Olympic 2012 closing ceremony (1 Viewer)

Marty

Been utter shite so far. If they are going to base it around music then get some decent bands on. We've produced some amazing artists and bands yet we get served up shite like One direction and spice girls. :censored:

cornoccfc

Talking all over Elbow :jerkit:

Announcing the wrong Elbow song- clearly wasn't 'One Day Like This' at the start :jerkit:

Will be glad when the Olympics is all over!

Marty

More Madness. :mad: They proved at the queens jubilee they weren't up to a live performance any more.

Marty

The olympics have been class and you know it Scotty, I'll be there competing in 2016, just need to find a sport I can do to a reasonable level now. ;)

Marty

repeating the same tracks. wtf? A nation that has produced the likes of Paul Weller, Queen, The clash, Kate Bush, Blur and we get repeats of Madness, Pet shop boys and a half arsed sing along of park life. :jerkit:

cornoccfc

The olympics have been class and you know it Scotty, I'll be there competing in 2016, just need to find a sport I can do to a reasonable level now. ;)

Just overkill for me.

Radio 1 covering the torch relay daily didn't help!

Had enough of it, but glad we hosted it, don't get me wrong.

I've got my sport- darts, when it becomes an olympic sport in 2020!

PS. Music now is just a CD of British bands now isn't it?

Marty

Kate bush, Running up that hill, love this track me.

Marty

Just overkill for me.

Radio 1 covering the torch relay daily didn't help!

Had enough of it, but glad we hosted it, don't get me wrong.

I've got my sport- darts, when it becomes an olympic sport in 2020!

PS. Music now is just a CD of British bands now isn't it?

It has been a bit of an anti-climax, with the lack of good events at the end, but it's been an amazing spectacle. I wonder if it's actually possibly to become good enough for a sport in 4 years that you would be picked for the next Olympics??

PS, I think Phil Taylor may have your darts spot on the plane like. ;)

Marty

Bit of David Bowie, :p Love that Pinball wizard track, just a shame it was sung by Kaiser Cheifs.

Grendel

So Jessie J is now Freddie Mercury - unbelievable. Actually reminds me of a Hawkwind concert when Sam Fox joined in on Masters of the Universe - Sam sang better.

Grendel

Shit loads of drugs happened. Shame, in the early 90s he had one of the best rock and roll voices of all time.

Noel's voice is getting better with age though.

Lemmys voice has never changed......

Grendel

What a shambles that was - complete rubbish from start to finish.

Tad

It was music themed. They will never please everyone. Overall, I think it was good. Though I think Jesse J singing with Queen was awful. Eric Idle was pretty funny, not sure what they were trying to go for putting Indian lightbulb changing music in though. It's meant to be about the UK.

Last edited:

dutchman

I was going for the whole set old chap!

Rather you than me :laugh:

article-2187478-148566C4000005DC-770_306x675.jpg

AngryAnt

I dunno, i pretty much enjoyed it. Only a few bad points (jesse j being one of them along with the rapping). The stage looked great however and loved seeing the union flag everywhere, just a shame its had to end.

Otis

Think people on here are being rather unfair.

The problem was in the delivery and sound problems etc. it was very messy to watch for sure, but if you look at it in summary you had represented The Beatles, John Lennon, The Kinks, The Who, Bowie, Bee Gees, Queen, Blur, Oasis, Muse, Elbow, Madness, Spice Girls, George Michael, Jessie J, Tiny Tempah, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Pet Shop Boys, Fatboy Slim ............

Remember, this was a message to the world so I think they pretty much represented the globally recognised UK music scene rather well to be honest. Can't see there was too much missing.

Not sure what else people wanted. Wasn't supposed to be a concert of your favourite bands, it was supposed to be a representation of UK music. Punk was covered very well during the opening ceremony so was notable by it's absence last night. Who else were you expecting?

:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

CCFCSteve

The problem was in the delivery and sound problems etc. it was very messy to watch for sure, but if you look at it in summary you had represented The Beatles, John Lennon, The Kinks, The Who, Bowie, Bee Gees, Queen, Blur, Oasis, Muse, Elbow, Madness, Spice Girls, George Michael, Jessie J, Tiny Tempah, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Pet Shop Boys, Fatboy Slim ............

Remember, this was a message to the world so I think they pretty much represented the globally recognised UK music scene rather well to be honest. Can't see there was too much missing.

Not sure what else people wanted. Wasn't supposed to be a concert of your favourite bands, it was supposed to be a representation of UK music. Punk was covered very well during the opening ceremony so was notable by it's absence last night. Who else were you expecting?

I agree Otis, people cant really complain about the cross section of artists they covered, however....I would say two things though, George Michaels second song (and his dancing) what was all that about ?! Also, when they just repeated the live songs when the athletes were walking out was sloppy, there was loads of great tracks they couldve played.

As a spectacle it was pretty impressive still but not really a patch on the opening ceremony. Great games overall though, gutted its over.

RichieGunns

It has been a bit of an anti-climax, with the lack of good events at the end, but it's been an amazing spectacle. I wonder if it's actually possibly to become good enough for a sport in 4 years that you would be picked for the next Olympics??

PS, I think Phil Taylor may have your darts spot on the plane like. ;)

It is possible. One of the rowing lasses only started doing it three years ago. She was in the army though.

I'm thinking about taking canooing back up and seeing if they'res a club nearby me that does rowing...

RichieGunns

It was music themed. They will never please everyone. Overall, I think it was good. Though I think Jesse J singing with Queen was awful. Eric Idle was pretty funny, not sure what they were trying to go for putting Indian lightbulb changing music in though. It's meant to be about the UK.

Tad that was about the UK. The Indian music section was celebrating Britians cultural diversity! Plus the fact that every single member of that Indian Band (if they are called a band) are born in the UK and have featured a lot over the years in the british music industry doing backing for songs etc and other such things in the industry.

You couldn't have kept them out of it and just because the music origionates from Indian etc doesn't mean the people playing it are any less British!

RichieGunns

I agree Otis, people cant really complain about the cross section of artists they covered, however....I would say two things though, George Michaels second song (and his dancing) what was all that about ?! Also, when they just repeated the live songs when the athletes were walking out was sloppy, there was loads of great tracks they couldve played.

As a spectacle it was pretty impressive still but not really a patch on the opening ceremony. Great games overall though, gutted its over.

His second song (Called 'White Light') is about his near death experience a few months ago when he nearly died of pneumonia. I also think its appt for our country as well. We've been wallowing in our past imperilism for many many years and in truth i believe we lost our identity.

I believe this Olympics has resurrected our country, showed everyone what it means to be British. 'White Light' was a clear indication that Britain is not dead, it is still alive and that it and everyone living in it have so much more to do and offer to the world. So i can't think of a better song for George to sing!

I for one would have loved to have seen Artists like Elton John, Phil Collins and Simply Red on the stage too but you can't have everyone, can you. Still puzzled why they had 1 direction. I mean, they mimed :/

Then again so did Anni Lennox and Russell Howard. And everyone seems to bash Jessie J about her singing but in truth she has a fantastic voice, no mimming from her in that performance at all. And don't you think the serviving members of Queen would have chosen who sung with them. They chose Jessie J because they felt she was someone who could do the job, so as much as you might hate it, Queen see the talent she has, so accept it i guess ;)

Oh and yeh think about how much of a logistical nightmare it must have been to get all those olympians into that union jack? Wouldn't you go for a simple repeat music option if you had that many people to move??

CCFCSteve

His second song (Called 'White Light') is about his near death experience a few months ago when he nearly died of pneumonia. I also think its appt for our country as well. We've been wallowing in our past imperilism for many many years and in truth i believe we lost our identity.

I believe this Olympics has resurrected our country, showed everyone what it means to be British. 'White Light' was a clear indication that Britain is not dead, it is still alive and that it and everyone living in it have so much more to do and offer to the world. So i can't think of a better song for George to sing!

I for one would have loved to have seen Artists like Elton John, Phil Collins and Simply Red on the stage too but you can't have everyone, can you. Still puzzled why they had 1 direction. I mean, they mimed :/

Then again so did Anni Lennox and Russell Howard. And everyone seems to bash Jessie J about her singing but in truth she has a fantastic voice, no mimming from her in that performance at all. And don't you think the serviving members of Queen would have chosen who sung with them. They chose Jessie J because they felt she was someone who could do the job, so as much as you might hate it, Queen see the talent she has, so accept it i guess ;)

Oh and yeh think about how much of a logistical nightmare it must have been to get all those olympians into that union jack? Wouldn't you go for a simple repeat music option if you had that many people to move??

Id never heard it before, but if thats the inspiration behind the song then fair enough. I personally woulve preferred something else (and his gyrating was a little disturbing)

Appreciate it was probably logistically tricky to move that many people but Im sure the musical director or his assistant couldve put on a CD to play a couple of classic British songs that we hadnt heard whilst the athletes walk on finished.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Didn't watch it, didn't watch the opening thing and didn't watch the sporty bits in between either! :)

Diehard Si

It lost me for bits at times but finshed well.

Massive respect to Gary Barlow for doing that so soon after his loss. Absolute legend. They should have let Take That do more songs to be fair, and drop some of the crap acts they had on.

Last edited:

Grendel

I saw the drummer and some bloke murdering Wish You Were Here and the Queen bit was awful - couldn't they have got Paul Rogers at least.

Users who are viewing this thread