Now McSheffery (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Exactly right - If at least five of them are not still here I will be surprised although I think Edge, Jennings and Cody will draw interest.

The fact that the others in your view will not shows the decision is correct.

stupot07

That's not what's being said tho is it. If they had announce they'd sold him or he'd agreed to terminate his contract then most people probably wouldn't be that fussed. Although I'm sure people would expres concern that he might not be replaced by a new signing and instead we'll have to make do with someone out of the academy.

That's nowhere near to what's happened. McSheff, along with several other players, all still under contract and as far as anyone knows with zero interest from other clubs have been told not to even bother turning up for training.

McSheff played 43 games last season, Edge played 39, McDonald played 24, Clarke played 28, Jennings played 49 and you can add in Richard Wood who's already left who played 46. Now unless all those players were being picked week in week out when there were better options being overlooked, given that we are in an embargo and can't sign anyone we're going to have a much weaker team than last year.

What's happening is exactly what happened in the championship relegation season. We're going to be left with a very small squad and a bunch of kids, even if we don't get any injuries it looks like a struggle. A few injuries and we could be in a real mess.

Would people really rather have eight players being excluded on full pay for potentially all of the season as opposed to have them train with the first team squad just in case they are needed in the event of injuries to others?

What do you object to?

The fact they have been told their are not in his plans? Or the fact they are training separately? Do you not think the fact it's 8 players and some high earners/big personalities and not just a solitary player, might be more likely to spread discontent, negative feelings, etc to the younger players of they were training with them? They won't be going to holland on pre season tour....or do you think we should be paying for them to go there too?

I agree it's not ideal, but Ffs there are some babies on here.

georgehudson

haven't read all the thread, but it does seem to raise a question,
which would be;
in consideration of extended contracts of players, & now the sidelining of the same, all given by Dulieu, how therefore, does he pass the fit & proper test as a director ?

LJC_CCFC

Sheffers was absolutely wank last season and its only downhill from here...and from twitter you can tell he's an arrogant c**t

dongonzalos

All thats been achieved here is that a squad full of deadwood (based on opinion) now knows they are deadwood and have been publicly humiliated.. before being certain that we will be in a position to replace these players.. Let's hope we don't need these players to do a job before this seasons over... well done SP and Sisu... Another master-class in diplomacy.. :facepalm:

Without question...........

dongonzalos

What do you object to?

The fact they have been told their are not in his plans? Or the fact they are training separately? Do you not think the fact it's 8 players and some high earners/big personalities and not just a solitary player, might be more likely to spread discontent, negative feelings, etc to the younger players of they were training with them? They won't be going to holland on pre season tour....or do you think we should be paying for them to go there too?

I agree it's not ideal, but Ffs there are some babiesi on here.

That's the point Stu
I don't think those people who don't rate these players are outraged they are going.
It's the old school naivety that you send them down the park they will go.
Well if they can't get comparable wages actually they won't.
You need them featuring in friendlies and development squads. Showing they are fit willing and capable. Otherwise they are not going anywhere.
We are hurting ourselves not them.
Lets say Sheff thinks I am going nowhere.
We can't use his wages.
Is he better for us as a last ten minutes impact player in the squad where he may catch the eye of Boothroyd.
Or on the playing fields of Warwick Uni?

stupot07

That's the point Stu
I don't think those people who don't rate these players are outraged they are going.
It's the old school naivety that you send them down the park they will go.
Well if they can't get comparable wages actually they won't.
You need them featuring in friendlies and development squads. Showing they are fit willing and capable. Otherwise they are not going anywhere.
We are hurting ourselves not them.
Lets say Sheff thinks I am going nowhere.
We can't use his wages.
Is he better for us as a last ten minutes impact player in the squad where he may catch the eye of Boothroyd.
Or on the playing fields of Warwick Uni?

Warwick Uni have some quality sports facilities which were used in the Olympic as training facilities. We have probably had to pay to allow them to use the facilities, so is completely different to sending them down the memorial park.

People know about these players with the exception of Malaga, so shouldn't needs to see them play.....or are you suggesting we shouldn't sign anyone on a free unless we've scouted them first? They could come on for 10 mins in a friendly and get injured for the season (Bell ;)) and no one wants them..

Do you not think that such a large group or experienced players and personalities training with the young squad might have an impact/influence on morale? Or do you think Pressley should have been dishonest and not told them they weren't in his plans?

Grendel

Without question...........

Did you sat the same when Andy thorn exiled Eastwood from the squad? Eastwood always denied claims he was not fit enough to play by the way.

mattylad

well given the SP statement it seems that he also realises he has screwed up so don't a few on this thread now look stupid.....doh!

Grendel

well given the SP statement it seems that he also realises he has screwed up so don't a few on this thread now look stupid.....doh!

What those people who were posting about indignation that mcsheffrey was being badly treated when last season they were screaming at him for being a fat lazy git?

stupot07

Interesting that you neglected to say that they will train separately from the squad, so no they're not back in the fold..

They will train separately from the manager’s chosen squad as the club tries to offload the likes of Gary McSheffrey and Steve Jennings in a summer when the wage bill will drop from more than £4million a year to around £2m.

“The situation is they will return to the group on Monday and go through a similar sort of pre-season,” said Pressley of the players.

“I think they are all working towards finding other clubs and we’re trying to negotiate certain players out of the football club.

Last edited:

Grendel

I think actually its only made one look stupid.

Nick

Administrator
Did you sat the same when Andy thorn exiled Eastwood from the squad? Eastwood always denied claims he was not fit enough to play by the way.

Ah that was ok though?? He wasn't from Coventry etc etc. Didn't the same happen with deegan when he said him self on Twitter he was fit so want sure why in the press thorn said he was injured?

mark82

just like Portsmouth I dont see any of them walking away for anything less than 3/4 of what they have left plus a percentage of the bonuses they will miss out on.

This is nothing like the Portsmouth situation. They had no money. We have just been taken over. Why should they leave for free. If someone bought the company you worked for (let's say the owners wife) and told you to leave with no pay off despite you being under contract, would you?

mark82

What harm would it do to have them to continue to train with the squad? Who else is being forced to train alone?

Really not a fan of Pressley. Would much prefer someone who had a clue what he was watching.

stupot07

What harm would it do to have them to continue to train with the squad? Who else is being forced to train alone?

Really not a fan of Pressley. Would much prefer someone who had a clue what he was watching.

They aren't being forced train alone...there are 8 of them.

stupot07

This is nothing like the Portsmouth situation. They had no money. We have just been taken over. Why should they leave for free. If someone bought the company you worked for (let's say the owners wife) and told you to leave with no pay off despite you being under contract, would you?

They have been offered a pay off, they have rejected it.

jesus-wept

Atleast it will give Waggott a job getting rid of our surplus, should keep him in wages until january

StevieM

It's easy for us all to think that this is Pressleys way of working, but I suspect he has been told who are to be "off loaded" from the wage bill and proceed in this manner in the hope (very unlikely) it may speed their departure.
Don't forget Pressley was a player aswell and will know full well the ramifications with the rest of the players of this ostracising of the "Unwanted 8".
I don't know how popular these guys are (and doubt any one on here will truthfully know) with the other players but I know if it were me then I wouldn't want to see any of my "mates" being treated like shit by my bosses and it can only have a negative effect on team spirit or moral...unless the retained players think that they are shite, over paid, injury prone malingerers who fully deserve to be in the position they find themselves?
Still I suspect that the PFA will come calling anytime soon, specifically at the request of those still under contract?
Wouldn't it be ironic that SISU's cull, in an attempt to cut the wage bill by losing the overpaid deadwood were to be a spanner in the works for their proposed re-take over?

Well I hope it is ;)

SkyblueBazza

Not many are thinking this is a SISU cull as such. More a case of FFP says we can have a budget of X for this & that leaves Y for that. It might just be the case that SP simply thinks they are not quick enough, strong enough or fit enough for the more pacey football he has indicated he wants to play. It might be that these are, at least in SP opinion if nothing else, having a bad influence on the youngsters coming through - I really don't know...but I support the team which means I have to back the manager's decisions/risk-taking.
It is so easy to sit in the stands & moan & that is what a lot will do if this doesn't pan out as SP wants. Personally I wish him, & what is going to be a more youthful looking squad, all the best - I'm right behind them & thank goodness we're beginning to to about football matters!

Users who are viewing this thread