Old hardrive (2 Viewers)

Marty

I have an old hardrive that I want to move some files from, onto my current pc, how is this possible? Obviously I'll need to plug in but it will have an old operating system (maybe Windows XP), or would I just be better off booting into the old hardrive, transfering the data to a stick then transfering again on the current harddrive.

Any help is much appreciated.

olderskyblue

Lots more qualified than me on here, but I attached an old drive to my current system with a specific adaptor to USB.

Marty

What sort of hard drive connection is it? SATA / IDE?

I'm not sure, but I think it will be IDE as it was a pc from maybe 2003, where the newer one was from about 2015.

olderskyblue

9F87998A-D1CF-49E5-BF4C-C12808F2451D.jpeg Top one is SATA, bottom is IDE

olderskyblue

I have the IDE adaptor. You’re welcome to try it . Pretty cheap anyway.

olderskyblue

Marty

I assume you will plug it in as a 2nd disc?

I've taken out my SSD (newer) and put in the HDD (older). It's having trouble starting tbf, keeps saying it needs repair and I let it do it's thing, then it restarts and does the same thing.

olderskyblue

I've taken out my SSD (newer) and put in the HDD (older). It's having trouble starting tbf, keeps saying it needs repair and I let it do it's thing, then it restarts and does the same thing.

Couldnt you have just attached it as a 2nd disc, leave the current disc in place, using the current OS. Then search it for the files you need? Nick will know more?

Marty

Couldnt you have just attached it as a 2nd disc, leave the current disc in place, using the current OS. Then search it for the files you need? Nick will know more?

I don't know tbh, I thought I may need to launch that operating system anyway to access the contents?

Marty

I've re-plugged my main one in and put the older one as a second HDD, I can access everything, takes a while, but it's working, thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread