Oh Lord - RIP John Sillett (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Only put this up last week as well

Rip
baf92a841b6934b77961c3970d839cb7.jpg

Snouty72

Just heard the sad news. Was a true city legend. Thanks for giving me one of the greatest days of my life in 87. RIP

JAM See

RIP John.

Thanks for the memories.

tisza

Welled up on this sad news.
Had the pleasure of meeting John many times. Lovely man , great character.
And the memories of that period of City history are happy ones - not just the Cup win.

stevefloyd

OMG ...I have just seen this so so so sad
...RIP Mr John Sillett you gave our club and city one of its finest moments

greys4life

CWR doing an hour of tributes to the great man. Dave Bennett on now finding it difficult to speak.

RIP Snoz thanks for everything.

Perryccfc

I was born in 88 so slightly before my time. But the FA Cup win is still our clubs proudest moment, and safely the best day my dad and uncle had supporting cov, and a massive part of that is down to John. So all I can say is thank you, and rest in peace. Thoughts with his family.

Moff

The tributes will say it better than I will but... best manager in my lifetime, and probably the club's lifetime.

Not just the cup win, but the League Cup semi final, and a genuine title push until we fell away last third of the season - we'd have finished higher that year if there was the incentive of European football, too.

Nobody's done it better.

Youve summed it up better than I could.

Truly memorable years watching Sillett’s teams, Cup Win, semi finals, quarter finals and great attacking play with a wonderful team spirit, and some unbelievable goals (Speedies chip at Norwich comes to mind)

A great man, and servant to our club, he really is, like George Curtis, a club legend and will be truly missed.

Grendel

He was our best manager.

Turned a relegation threatened side into a Cup winning side that was a genuine title challenger at one point

Resurrected careers especially of Regis and Bennett who were looking before he came like also rans

it was a crime that he wasn’t given a role in the club when they dumped him. He had a real fondness for it and was a great character who still had lots to offer

it’s sad but he was a funny guy who left a lot of great memories

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Awful news.
They say no one is bigger than their club but football clubs are built on history and characters. We've lost one of our giant cornerstones of the club today. John Sillett will always be with us in spirit and in our hearts . Thank you for what you brought us Sir John. You made me very proud.

skybluesam66

Only just heard this - Absolute Legend - will join JH/GC and Cyrille Regis in the Legends club in heaven
We should give him a proper send off on Saturday - no excuse for anybody who loves this club, not to be there to show our respect to a genius and a gentleman

tigersb

RIP John
A legend

Offhegoes

His achievement of winning us the FA Cup in 1987 has probably been devalued in the recent years, due to the lack of importance given to the competition by so called bigger clubs. However in 1987, winning the cup was just as important as the league title for every club. He was an infectious, jolly, humorous character, but also a shrewd manager, who could build a team, and spot a player (he found Peter Ndlovu).
Terribly sad news, and wish his family all the best at this time.

Disgruntled Sky Blue

Not wanting to sound dramatic having never met him but it's like losing a loved one. It just feels like a more than significant chunk of my early twenties has just been ripped away leaving nothing but a gut wrenching emotion. Awful news to wake up to.

Thoughts and prayers for his wife and family.

RIP Big Fat John Sky Blue Army!

Users who are viewing this thread