Now England are being franchised too! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutral Fan

The Daily Telegraph is reporting England may become nomadic again after 2018.

That's not necessarily a bad idea for the national team (and no doubt Wasps will be interested!).

HOWEVER...the reason is to free up the stadium so Jacksonville can play their entire home fixtures in London! That's franchising on a new level...a different continent.

Makes Sixfields look like being at the end of every Cov fans garden!

Sadly Franchise FC was just the dam opening...no fan of any sports club is safe nowadays...how long will FFP allow CCFC to remain tenants without a stadium?

D

Deleted member 4232

Meh who cares. I'm excited at the possibility of NFL having a franchise here; i'm a Vikings fan though, but would put more focus on those jags

Hobo

Manchester United and Liverpool playing in the American Soccer League, how long?

Monners

Franchise is the future - lets jump on that gravy train! Don't you just love these corporate high flying moneymen! Luckily we such strong governance in the UK with our sporting bodies!

Sarcasm overload - time for a break!

chiefdave

Haven't got a problem with this really. The NFL has long been a franchise sport and have been talking about moving a team to England for years. Not sure they will be able to sustain 80K crowds week in week out but we'll see.

England playing round the country is a positive for me. It worked well last time and its much better to give fans round the country a chance to take in games than play at a half empty Wembley. How many tickets have been sold for tonight? Looking like not a lot more than the 40K for Norway. A sold out St James or Villa Park would be a much better atmosphere.

Otis

[h=1]Premier League explore taking one regular-round match abroad[/h]
_60780024_danroan.jpg

By Dan Roan BBC sports editor

8th October 2014

The Premier League is once again considering the idea of playing competitive matches abroad.

The concept of a '39th game' was aborted back in 2008 amid controversy and fierce criticism.

But clubs are now understood to be considering playing an existing, rather than extra, round of matches overseas, thus keeping the season at 38 games.

Talks are at an early stage but such a proposal could come to fruition by the end of the decade.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I've got a problem with it. It was built with about £170 million of public money - £120 million from the Sport England National Fund and £50 million from the Government and London Development Agency. That under the promise it would be primarily a new home for the 'national game'; not that it would be franchised out to a private American sports team, playing a game that's, being honest, a minority interest sport over here

Nick

Administrator
I've got a problem with it. It was built with about £170 million of public money - £120 million from the Sport England National Fund and £50 million from the Government and London Development Agency. That under the promise it would be primarily a new home for the 'national game'; not that it would be franchised out to a private American sports team, playing a game that's, being honest, a minority interest sport over here

So Americans can't move to Wembley, Coventry can't move temporarily to Sixfields but Wasps can move to the Ricoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread