Offside law change (2 Viewers)

Paxman II

With such fine margins its difficult to accept a mm offside or should we say your toenail was offside? Common sense must rule. Simply stretch the offside distance to be enough to clearly and visably see 6 inches beyond the last man as the ball is kicked. That is visable to the naked eye in real time movement, but still extremely close to call. VAR would then confirm it was within this tolerance.
The current system is absurd where an elbow is shown to be offside while his feet remain onside? Come on lets have some common sense.

Sky Blue Pete

With such fine margins its difficult to accept a mm offside or should we say your toenail was offside? Common sense must rule. Simply stretch the offside distance to be enough to clearly and visably see 6 inches beyond the last man as the ball is kicked. That is visable to the naked eye in real time movement, but still extremely close to call. VAR would then confirm it was within this tolerance.
The current system is absurd where an elbow is shown to be offside while his feet remain onside? Come on lets have some common sense.
Well an elbow wouldn’t be offside

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I still think the 'deliberate handball' rule is stupid. A ball hitting a hand accidentally can have a monumental effect on whether a goal is scored or not. Most handballs I see given don't appear to be deliberate. 'Unnatural position' is also stupid - if you slide in the unnatural position is having your arm locked by your side or across your chest. The natural position is away from the body as a stabiliser.

Otis

VAR should check and if not immediately obvious to the eye then play on/give the goal.
Exactly what I have said too. That Wolves one the other night should clearly have stood.

No-one in the entire stadium thought that was offside. That would have taken 5 seconds tops. One look, no clear and obvious error, goal given.

Gazolba

Just bin the offside rule completely...
Then you would just have a couple of strikers hanging around the opponents goal waiting for a big hoof up field.
That's why the offside rule was introduced in the first place.

Otis

Then you would just have a couple of strikers hanging around the opponents goal waiting for a big hoof up field.
Wycombe would win the Premier League and be playing in Europe.

King of the Lesbians

Yeah, it would change the game a bit but I'd rather that than listening to a couple of bald fuckers endlessly bitching about 'clear and obvious' on MOTD every week.

shmmeee

Just do what we did at primary and institute a “beats for goalhangers” rule.

lifeskyblue

No need to change...it’s by far the easiest for Lino’s at all levels (public parks to Wembley). It’s VAR DECIDING OT THATS THE PROBLEM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

giphy.gif

DionDublinsJockstrap

It’s very simple. It has to be a clear and obvious mistake. Way to do this is - one review in real time by the video ref. If he can’t immediately conclude then stay with on field decision.
I would go with this for offside and penalties. Over the line calls still subject to detailed review.
Everything else falls into you win some you lose some.

Otis

Remove the lines from the VAR analysis.
If it's not clearly offside then the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker.

Job done and no need to change any of the footballing laws.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
I like this idea a lot. Sounds the perfect solution.

robbiekeane

VAR should check and if not immediately obvious to the eye then play on/give the goal.
Exactly this.

VAR has a place - these stupid lines and dots don't. Quick check...if there's something obvious to the analysts visually then intervene. If not, then don't intervene, simple. Parts of the game and refereeing are not a science, they are judgement calls.

Is a ball over the line - science
Is someone offside - judgement call IMO. Someones left testicle being more advanced does not make them offside. Analyst checks, and uses technology to help his/her judgement (they can quickly pause, freeze a frame, have a quick look and make a call).

Maybe if they can't decide in 15 seconds then the on field decision stands or something?

Users who are viewing this thread