Old expressions your parents/grandparents used (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Can't remember too many.
My father used to say of a poor boxer "He couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag".
If a footballer dribbled past a few defenders he would say "He went though them like a packet of salts".
If you were getting exasperated at searching for a lost item, my mother was fond of saying "It must be somewhere".
Anyone else got any good examples?

bringbackrattles

My mum would say to me if I asked to borrow money " you should eke your money out. " Meaning not spend it all at once. My dad would say about a soft footballer " He's a right Jessie. " He'd be saying that a lot at games these days ! "

olderskyblue

Can't remember too many.

If a footballer dribbled past a few defenders he would say "He went though them like a packet of salts".

My grandad used to say "like epsom salts" a laxative when taken with water.

shmmeee

My Great Uncle used to say “Eat what you can and the rest rub in your hair”. Still use that today with my kids.

bezzer

If I used to turn up at my Nan's house in a T-shirt and it wasn't 80+ outside she'd say I'd catch my death.

My Dad used to comment on crap players (usually ours) saying they were 'Good off the ball' or they 'Couldn't trap a bag of cement'

Monners

My parents, and grandparents etc..were Irish - where to begin!?

200w.gif

Blarney Castle in case anyone is wondering

vow

"Go and play on the A45" was a favourite of my parents...

bringbackrattles

My elderly Uncle Jack who lived in Walsgrave would say to anyone going to the City centre to shop:" Are you going to Coventry ? " Even as a kid I thought that doesn't make sense !

Gazolba

My mum would say to me if I asked to borrow money " you should eke your money out. " Meaning not spend it all at once. My dad would say about a soft footballer " He's a right Jessie. " He'd be saying that a lot at games these days ! "
Was you Dad from the north of England? I think that's a northern (or perhaps Scottish) expression (Jessie I mean).

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

Walsgrave used to be a village outside Cov didn’t it? Until Cov consumed it. Earlsdon too IIRC.
Yes it was a village, but inside Coventry. My mum would do his shopping in Ball Hill and in the city centre. My dad said He was talking stupid calling it going to Coventry, but he kept saying it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Just going off subject slightly, this got me thinking of when my mam got her first telephone installed. It was around 1967 or so. She lived in Clifford Bridge Rd back then and she would answer the phone in a posh English voice: "Hello, Walsgrave on Sowe 4321 (or whatever the number was.) If it was one of us kids or a friend of hers, it was "Garn, yer daft wee ting. What'll yis be wantin'?" We used to rib her all the time about her "telephone voice"!

Gazolba

I remember a couple more:
My mother used to use the expression "Lord, love a duck" whenever she was shocked or surprised at something.
My father when he was scared of something (which wasn't often) would say "it put the wind up me".
I haven't heard either expression in decades.

Sick Boy

Just going off subject slightly, this got me thinking of when my mam got her first telephone installed. It was around 1967 or so. She lived in Clifford Bridge Rd back then and she would answer the phone in a posh English voice: "Hello, Walsgrave on Sowe 4321 (or whatever the number was.) If it was one of us kids or a friend of hers, it was "Garn, yer daft wee ting. What'll yis be wantin'?" We used to rib her all the time about her "telephone voice"!

This made me smile, my grandmother was just the same...my mother does the posh English voice on the phone to strangers as well hahaha

Houchens Head

I remember a couple more:
My mother used to use the expression "Lord, love a duck" whenever she was shocked or surprised at something.
My father when he was scared of something (which wasn't often) would say "it put the wind up me".
I haven't heard either expression in decades.
I think they go back to the 40's Gazolba. I've heard those expressions in old films, the sort of Ealing Comedy type that actors like Stanley Holloway would star in.

wingy

And another my mam always said when asked what was for dinner/ tea/ supper etc, was "Shit with sugar on it!" :emoji_smile:
We used to have a saying for a butter or margerine sandwich sprinkled with sugar, called a piecey.
Not sure where it came from
Dad was from Dublin but got a feeling its derived from Scotland.
Also pet name for genetalia was B side, beside.
Don't know what they came up with for our sisters lol.

Houchens Head

We used to have a saying for a butter or margerine sandwich sprinkled with sugar, called a piecey.
Not sure where it came from
Dad was from Dublin but got a feeling its derived from Scotland.
Also pet name for genetalia was B side, beside.
Don't know what they came up with for our sisters lol.
Bloody hell Wingy! Haven't heard that for years! My Mam was from Cork so it's possibly an Irish saying? I used to love a "piecey"

oscillatewildly

On Mum's side, My Grandad was a Welshman and Nan was from Burnley (Padiham.)
In a moment of exasperation or surprise, Grandad would utter "Stone the crows"!
If me or my younger brother were playing up or just generally causing mischief, my Nan would admonish: "You'll end up getting a four penny 'un".

Gazolba

On Mum's side, My Grandad was a Welshman and Nan was from Burnley (Padiham.)
In a moment of exasperation or surprise, Grandad would utter "Stone the crows"!
If me or my younger brother were playing up or just generally causing mischief, my Nan would admonish: "You'll end up getting a four penny 'un".
My father would say "Stop doing that or I'll box your ears".

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

All from my nan:
"I'm a Cov kid with a button on me hat"
"I'm not well and no-one will let me be bad"
if she forgot something "I've been to bed since then"

And she did the posh telephone voice too, but also with strangers in person.

ovduk78

Black over Bill’s Mothers.
My dad used to say that. He said it once and someone asked him who Bill was and where did he live?
If he caught us swearing he used to say that he knew language that would make our hair curl. He didn't. If my mum caught us swearing she would say that she'd was our mouths out with soap.

Sky_Blue_Daz

One me dad uses is “well fuck my old boots “

Houchens Head

"Make sure you wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident!" What are the paramedics going to say? 'My God! I'm not touching him! Have you seen his underpants? Bloody filthy!'

Users who are viewing this thread