Olympic football debate (1 Viewer)

sky blue john

Two top SPL bosses last night backed the SFA's stance against a Team GB for the London 2012 Olympics by calling it a Mickey Mouse event for football.

I had to laugh at this statement in the daily record I would have thought these two top spl bosses would feel at home plying their trade in this tournament.

SkyBlueMania

The thing I don't get about wanting to have a team GB is everyone is already complaining about how there are too many games in a season, why add another series of pointless games to further knacker them out further?!

ccfc2011

I agree we do not need a team gb when you look at all the nations most of the players picked would
be english.

Ernie Machin

Maybe we need to split the nations up individually for the Olympics. The vast majority of medals won by Britain are English athletes anyway, yet the Scots will be the first to moan about calling Andy Murray British. I'm a supporter of the Union as a whole, but I'm not sure about this Team GB (and NI) business.

egastap

I agree enter as your own nation then that would be good team gb no thanks

The problem with that is Great Britain is a 'Nation', yet England is only a 'Country', same as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. When you are asked for your citizenship at the airport, you are British, not English. That's why we have to enter as a 'Nation'....which is Britain! Most 'Countries' are also 'Nations'....but your not. I know it's complicated; you should try and explain that the number of times I have in North America. Then I have to explain the United Kingdom bit.

LastGarrison

I don't see the problem? The British and Irish Lions have played as a team for years and no-one ever said that this would be the end to all the individual countries teams which I hear people are saying for a reason not to have a GB football team.

I really think it is because it would be English dominated. If I was under 23 and knew my chances of playing in a big tournament were limited I would jump at the chance to play in the Olympics.

Paxman II

"I don't see the problem? The British and Irish Lions have played as a team for years and no-one ever said that this would be the end to all the individual countries teams which I hear people are saying for a reason not to have a GB football team"

Nail on the head!

PS I'm getting sick and tired of this 'nation' nationalistic nonsense. We are all British and I for one who has a Scottish mother and an English father am proud of the fact. There are anomalies in the system yes but that's just an historical thing. We are Brits and as Brits deserve the right - (once in a life time) to represent Britain at the biggest show on earth no matter which sport it is.
Sport should not be about politics and to suggest it would harm the Scottish, Irish and Welsh FA's is farcical.

PPS When McIroy won the US Open I saw a Brit winning for the second year in a row and a dam proud Irishman.
Whe Murray wins Wibledon I will celebrate another British win and be proud that as a half Scot myself he has made it to the top like McIroy from such a small population to be top of the world in sporting prowess.

One thing we Brits do best is negativity and knocking everyone that achieves something. If we are not knocking our brilliant military we are knocking our best sporting assets. Australians have a saying for it that is at times so apt : Whinging poms!

Rant over. :wave:

Macca

Personally being British means nothing to me. Its just a passport and they are handed out like sweets these days. Love the individual character of England, Scotland, Wales and NI and feel very English. Can't see the harm in a GB team though.

Users who are viewing this thread