not too downhearted (1 Viewer)

as the title shows how i feel, our performance was quite good, we didnt roll over all it did was show us exactly what we need, in the unlikely case of the board freeing up some money we are 2-3 players away from being a very good side

Desperatly need a partner for Jukebox, the kid fought for everything against them, he was a pain in the arse for Bamba and co and secondly need someone who offers support for them who can be the driving force for the team, a bit of pace and strength and we wont go far wrong.

Delighted with young Biggy and Cyrus done themselves proud, i think i would like to see Cyrus play in maybe a more advanced role, when he bombs forward he looks dangerous.

Macca

I thought we were poor but not downhearted either. Just one game. If we are still playing like this after 6 games I might change my mind

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Have to agree I am not too downhearted by the performance and on the day I reckon a draw would have been a fairer result. I think we missed two things on the day. Firstly a dominant centre half, - Turner of last season would have added steel and confidence to the whole team. I dont think that a good strong centre back would have allowed the attacker to get across and in front of them the way Keogh did.

Secondly a goal threat to operate off Juke- one with speed that turned defenders. Thought Juke had a good game up against the Fester defence on his own, think he was let down by a poor performance from McSheffery in particular. Sammy worked hard and had a decent game

Think that AT took off the wrong player when Cyrus went- for me hussey had a far less effective game but there wasnt an obvious left back to replace him but there was at rightback. Bell did nothing wrong but didnt do much either. Murphy looked sound and his distribution was better than Westwoods

The performance of Gael and Cyrus gave cause for optimism but will they be able to play like that for prolonged numbers of matches ?

Think the passing needs to be more progressive - Hussey in particluar passed back asap rather than using the space infront of him before looking to pass.

But coming away from the match my friends and I were certainly not downhearted, hope we get a win soon so that any confidence builds

PUSB

Otis

I'm the opposite. This morning I was quite hopeful for the season and not at all downhearted. Post game I am pretty depressed and am so for 3 reasons.

1. Can't see where the goals are going to come from. Jukebox is excellent at holding the ball up, is strong and a good target man. A goalscorer though he is not. Sure he will get goals, but he's not a poacher and I just don't think he will ever be a 20 goal a season player. He is more of a provider.

2. The kids. Both brilliant today and I was chuffed to bits with them, but therein, flipping the coin over lies the problem. Manager after manager has warned about over deploying the kids and using them sparingly and giving them breathers. Well from what I saw today we really need them game in game out and besides, if we rest them who the hell are we going to bring in, especially in the midfield. Bell, Clingan and McSheffrey have all got poor injury records of late. Bigi looked like exactly the player we need. Trouble is, he's 17. No way on god's earth can he last the whole season for fear of burning the poor kid out. Here we are first day of the season having to play kids. If we are bringing the kids in now what else do we have left in our armoury?

3. First day of the season and we already look like we are down to the bare bones. Baker now out for 3 games. Couple of injuries on top of this and we could really be in trouble with the season only just started.

Thought we passed the ball about well but in truth didn't look like scoring in a month of Sundays. Pretty much every shot on target was from distance.

Certainly more depressed than i was before the game. The reality of what a long season we have ahead of us really kicked in today.

Last edited:

shmmeee

I'm the opposite. This morning I was quite hopeful for the season and not at all downhearted. Post game I am pretty depressed and am so for 3 reasons.

1. Can't see where the goals are going to come from. Jukebox is excellent at holding the ball up, is strong and a good target man. A goalscorer though he is not. Sure he will get goals, but he's not a poacher and I just don't think he will ever be a 20 goal a season player. He is more of a provider.

2. The kids. Both brilliant today and I was chuffed to bits with them, but therein, flipping the coin over lies the problem. Manager after manager has warned about over deploying the kids and using them sparingly and giving them breathers. Well from what I saw today we really need them game in game out and besides, if we rest them who the hell are we going to bring in, especially in the midfield. Bell, Clingan and McSheffrey have all got poor injury records of late. Bigi looked like exactly the player we need. Trouble is, he's 17. No way on god's earth can he last the whole season for fear of burning the poor kid out. Here we are first day of the season having to play kids. If we are bringing the kids in now what else do we have left in our armoury?

3. First day of the season and we already look like we are down to the bare bones. Baker now out for 3 games. Couple of injuries on top of this and we could really be in trouble with the season only just started.

Thought we passed the ball about well but in truth didn't look like scoring in a month of Sundays. Pretty much every shot on target was from distance.

Certainly more depressed than i was before the game. The reality of what a long season we have ahead of us really kicked in today.

Totally agree about points 1 & 3, but I don't think Gael and Cyrus will be expected to play 40 games this year. If Thorn has any sense then Thomas and Clarke/Keogh will step in to give them a rest. Don't forget that eventually Deegan will be fit as well.

We didn't have to play the kids today, there were senior players on the bench because of them. We could easily have played Wood and O'Donovan from the start. I think it's a bit disrespectful to say we had to resort to kids on the first day. Even if we still had Gunnar I'd have picked Gael, he's simply the best player we have for that position right now, and I'd say that when Deegan's fit too.

Otis

Totally agree about points 1 & 3, but I don't think Gael and Cyrus will be expected to play 40 games this year. If Thorn has any sense then Thomas and Clarke/Keogh will step in to give them a rest. Don't forget that eventually Deegan will be fit as well.

We didn't have to play the kids today, there were senior players on the bench because of them. We could easily have played Wood and O'Donovan from the start. I think it's a bit disrespectful to say we had to resort to kids on the first day. Even if we still had Gunnar I'd have picked Gael, he's simply the best player we have for that position right now, and I'd say that when Deegan's fit too.

You sure about that. He's hardly played a game for us. We had to play Biggie surely? It was either him or Thomas. What other options were there? And besides, AT has quite firmly come out and said that he sees Keogh as a centre half and not a fullback. Yes, he could play him at fullback but chooses not too.

we need a player that drives forward, neither Bell or Mcsheffrey are that player, midfield are solid but lack imagination and the ability to attack.

Otis

Young Biggi offers that to some degree. I think he could player further forwards. First 15 mins he just sat in front of the back 4.

Yorkshire SB

Being realistic, with the budget we have (or don't have) all we need is a striker and we'll be a fair side, one that knows where the back of the net is anyway. As for the younger players, Bigiramana will play for us every week whether it's ideal or not, he looks class and is a great player so why not play him. Thomas will get in this season and I hope will be a little more of an attacking threat. The game wasn't awful, if we get a striker I think we'll do okay, if not I worry.

Otis

Agree. We need a goalscorer. Le Fondre seems like the sort of player we need. I have pretty much given up hope on him though. Think we will be outbid.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Have to say since the last 10 games last season we have travelled backwards imo not just in the squad. Mcsheffery looked like a shadow of the player we saw at the end of last season. Bell is inconsistent and Baker is not good enough. I would say we need a CM to replace Gunnarsson still a CAM to play at the tip of the diamond as Mcsheffery today and in preseason hasn't been good enough and a striker to partner Juke.

Users who are viewing this thread