Oirish Election (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Growth is in high tech sectors , not necessarily large employers.
But it's the wealth generated from the low corporation tax seems to have funded a lot of it so that's not necessarily wealth that's going to filter down. It's why Ireland (with Luxemburg, Malta and 1 other) are blocking the move to uniform tax policies.
I'm guessing that's also part of the reason why, despite growth, the ruling party has seen its vote crash.

David O'Day

I'm guessing that's also part of the reason why, despite growth, the ruling party has seen its vote crash.

Yep it's the high housing costs, high general cost of living, poor healthcare and education that has done for the big 2. They have basically ruled Ireland for a 100 years between them and Ireland is about ready for change,

Irish Sky Blue

PR is surely a much fairer way of electing a government. How can it be right that with only 43.6% of those who voted, voting for them, the Conservatives end up with an 80 seat majority? 56.4% of those who voted didn’t want them. Where I live a Tory has been elected for at least the last three elections. This means that my vote (my voice) and that of thousands of others counts for nothing due to the first past the post system. (I am well aware this system has worked for Labour in the past too. It is still unfair and needs to be changed).

David O'Day

PR is surely a much fairer way of electing a government. How can it be right that with only 43.6% of those who voted, voting for them, the Conservatives end up with an 80 seat majority? 56.4% of those who voted didn’t want them. Where I live a Tory has been elected for at least the last three elections. This means that my vote (my voice) and that of thousands of others counts for nothing due to the first past the post system. (I am well aware this system has worked for Labour in the past too. It is still unfair and needs to be changed).

Full PR would remove the traditional local mp but something like the Scottish additional meber system would be great. Constituency MP and a top up from a local list to make it more proportional.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Full PR would remove the traditional local mp but something like the Scottish additional meber system would be great. Constituency MP and a top up from a local list to make it more proportional.

FPTP for constituency MP's/lower house. PR/% overall vote for upper chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread