odd ways your car has been damaged (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

4. I leave home just before the wife to go to work. Bit of traffic, so slow to get off the estate. Waiting for a gap so I can pull out onto Leamington Road, and then got hit from behind... It was the wife..!!

After a lot of cursing (unusual for me in her presence, but justified I think) her excuse was "but I thought you'd gone" :emoji_angry:

So, front end of hers, rear of mine to fix... delightful
Did she argue your insurance claim?

Terry Gibson's perm

My aunt was parking her car in a car park Coventry one night there was one other car in the car park so she decided to park next to it yes you’ve guessed it she reversed into it

tommydazzle

As a teenager was driving my Rover 2000 at 60mph and suddenly the bonnet flips up and momentarily blanks the windscreen. I managed to stop safely and found that it had completely creased - I tried sitting on the windscreen and pushing with my feet to push it back but it was impossible, luckily had an adjustable spanner so removed the whole thing which I had to throw in the hedgerow as I couldn't fit it in my boot (I did retrieve it later).
Those were the days you could just go to a scrapyard and root around and find what you needed so I got a replacement which was white and fitted it to my blue car - this made me instantly recognisable to everyone!

olderskyblue

Not sure this counts really, as it was damage (rust) that presented itself in an odd way.

Anyway, I was travelling down the A45 one winters night in my wife's austin 1100. It was well rusted, and past it's sell by date really. Suddenly, the offside headlight pops up and backwards, blinding me in the process. With it flapping about, it was like looking straight into a strobe light from 4 feet away...!! Luckily I was in the nearside lane, and knew there was a turn into the slip-road down to the Peugeot garage ahead, so managed to get off the main road OK. Stopped and manoevred it back into it's rightful place, and gaffa taped it back on. Oddly, the gaffa tape help firmly on the rust for many months..!!

Eventually replaced the car, and while I was showing the *new model to my neighbour, there was a grumbling sound, and the whole rear end fell through on the subframe of the old girl. (I'd driven it back from work the same afternoon :eek:) It just gave in after seeing herself replaced by a younger model I suspect, so went to the scrappy the next morning

* it was 3 years newer (so still old) Morris 1100 I bought for £25. Did me for 2 years without a problem and sold it for £35. (having taken the radio out and sold it separately for £5...)

wingy

Not sure this counts really, as it was damage (rust) that presented itself in an odd way.

Anyway, I was travelling down the A45 one winters night in my wife's austin 1100. It was well rusted, and past it's sell by date really. Suddenly, the offside headlight pops up and backwards, blinding me in the process. With it flapping about, it was like looking straight into a strobe light from 4 feet away...!! Luckily I was in the nearside lane, and knew there was a turn into the slip-road down to the Peugeot garage ahead, so managed to get off the main road OK. Stopped and manoevred it back into it's rightful place, and gaffa taped it back on. Oddly, the gaffa tape help firmly on the rust for many months..!!

Eventually replaced the car, and while I was showing the *new model to my neighbour, there was a grumbling sound, and the whole rear end fell through on the subframe of the old girl. (I'd driven it back from work the same afternoon :eek:) It just gave in after seeing herself replaced by a younger model I suspect, so went to the scrappy the next morning

* it was 3 years newer (so still old) Morris 1100 I bought for £25. Did me for 2 years without a problem and sold it for £35. (having taken the radio out and sold it separately for £5...)
Shark!!
Or Entrepreneur? :p

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Not really damage to cars, more... ineptitude.

So my Dad's the one with the engineering background in the family, having worked at Armstrong Whitworth and Triumph in the past, even if he went on to other things. A blessing and a curse is he takes people at face value too much.

So, when a work colleague was emigrating to Spain, he knew just the person to buy their car. Was a bit dubious when I saw it but... he knew best, right?

About 90 miles later, I see a big cloud of moke coming from the exhaust. I stop, and find it isn't coming from the exhaust but rather the engine, and it's being blown over the windscreen to settle across the back and engulf whoever's following me.

Ah, great car that Fiesta. Holes in the footwell a vacuum foot pump for the windscreen washers that'd freeze in the winter and crack, then leaking its contents all over my footwell. Windscreen wipers you could only use on the flick wipe or they'd end up trying to wipe the side window, bald tyres, a distributor that when you went through a puddle would cause the engine to cut out... as indeed a drop of revs. Went to see a lass I liked, and had to go 40mph minimum round Worcester and any roundabout. She thought I was trying to impress her, I wasn't - I was just trying to get home.

Got fit too walking home from all kinds of places. Broke down all on my own at the A45 roundabout by the Peugeot garage in the middle lane. A car comes up behind me as I've opened the bonnet to stare blankly, driver's door is open. Thank God, someone has stopped to help!

Then he starts flashing his lights, hooting, and gesticulating at me to get out the way. I mean... I'd have loved to! Ah, the milk of human kindness.

Cost twenty quid to fail its MOT. Got £25 scrap for it. So my Fiesta was worth a fiver.

The yoof of today don't know they're born!

ovduk78

I have remembered countless other accidents & near misses from my 2 year stint in Belgium, with most of them in Brussels whilst on my motorbike. I had a couple of scary near misses when cars changed lanes into the lane I was in and then stopped meaning I had to swerve to miss them into the stationary lane they had just left!! 2 accidents of note though both at traffic lights from multi-laned 1 way streets.
The first I was going left so I filtered to the front as the lane was empty with 2 buses waiting astride both lanes to turn right. The traffic lights let the right turning lane go first so the bus veered over to my side to take the right turn and pinned me and my bike to the kerb crushing my right foot on the pegs. He stopped when he realised and checked all was ok which it appeared to be and as I pulled away my foot peg fell off!!
The second I was turning right so we were first to go and the left hand lane was stationary. As I passed a car to my left the passenger decided to open her car door which hit my foot peg and my bike disappeared from under me sending me flying and into another car. The passenger denied it was her fault and that I just rode into her door, she even told the police & insurance company that totally ignoring the fact that she open the door for me to ride into.
My girlfriend at the time also had her door mirror taken off by a learner driver overtaking a queue of parked cars on a narrow street. There were plenty of spaces to pull into between the parked cars but the driving instructor told me that they teach them to overtake them all in 1 go. I asked him what we were supposed to do driving the other way and he told me we should have gone on the footpath, so I asked him what were pedestrians supposed to do and he told me that they would get out of the way. That conversation explained to me why the Belgians drove like they did. Great country, fantastic food, brilliant people but put them in a car and they become aggressive lunatics!!

Malaka

Someone shot a pheasant that crashed into my parked car. £300 worth of damage

Covstu

Four that jump to mind:

1) Some dick crashed into both mine and the wives cars outside our house and drove off. no one got the reg!
2) Some dick hit the back of my car on the M1 in slow moving traffic, the guy couldn't get out of the car as the door was impacted and when he finally did he could hardly walk as he was plastered.
3) Leaving Leeds and my bike (on the car roof) hit a low bridge, carbon frame fucked and the bike rack dented the car roof! not impressed!
4) Going through the lights at the Red Lion and some dick turned right on the other side and took me out. Car written off...

Si80

A couple of mine...
1. Heading down St Martins Rd towards work one morning and ran over a sparrow that flew across my path. No big deal, except a few days later my car wouldn't start one morning. Got the old man to check the car over (mechanic) to find the alternator was full of spuggy feathers... Expensive bird.
2. Came home to find the front of my car peeled off. Some bellend had reversed off a drive opposite me and put there towbar through the side of my bumper. When they pulled forwards it just ripped everything forwards... They contested the insurance claim as well the c*nts.

Users who are viewing this thread