Notre Dame on fire (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Key Historical Facts and Dates
  • A Gallo-Roman temple dedicated to Jupiter and two early medieval churches once stood on Notre Dame's foundations.
  • Construction of the cathedral began in 1163. Hundreds of laborers and artisans toiled for nearly 200 years to complete the masterpiece of early gothic architecture.
  • Notre Dame was pillaged and seriously damaged during the French Revolution of the late 18th-century. 19th-century restorations led by Viollet-le-Duc replicated much of the damaged stain glass, statuary, and the cathedral's distinctive spire.
  • During the French Revolution, Notre Dame was temporarily converted to a "Temple of Reason".
Makes you wonder why God allowed it to happen. It's his house after all.
"God works in mysterious ways" is the usual answer.

Captain Dart

I'm sure some rich Catholic families can find the dosh to rebuild. Rees Mogg's lot for instance.

Don't get me wrong, it should be rebuilt.

Gazolba

So the Church does not have to have fire insurance like the rest of us have to have?

Gazolba

Anyway, glad to see they're opening it up as a competition to replace the spire, rather than just replicate. Buildings should evolve, progress - not just be fixed in one point in time.
If you read my earlier thread, the spire was not original anyway, it had been replaced at least once before.

Users who are viewing this thread