Officiating (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
It is really taking the piss now.

The Bournemouth game was a joke, Harry Maguire power slams a Chelsea player and now Sheff Utd get a penalty from a tackle outside the box where he does touch the ball.

I just wish we could blame our result on the officials today.

VAR has made things even worse, they are obsessed with showing an arse hair as offside but then pick and choose when it comes to actual decisions.

larry_david

I mean watch back the Gillingham penalty where their guy is doing a 6 ft high overheard kick and Rose has his hand near him and its given. Maguire stone cold stunners cesar and gets fuck all

Mucca Mad Boys

Only football could introduce technological advancements to the game and the officiating actually becomes worse.

Surely there should be scope for a challenge system - one per half/game?

Gosb

Only football could introduce technological advancements to the game and the officiating actually becomes worse.

Oh please don't complicate it any more. When the demise of the beautiful game is analysed they will trace it back to the introduction of VAR.

lifeskyblue

Oh please don't complicate it any more. When the demise of the beautiful game is analysed they will trace it back to the introduction of VAR.

Spot on. A system designed for tv pundits and armchair fans. The simple game of football ruined by technology. I used to be able to blame the refs eyesight or his lack of fitness...now I couldn’t care less when commentators say ‘it’s been referred to VAR’. Football is a fast game...not one you can slow down and view frame by frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

Not really. Cricket umpiring has declined umpires can’t even be bothered to look at no balls any more and often get decisions wrong

skyblueeyesrevisited

I prefer the cricket approach. The captain gets 2 reviews and that’s it. Its his choice to request the review not some unaccountable idiot sat in a room miles away. Using this method Chelsea would have been able to request the review. It’s then up to the Video ref to make the decision. In this instance I think it would take a brave man to say no penalty.

Gosb

I prefer the cricket approach. The captain gets 2 reviews and that’s it. Its his choice to request the review not some unaccountable idiot sat in a room miles away. Using this method Chelsea would have been able to request the review. It’s then up to the Video ref to make the decision. In this instance I think it would take a brave man to say no penalty.
Cricket has the natural breaks to permit such an approach, so this could apply for a penalty given or an 'offside' goal or a sending off when the game is stopped. But what about the penalty that wasn't given? Is the captain meant to consult with his teammates and then go chasing after the referee while the game is in motion?

Londonccfcfan

It is really taking the piss now.

The Bournemouth game was a joke, Harry Maguire power slams a Chelsea player and now Sheff Utd get a penalty from a tackle outside the box where he does touch the ball.

I just wish we could blame our result on the officials today.

VAR has made things even worse, they are obsessed with showing an arse hair as offside but then pick and choose when it comes to actual decisions.

Thought this thread was about how good chsmpionship refs are.

Quite literally on a different league compared to dross in leagues 1 and 2.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Cricket has the natural breaks to permit such an approach, so this could apply for a penalty given or an 'offside' goal or a sending off when the game is stopped. But what about the penalty that wasn't given? Is the captain meant to consult with his teammates and then go chasing after the referee while the game is in motion?
Next break in play. It's what happens now.

Plus the ball is in play for about 55 mins out of the 90.

stevefloyd

Spot on. A system designed for tv pundits and armchair fans. The simple game of football ruined by technology. I used to be able to blame the refs eyesight or his lack of fitness...now I couldn’t care less when commentators say ‘it’s been referred to VAR’. Football is a fast game...not one you can slow down and view frame by frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And then when reviewed for a couple of minutes they get it totally wrong...fucking joke

Gosb

Next break in play. It's what happens now.

Plus the ball is in play for about 55 mins out of the 90.
So at the next break in play, the forward who thinks he was fouled indicates to the referee that he wants to have a chat with the captain who then takes a second opinion from another forward who was close to the action before deciding whether to invoke a review. Do we really want this?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not really. Cricket umpiring has declined umpires can’t even be bothered to look at no balls any more and often get decisions wrong

They've been told not to to concentrate on the delivery. Like saying refs can't be bothered to look at throw ins/offsides because the assistant is there for that.

Brighton Sky Blue

So at the next break in play, the forward who thinks he was fouled indicates to the referee that he wants to have a chat with the captain who then takes a second opinion from another forward who was close to the action before deciding whether to invoke a review. Do we really want this?

Nope, you’d just need the player to make the VAR signal at the ref for review. Much prefer a system where it’s on the players to decide

Grendel

They've been told not to to concentrate on the delivery. Like saying refs can't be bothered to look at throw ins/offsides because the assistant is there for that.

No they haven’t - it’s only been introduced in some competitions now as they were getting a ridiculous amount totally wrong. one test in Australia over 20 were ignored in one single day. They know it’s checked for a wicket so have been ignoring it for years

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No they haven’t - it’s only been introduced in some competitions now as they were getting a ridiculous amount totally wrong. one test in Australia over 20 were ignored in one single day. They know it’s checked for a wicket so have been ignoring it for years

Yes they have. Video umpire is now responsible for informing the on field umpire of no balls. Obv only applicable at standards where video umpires are used.

I agree that they did start missing quite a few as they knew it'd be checked but some of them overturned on review are very tight decisions requiring slow-mos and freeze frames. If they're not sure they can't give it so better to let it go than the wicket be overruled only to discover it was wrong. I bet you'd miss a lot of them in real time too. I'm sure loads were missed in the days before TV and replays, only no-one realised.

Nick

Administrator

The Bristol City Penalty yesterday, attacker pushes over defender. Attacker then falls over the falling defender.

Penalty.

Grendel

Yes they have. Video umpire is now responsible for informing the on field umpire of no balls. Obv only applicable at standards where video umpires are used.

I agree that they did start missing quite a few as they knew it'd be checked but some of them overturned on review are very tight decisions requiring slow-mos and freeze frames. If they're not sure they can't give it so better to let it go than the wicket be overruled only to discover it was wrong. I bet you'd miss a lot of them in real time too. I'm sure loads were missed in the days before TV and replays, only no-one realised.

My point is it was introduced because umpires were missing a huge amount

Tv replays oddly have been around since the 70’s.

As several ex pros have said it’s another example of an umpire relying totally on technology so their actual discipline and diligence is reduced - it’s the same with run outs where technology is lazily used every single time

There is little point in in field umpires and their abilities are required less and less. Football is going the same way

Users who are viewing this thread