.10 goodnight all.

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk 2

Grendel

Tad

Great opening. Having Paul McCartney at the end was a stroke of genius! Know one else can clear a room quicker then him.

Darth Robins

The cauldron is pretty incredible too, some more info on it:

Thomas Heatherwick’s design of the Olympic Cauldron has been one of the most closely guarded secrets of the whole Ceremony.

When the competing delegations arrived in London, they each received a copper petal – inscribed with the name of their country and the words ‘XXX Olympiad London 2012’. They carried these petals during the Athletes’ Parade before laying them down.

The seven young Torchbearers move towards the centre of the field of play and ignite a single tiny flame within one of the copper petals on the ground, triggering the ignition of more than 200 petals. The Cauldron’s long, elegant stems gently rise towards each other and converge to form one great Flame of unity – a symbol of the peaceful coming together of nations that is the Olympic Games.

The Cauldron will be moved to take pride of place in the Olympic Stadium within the eyesight of competing athletes – echoes of its location at Wembley for the London 1948 Games.

At the end of the Games, each team will take their petal home and the London 2012 Cauldron will cease to exist. Like a flower that only blooms for the duration of the competition, it’s a temporary representation of the extraordinary transitory community that is the Olympic Games.

Paxman II

Thought it was a 9/10 for sure. really gave the world some idea of Britain and what it stands for. Many would fit more in or take some out but overall a very good show which for once was not geeky and circque de soliel type nonsense. The Bond/Queen thing was amazing. Loved the touches of humour through out and the great Ali was involved too!

Couldn't really ask for more tbf. For once Britain looked good! Well done. The Olympic flame was the best I've seen in any Olympics.

Slightly critique was the overall use of ethnic minorities which to the world may suggest Britian is more ethnic than it actually is. But hey it was good and the volunteers, especially those drummers deserve special praise (bet their arms are hanging off!) :D

Otis

Oh dear, one of the main complaints about the ceremony last night is that it was 'too British.'

Words fail me. I give in. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

CCFC Germany

It was the best opening ceremony in ages.
You guys over there did a pretty brilliant job.
As I love Britain, I loved it being so British.
Only exception was "Forever blowing bubbles"... Didn't need to listen to that... ;)

beduth

Thats the best ever , and iv`e watched most of them .
Theres one thing the Brits do well and that is to put on a show , thats one of the reasons the foreigners love coming to the UK .lets hope Team GB , keep up the standard .:D

BurbageSkyBlues

Like a good book or film, it started slowly, made you wonder where it was going; it then built up into a remarkable portrayal of Britain and the Olympic movement. By the end, I just thought 'wow- fantastic' .

Just a shame for those who didn't, or couldn't, stick with it.

It wasn't about any particular individual part, it was about the whole journey - a bit like what will be needed for a successful league campaign !

Well done to everyone involved, no matter how big or how small a part was played.

stupot07

Just watched to last hour this morning, was brilliant. Having 500 people that built the Olympic village as guard of honour for the torch was a really nice touch.

Users who are viewing this thread