Now McSheffery (1 Viewer)

lifelongcityfan

I heard TF contacted sheff and asked him to report to his office the next Monday. Sheff knew what was coming, but told Fisher he is on leave and he will have to wait until he reports back for trg!!

Nice one Gary..must admit hasnt been on form the last season or two, but is sticking 2 fingers up at our crap management

Sky Blue Harry H

It's a tricky one for Pressley - if he wants shot of players and keeps them amongst the rest of the squad, they are likely to create a bad atmosphere. However, it leaves him up the creek without a paddle if a) he can't get rid of them and/or b) he can't get players in. In normal circumstances, I'd agree with his decision.....but we are not in normal times (yet)

Evo1883

has confirmed on Twitter has 24 months left on contract and is being made to train away from the first team as not in managers plans.

basically they are trying to make him leave his contract and get another club ,wether you rate him or not thats awful treatment of a proffesional sportsman

musicmanskyblue

All thats been achieved here is that a squad full of deadwood (based on opinion) now knows they are deadwood and have been publicly humiliated.. before being certain that we will be in a position to replace these players.. Let's hope we don't need these players to do a job before this seasons over... well done SP and Sisu... Another master-class in diplomacy.. :facepalm:

Nick

Administrator
basically they are trying to make him leave his contract and get another club ,wether you rate him or not thats awful treatment of a proffesional sportsman

They have just been transfer listed though, they are still being paid? Id go and train at a rugby club away from my mates for 4 or 5k a week?

The other players have to get used to life without them so why not have it like that from the start?

Did the bomb squad give a shit when they had a few weeks off and were probably Living the life of luxury!

They have been asked to find another job and will be paid until they do so I assume, it is not like they have been sacked on some dodgy technicality is it?

chiefdave

If I was Sheff I'd just collect the money every week,why shouldn't he? What is he now, 31? So he'll be 33 and looking at retirement by the time this contract finishes. Unlikely to move to a bigger side so when uproot the family and move to another part of the country to play for less money for a season or two.

Nick

Administrator
If I was Sheff I'd just collect the money every week,why shouldn't he? What is he now, 31? So he'll be 33 and looking at retirement by the time this contract finishes. Unlikely to move to a bigger side so when uproot the family and move to another part of the country to play for less money for a season or two.

He did that for the whole of last season!

I don't get our fans, if he isn't going to play why would we want any players to stay just for the wage?

His wage could probably pay 2 players that would potentially perform better?

duffer

If you need to send players to train somewhere else, then you're not much of a man manager in my book.

They're professionals - any number of times in a senior player's career he falls out of favour with a manager, most just roll their sleeves up and get on with it, and hope to force their way back in. None of these players have said they want to leave, and we may yet need some of them. It's poor this, imho.

Nick

Administrator
If you need to send players to train somewhere else, then you're not much of a man manager in my book.

They're professionals - any number of times in a senior player's career he falls out of favour with a manager, most just roll their sleeves up and get on with it, and hope to force their way back in. None of these players have said they want to leave, and we may yet need some of them. It's poor this, imho.

I think Presley must have a list and have things lined up, it's a massive gamble to take without it.

duffer

We have also signed a few 16 year olds, should we keep a high earner who was awful last season just for the sake of it?

He was about as poor as everyone else that I saw. But the fans have to have someone to blame.

Regardless, why treat someone so shabbily when it's entirely unnecessary and you might actually need them at some point in the future. You're paying their wages, so you might as well try to figure out a way to get the best out of them whilst they're here.

That's a manager's job, imho.

The last manager who tried this didn't have much success at the club, as I recall.

duffer

I think Presley must have a list and have things lined up, it's a massive gamble to take without it.

Agreed. An unnecessary one too, I'd argue. Just mho, as ever, and I quite liked Pressley up to this point. But this, I don't care for...

shropshirecov

We have also signed a few 16 year olds, should we keep a high earner who was awful last season just for the sake of it?

If he's here still here anyway and under contract then yes. Like someone else said he's a seasoned pro not an 18 yr old. He had a poor season last season, but the geezer deserves a bit more respect.
If you wanna fill the team of sub standard kids on a few hundred quid, good luck to you...

Nick

Administrator
He was about as poor as everyone else that I saw. But the fans have to have someone to blame.

Regardless, why treat someone so shabbily when it's entirely unnecessary and you might actually need them at some point in the future. You're paying their wages, so you might as well try to figure out a way to get the best out of them whilst they're here.

That's a manager's job, imho.

The last manager who tried this didn't have much success at the club, as I recall.

I agree, that's why I hope he knows something we don't and that he will be getting players or else he will have egg on his face when we have a bench of 12 year olds on the bench and a few experienced players nowhere to be seen.

If sisu are still paying them I am pretty sure they will want their moneys worth

Nick

Administrator
If he's here still here anyway and under contract then yes. Like someone else said he's a seasoned pro not an 18 yr old. He had a poor season last season, but the geezer deserves a bit more respect.
If you wanna fill the team of sub standard kids on a few hundred quid, good luck to you...

Do you think Paddy Madden who was top goal scorer was getting paid as much a mcsheffrey? My point is we could get better in this league for half the wages

Why is the treatment to him any different to bell or Malaga?

stupot07

Tell that to the fans that boo'd him

stupot07

I agree, that's why I hope he knows something we don't and that he will be getting players or else he will have egg on his face when we have a bench of 12 year olds on the bench and a few experienced players nowhere to be seen.

If sisu are still paying them I am pretty sure they will want their moneys worth

Bell has his own thread.... ;)

PVA

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again, SP has made the right decision. It appears a risk because of all the bullshit going on and not being able to sign players but believe me, he will have targets he wants so he needs to be able to get them. If they then prove to be good players and on cheaper deals, then theres no issues.

There are big issues if Bell and sheff can't/don't want to find new clubs. Then we are stuck with them and wont be able to afford any other players, no matter how cheap.

stupot07

There are big issues if Bell and sheff can't/don't want to find new clubs. Then we are stuck with them and wont be able to afford any other players, no matter how cheap.

It's out of order because '"Sisu's puppet" Pressley has done it, obviously under the directions of Joy.

shropshirecov

Do you think Paddy Madden who was top goal scorer was getting paid as much a mcsheffrey? My point is we could get better in this league for half the wages

Why is the treatment to him any different to bell or Malaga?

Malaga is a mercenary who blagged himself a contract off Thorne, and Bell has been seen less times than Haleys comet over the last few years. We owe them nothing.

Is it Mcsheffrey's salary you object to, or do you just not like the fella?

Dunno how much Paddy Madden was earning but lets hope billy Daniels turns into him next season.

Nick

Administrator
I am not too fussed either way, I think he was awful last season and if he isn't in the plans I don't see the issue with saying find yourself a new club.

chiefdave

He did that for the whole of last season!

I don't get our fans, if he isn't going to play why would we want any players to stay just for the wage?

His wage could probably pay 2 players that would potentially perform better?

I didn't say that's what I wanted him to do, I said that's what I'd do if I was him.

This is no way to run a club and it could backfire on so many levels. the problems you could have that I can come up with off the top of my head:

1) what if you can't sell them and you've got the majority of your wage budget having a kick around in the park rather than a proper pre season?

2) it may well hit morale of the remaining players. if I was one of those left, even if I wasn't particularly mates with one of the outcasts, I wouldn't be happy with the way they're being treated and would be wondering who else the same thing is going to happen to. Morale can't be great to start off with, you don't need to make it worse!

3) if you're an agent of any of those players are you going to recommend any of your other clients sign for us? I'm sure agents, and players for that matter, talk to each other, this is not going to help with player recruitment.

4) what if we end up staying in admin for a portion of the season and can't sign replacements? I've got no problem getting rid of anyone to get someone better in but that's not happening here.

5) if you're another teams scout / manager and you get offered one of these players would you be keen to sign a player from a L1 mid table side that's so bad they aren't even being considered for the first team squad?

it just doesn't make sense to me and I can't imagine this has come from SP. Can you really see a conversation where he gets told we can't sign anyone and don't know when the embargo will end and his response is lets cast aside half the squad?!? If nothing else the likes of Sheff are seasoned pros, Sheff has played in the Prem, he must be worth keeping around the training ground to help guide the youngsters in the squad.

looks to me that we're going down the same road as the championship relegation season and it'll be the same result this season.

SkyblueBazza

It makes me laugh....everyone's been slagging sheff and bell off, etc calling them deadwood for years now they have been told they're to in pressleys plans everyone's angry

Not "everyone" Stu. Plus, maybe SP is not pleased with the attitude/influence on the next generation. For a start a "sit it out" attitude suggests just wants money & not got the desire to play & succeed. If that's the case, yes...let him sit it out & have no influence. It'll cost us relatively dear whatever happens.

mattylad

None of these players Edge, Clarke, Bell, McSheffery, Jennings, Dunn and Mcdonald have "Chosen" to sit out or on their arses. They all trained/did gym sessions today but we're not allowed by SP to join in with the preseason tests carried out at Ryton like the other players. The only one you could label as sitting on his arse is Malaga who has known since MR started that he was not wanted.

Last edited:

Grendel

I am amazed. It seems all along at this club we have two Garry mcsheffrey's. there if a Garry mcsheffrey who played last year got booed a lot and was pilloried on here with a lot of allegations regarding fitness. Commitment and other recreational persuits. We were told that another example of SHITSU incompetence was the fact that he was offered another contract.

Oddly though in the wings was another mcsheffrey. An assett who SHITSU would be mad to try and offload. How stupid of them. This guys a winner we need him.

One suspects if the second Garry mcsheffrey made it onto the pitch next season these fans will confuse him with Garry mac 1.

wingy

I am amazed. It seems all along at this club we have two Garry mcsheffrey's. there if a Garry mcsheffrey who played last year got booed a lot and was pilloried on here with a lot of allegations regarding fitness. Commitment and other recreational persuits. We were told that another example of SHITSU incompetence was the fact that he was offered another contract.

Oddly though in the wings was another mcsheffrey. An assett who SHITSU would be mad to try and offload. How stupid of them. This guys a winner we need him.

One suspects if the second Garry mcsheffrey made it onto the pitch next season these fans will confuse him with Garry mac 1.

Of course you are correct Grenduffy ,however the Diachotomy is of SISU's own making . Lets add a little value to the books was Kenny boys mantra.

chiefdave

That's not what's being said tho is it. If they had announce they'd sold him or he'd agreed to terminate his contract then most people probably wouldn't be that fussed. Although I'm sure people would expres concern that he might not be replaced by a new signing and instead we'll have to make do with someone out of the academy.

That's nowhere near to what's happened. McSheff, along with several other players, all still under contract and as far as anyone knows with zero interest from other clubs have been told not to even bother turning up for training.

McSheff played 43 games last season, Edge played 39, McDonald played 24, Clarke played 28, Jennings played 49 and you can add in Richard Wood who's already left who played 46. Now unless all those players were being picked week in week out when there were better options being overlooked, given that we are in an embargo and can't sign anyone we're going to have a much weaker team than last year.

What's happening is exactly what happened in the championship relegation season. We're going to be left with a very small squad and a bunch of kids, even if we don't get any injuries it looks like a struggle. A few injuries and we could be in a real mess.

Would people really rather have eight players being excluded on full pay for potentially all of the season as opposed to have them train with the first team squad just in case they are needed in the event of injuries to others?

mattylad

That's not what's being said tho is it. If they had announce they'd sold him or he'd agreed to terminate his contract then most people probably wouldn't be that fussed. Although I'm sure people would expres concern that he might not be replaced by a new signing and instead we'll have to make do with someone out of the academy.

That's nowhere near to what's happened. McSheff, along with several other players, all still under contract and as far as anyone knows with zero interest from other clubs have been told not to even bother turning up for training.

McSheff played 43 games last season, Edge played 39, McDonald played 24, Clarke played 28, Jennings played 49 and you can add in Richard Wood who's already left who played 46. Now unless all those players were being picked week in week out when there were better options being overlooked, given that we are in an embargo and can't sign anyone we're going to have a much weaker team than last year.

What's happening is exactly what happened in the championship relegation season. We're going to be left with a very small squad and a bunch of kids, even if we don't get any injuries it looks like a struggle. A few injuries and we could be in a real mess.

Would people really rather have eight players being excluded on full pay for potentially all of the season as opposed to have them train with the first team squad just in case they are needed in the event of injuries to others?
Exactly right - If at least five of them are not still here I will be surprised although I think Edge, Jennings and Cody will draw interest.

Users who are viewing this thread