Oggy (1 Viewer)

Covkid1968#

If I miss a game I look forward to listening to that big beautiful man

Terry Gibson's perm

He has recent knowledge of the dressing room and the people within unlike Bennett who is very poor on there

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Bring back Geoff Foster, used to love it when Mark Robins took the mick.

Adge

Oggy knows his football to be fair to him. Well he should do after being involved in it for 40 years!
Hope he gets the gig again next season.

Woolly68

Oggy would also be great at reading bedtime stories. He’s got a soothing tone, a calming presence. He has been a positive inclusion this season. Clive is crap. Sorry, that’s my view as someone who has listened to a lot of games in the last 2 seasons from afar. Is there no one better? What about Martin?

usskyblue

Toby honest...I’m usually not keen on Clive and Oggy...

...until I listen to the generic commentary on ESPN+...

...then I miss the passion

Skybluefaz

Oggy is better at getting a bit out of the callers than Clive. When some sausage rings in and says "I thought we was really good" then stops talking. Oggy, like on Tuesday will probe about incidents in the game. He was asking whether callers had seen the Marosi mistake and whether they thought someone had collided with him. Opens up a bit more conversation, you'd think Clive would be skilled in that being the 'professional'

Terry Gibson's perm

Clive is terrible at the football side of things but is actually quite good at the cricket commentary.

D

Deleted member 4439

Talks a lot of sense even if there's not a lot of cutting insights in there. But boy is he defensive when anybody mentions Burge.

SBbucks

Talks a lot of sense even if there's not a lot of cutting insights in there. But boy is he defensive when anybody mentions Burge.
I only tend to hear 20-30 minutes after the matches, but Oggy has been a breath of fresh air compared to Benno; he has taken to broadcasting very quickly and is very knowledgeable/professional. It just needs Clive to learn from him now, although that is probably a lost cause. I physically cannot listen to Benno, he is completely inarticulate and talks in cliches from the 1980s. Real shame as he was a fantastic player for us and I really wanted to like him as a broadcaster.

stay_up_skyblues

Oggy has been a breath of fresh air. As for Clive, he does what he does well. I think Sky Sports and Talk Sport coverage/commentary distorts what we should expect. Clive and Martin travel together to the games in a Ford Fiesta with BBC stickers on the side. A far cry from Jamie Redknapp’s Bentley and the like. You get what you pay for in life.

LilleSkyBlue

Horrible dialect but knows his stuff our Oggy

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Ha ha, you beat me to it. I really like his Notts accent - and the way he talks about the unfolding match from a player's perspective. This struck me recently when he was discussing 'playing into the elements'. He seems instinctively to be switched into the pattern of the game and players' reactions. He's also reassuringly on our side the whole time without any fan-like posturing.

Last edited:

better days

I think he's like that for all goalkeepers
Goalkeeper's union - it is a vulnerable position to play
A forward can miss 5 chances but if he scores two the others are forgiven
If a keeper commits a howler after 5 brilliant saves we only remember the cock up

SBbucks

Oggy has been a breath of fresh air. As for Clive, he does what he does well. I think Sky Sports and Talk Sport coverage/commentary distorts what we should expect. Clive and Martin travel together to the games in a Ford Fiesta with BBC stickers on the side. A far cry from Jamie Redknapp’s Bentley and the like. You get what you pay for in life.
Not really worried how he travels to games. His job is as a commentator for the public funded broadcaster and we should expect a basic level of competence which sadly he doesn't show. It was only when I watched the Fleetwood game on ifollow that I realised the sheer number of mistakes he makes; apart from regularly getting the opposition wrong & continual mis-identification of players, he was still describing Shipley's contributions 15 minutes after Shipley had been taken off. And I know from regular comments on here that this was not just a one-time "bad day at the office".

wingy

Ha ha, you beat me to it. I really like his Notts accent - and the way he talks about the unfolding match from a player's perspective. This struck me recently when he was discussing playing into the elements. He seems instinctively to be switched into the pattern of the game and players' reactions. He's also reassuringly on our side the whole time without any fan-like posturing.
Yes he's Very tuned in and insightful.

Grendel

Not really worried how he travels to games. His job is as a commentator for the public funded broadcaster and we should expect a basic level of competence which sadly he doesn't show. It was only when I watched the Fleetwood game on ifollow that I realised the sheer number of mistakes he makes; apart from regularly getting the opposition wrong & continual mis-identification of players, he was still describing Shipley's contributions 15 minutes after Shipley had been taken off. And I know from regular comments on here that this was not just a one-time "bad day at the office".

he’s miles better than most local commentators

Users who are viewing this thread