Olympic football at The Ricoh (City Of Coventry Stadium) (1 Viewer)

Marty

Found a pic.

Dinko-in-the-home-dugout.jpg

Marty

Yeah, the brummies and yam yams I work with are pritty jealous i'm going to watch the Olympics in my home city.:D

Yes & Yes.

Where did you hear that mate? I just phoned the ticket office and the girl on the other end said they only deal with ticket sales for Coventry City and she doesn't have a clue about sales for the Olympic games. :confused:

Marty

Where did you hear that mate? I just phoned the ticket office and the girl on the other end said they only deal with ticket sales for Coventry City and she doesn't have a clue about sales for the Olympic games. :confused:

Was either on the radio or TV, they have pay on the day for Wembley matches too, so they aren't overly concerned about anything happening.

señor Santiago

Just watching on BBC Red Button and noticed there are even coverings on the seats in the dug outs! What sponsor is on them seats that can't be shown?

No need to watch through red button, there are 24 channels go to channel 450 onwards

kdrinkell

Looking forward to Friday,quarter finals...hope GB make it or we'll be watching Brazil I believe

Joy Division

For those who have been to one of the games at the COCS, do you know if the usual car parks in the area are still in operation? I usually use the car park by the canal on Blackburn Road for City games and this would be very handy as its close enough for my old man to walk to. Have people managed to travel okay in general?

Darth Robins

The Japanese fans there at the moment are making plenty of noise, the drum sounds pretty good with the great acoustics in there, a shame we don't make that kind of racket!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
went yesterday ....... was a good day out ......... thought the japanese fans were great, really enjoyed their day and supported the team from start to finish. No problems getting in or getting food & drink (expensive though). All in all enjoyed it :claping hands:

the football itself was decent, the ball was controlled and passed quickly, pressed when necessary all over the pitch, plenty of energy, attacking at speed, shots at goal or decent crosses, the teams well organised and inventive, some tough tackles, composed defending, midfields worked hard tackled and got forward, attackers were available and wanted the ball etc etc ................. nice to see at the Ricoh......... just saying like..........

Joy Division

went yesterday ....... was a good day out ......... thought the japanese fans were great, really enjoyed their day and supported the team from start to finish. No problems getting in or getting food & drink (expensive though). All in all enjoyed it :claping hands:

the football itself was decent, the ball was controlled and passed quickly, pressed when necessary all over the pitch, plenty of energy, attacking at speed, shots at goal or decent crosses, the teams well organised and inventive, some tough tackles, composed defending, midfields worked hard tackled and got forward, attackers were available and wanted the ball etc etc ................. nice to see at the Ricoh......... just saying like..........

I was there too, thought the Japanese fans were great and a real credit to their team.

Whilst I hear what you are saying about the quality of football and I agree the skill level and quality was of a very good standard, there was hardly any pressure from the opposition teams when they did not have the ball which allowed the players time and space to be creative. I thought the Honduras number 7 and UAE number 16 looked quality though.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
i took it that they dropped off and defended their half of the pitch, would say they pressured the ball in own half, but i think the speed of passing generally created spaces.

thought the Japanese no 7 had a good second half........... and how big was that Senegal substitute that came on late in second half!........

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I also went and have to commend the organising committee on the way things ran. I was in hospitality and was very impressed with how well things went.

From the free bus service to and from the ground, to the smoothly ran security checks in the form of customs I thought everything was arranged professionally. The Coventry Ambassadors also were very keen in getting involved in interacting with spectators and done an excellent job.

What else was good to see was fans integrating with no segregation!

The Japanese fans were undoubtably the best bunch of supporters I've seen (or heard as it was) in a long time.

Joy Division

He was a big lad for sure. Looking at the squad list for Senegal, all but two of those players all play for top clubs in Europe compared to the UAE squad, only one of their players plays outside of league football in the UAE. At times you wouldn't have been able to tell who was the more quality team.

WillieStanley

It was a great evening. The weird thing for me was, I was in the away stand!! The queues there were horrendous for food and drink! They'd ran out of food be the second match! Bring back cashless!!

You are right about pressure in the first match. It had its moments, but not many.

I was really impressed with UAE. They had some great players! The Mexican waves were fun, too!

Il Pirata

i took it that they dropped off and defended their half of the pitch, would say they pressured the ball in own half, but i think the speed of passing generally created spaces.

thought the Japanese no 7 had a good second half........... and how big was that Senegal substitute that came on late in second half!........
The number 7 was Yuki Otsu who plays for Borussia MG, very skillful player. It's a shame that both teams were already through in terms of the first game, as it definitely reduced the urgency of the game.

That Senegalese guy was an absolutely tank, it has to be said.

It made a nice change to see different styles of football, and with no pressure in terms of results.

Users who are viewing this thread