Oh to be Hull - why can't Coventry Council halp CCFC (1 Viewer)

skyblueexile

I've posted this fact before but repeat it to show Coventry City Council there are solutions - they can help - BUT DO THEY WANT TO

Around 4 years ago I attended a function in Hull sitting alongside a recently elected member of the new council. She moaned about the way the previous council had helped Hull City FC - to fill the newly built stadium they allowed them RENT FREE use of the stadium then PAY THEM to rent back office space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I know City are a business and the stadium must make a profit but WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE WHY CAN'T THEY HELP THE CLUB - they are part of the city's history.

True I am not a ratepayer of Coventry - but how they can just ignore the plight of CCFC is beyond me.

The money has been spent its not costing them anything now - help push through the 50% sale forget £680,000 a year and help the club back on its feet. There investment remains for the city and when success comes they can start charging again.

Bluegloucester

I've posted this fact before but repeat it to show Coventry City Council there are solutions - they can help - BUT DO THEY WANT TO

Around 4 years ago I attended a function in Hull sitting alongside a recently elected member of the new council. She moaned about the way the previous council had helped Hull City FC - to fill the newly built stadium they allowed them RENT FREE use of the stadium then PAY THEM to rent back office space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I know City are a business and the stadium must make a profit but WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE WHY CAN'T THEY HELP THE CLUB - they are part of the city's history.

True I am not a ratepayer of Coventry - but how they can just ignore the plight of CCFC is beyond me.

The money has been spent its not costing them anything now - help push through the 50% sale forget £680,000 a year and help the club back on its feet. There investment remains for the city and when success comes they can start charging again.
Good afternoon Mr Fletcher

Wrenstreetcarpark

Because Hull City Council got the money from the sale of their telephone company: it had been the only independent phone company in the UK. They used some of the windfall profit to build the stadium and needed no rent from the clubs that use it. Ricoh is a different case completely.

skyblueexile

Must agree to disagree - yes they paid from windfall - but Coventry they will still own it. The club represents the City and they need help

I am not associated in anyway with the club but have supported the club for 50+ years

skyblueexile

Must agree to disagree - yes they paid from windfall - but Coventry they will still own it. The club represents the City and they need help

I am not associated in anyway with the club but have supported the club for 50+ years

Disorganised1

Coventry City Council would struggle to justify using tax payers money to invest in a loss making facility. Which is what it remains at the moment.

As someone who does pay council tax in Coventry I was against the council getting involved in the first place. Admittedly the stadium and facilities have paid off since then, but would we have got the world cup if Villa Park hadn't been closed for repairs ?

SkyBlueCharlie

Coventry City Council would struggle to justify using tax payers money to invest in a loss making facility. Which is what it remains at the moment.QUOTE]

I thought that ACL's accounts showed that they were making a profit and expecting to increase it in their current trading year?

Ashdown1

The difference here is the out of town shady hedge fund from London, who in their right mind would offer to sell them the stadium and all of that prime building land around it without serious clauses built in to protect the future of the football club. I wouldn't mind seeing it all developed and smartened up to compliment the stadium and railway station but I'd rather it be done to the profit and benefit of local people. This charade that SISU and creepy Tim give a fig about CCFC or indeed the City is beginning to grate.

SkyBlueCharlie

skyblueexile, serious question, for clarity, who ownes Hull City FC?

Answer to my own question having done a little research (Wikipedia)....Hull is owned by a consortium of local business men and a Media company (20%) that is also owned by a local business man, all of whom appear to be long time Hull fans. All upfront, transparent and accountable. If CCFC was the same then I expect we would not be in the position we are now.

Black6Osprey

I dont think Coventry Council and the word help have been formally introduced.

I still point to Ipswich and their 100% council owned ground. Rent £30,000 per year.

JHarding1987

I dont think Coventry Council and the word help have been formally introduced.<br />
<br />
I still point to Ipswich and their 100% council owned ground. Rent £30,000 per year.
<br /> Bang on Sire! Bang on. Too many Brummie CUNTS at Cov City Council
<br />

coundonskyblue

So would you be happy if the council was to spend millions on buying the bpa so they could give it to the rugby club, then spend millions on buying the SkyDome arena so they can give it to the blaze?

skyblueexile

Not asking for it to be given they will still own

The money is already spent - all I ask for is giving them grace to find there feet. We have struggled for years because of the issues of the 1990s

other councils help the place will not lose money. Yes it helps SISU but it helps CCfc as an entity more

Astute

Reality check time here.

There is a recession on. Local councils are making people redundant. How would these people feel if a council could afford to help a hedge fund but you lost your job as they couldn't afford your wages?

Yes it is our football club. There are more important things out there though. Disabled, old, hospitals, charities and many more organisations are losing out. They need money before our bloody football club. You know......things that are life changing, not a sport that a lot of us think a lot of.

Johnnythespider

Just one question skyblueintextile what happens to the higgs charity in all this generosity ?

crowsnest

wingy

What everyone seems to forget ,especially referring to other teams grounds /arrangements ,is the green

bit in the middle ,specifically for the use of the team,denied ACL/Council from developing the site into a different monster ,be that even more

retail ,or more pertinently dedicated to Exhibition/Concert use.For that I'm affraid our club should pay a different premium to

other clubs.

chiefdave

What everyone seems to forget ,especially referring to other teams grounds /arrangements ,is the green

bit in the middle ,specifically for the use of the team,denied ACL/Council from developing the site into a different monster ,be that even more

retail ,or more pertinently dedicated to Exhibition/Concert use.For that I'm affraid our club should pay a different premium to

other clubs.

didn't the council own the land for years and leave it wasteland? if they'd wanted to so desperately to do something with it why didn't they do it then when they economy was booming and people were throwing money around?

Astute

didn't the council own the land for years and leave it wasteland? if they'd wanted to so desperately to do something with it why didn't they do it then when they economy was booming and people were throwing money around?

The ground was contaminated. IIRC CCFC paid millions for this to be done. Then everything went tits up.

Users who are viewing this thread