Not Interested in Spurs game (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

No, you're an idiot (I'm joking anyway) for not understanding why people see it as more of a priority. It isn't really about which is the most prestigious (that's a no-brainer), it's more about what is the most important for CCFC at this point. Yes, win at Spurs and we all dance our way out of WHL, but our exit from that competition wouldn't be far away.

Get to Wembley though, even in the JPT, and that would give everyone a lift. Financially it would be very welcome, but think of what it would do for our spirits. Think of those young kids of 8, 9, 10 whose experience of their local football club so far has been stuggle, mediocrity and relegation. Imagine what it would do for them to see their club play on that stage. I honestly don't see how anyone could prioritise an FA 3rd round tie over a Wembley final.

think of 30 year olds like me who only have faint memories of cup win at best and after prem days have lived through crap for over a decade

JPT win will be huge to all fans i hope

ccfctommy

Id rather win saturday and get dumped out of that tin pot thing next week. How anyone can choose the paint pot trophy over the fa cup is beyond me.

I agree, not too fussed about the JPT to be honest. Will watch the game on TV on Thursday.

Otis

Game after that is on the Sunday. So no different than the game on Saturday at spurs to Tuesday.

Sunday?

Am i losing my marbles?

Didn't know about Thursday, didn't know about Sunday.:eek:

Last edited:

smileycov

Facebook User
Ha-hA Otis....JPT was moved to Thursday for TV, so the Carlisle game was pushed back to the Sunday!

Otis

Id rather win saturday and get dumped out of that tin pot thing next week. How anyone can choose the paint pot trophy over the fa cup is beyond me.

You're crazy in the coconut me old mucker!

A trophy we clearly cannot win, or a trophy that will bring success, that we can quite clearly win, that will bring a feel good factor to the whole city, will give the club a boost and bring much needed coffers into the club? Plus a day at Wembley!

Yeah, it's beyond me too. :whistle:

theferret

Last season we had less than 15k about 14 times and when you look at the higher attendances normally they were higher because of the away support. Our home support was 13.5k last game and thats about as good its going to get in this league and about as good as it got last season apart from about 3 games. Even when we played West Ham and got 20.5k, 6.5k was away support (home support 14k).We will only get bigger crowds if the away support is bigger and in this league thats not going to happen too often.

You miss the point, last season was a terrible season and yet as we got to the business end of it crowds went up, and we had more than 15k for 3 of the last 4 home games including nearly 18,000 against Peterborough. I am simply saying that if we are in the mix until the end, we will be easily exceeding 15k for the last few home games, EASILY. We were averaging over 21000 just a few years ago, so the idea that if we are sniffing around the promotion places the crowds will not come back is silly, especially when you consider just how success starved we are.

Also, don't make stuff up, there were more than than 13.5K City fans at the Ricoh more than 3 times last season, including Bristol City, Forest, Leicester, West Ham, Blues, Peterborough, Doncaster and possibly a few others.

Ashdown1

I think the Spurs game is nothing more than a day out in the capital for the fans and a boost to the coffers for the club. The JPT to me is more important as we really could get to Wembley with this and make even more non budgeted cash.

clemy07

This is a major distraction alongside the JPt. A Wembley appearance is a possibility in one but in my view the bandwagon fans need to spend their money on home tickets and support the team at the Ricoh. How much to follow CIty in the JPT final? £100 plus by the time transport is paid.

Better to get down the Ricoh.

The fa cup game may have been a distraction for our last match but how will it distract us for future games. An upset is always possible and financially beneficial to stay in the cup. Just look at Bradford City. Doing well in the league and in a semi final...no distractions there.

PVA

I don't get all this hatred of the Spurs game. It's a great day out and a chance of a cup upset. The Arsenal distraction didn't do us any harm and we won't be playing Spurs again in the next few years. Get of the high horses and enjoy an exciting cup match!

Agree.

I don't get this either, it's very strange. Seems to me as though people are looking to take a 'holier than thou' approach and try and think of themselves as a better fan because they're more interested in the JPT. What a load of rubbish. It's a good day out and I'm looking forward to it. We got absolutely spanked at Arsenal but I still enjoyed it.

People are saying it's a distraction too. Again, load of rubbish. We got hammered at Arsenal and we didn't do too badly in the league after that did we?

I'm looking forward to the Spurs game. I'm looking forward to the Preston game as well. Is this not allowed?

PUSB

Black6Osprey

You miss the point, last season was a terrible season and yet as we got to the business end of it crowds went up, and we had more than 15k for 3 of the last 4 home games including nearly 18,000 against Peterborough. I am simply saying that if we are in the mix until the end, we will be easily exceeding 15k for the last few home games, EASILY. We were averaging over 21000 just a few years ago, so the idea that if we are sniffing around the promotion places the crowds will not come back is silly, especially when you consider just how success starved we are.

Also, don't make stuff up, there were more than than 13.5K City fans at the Ricoh more than 3 times last season, including Bristol City, Forest, Leicester, West Ham, Blues, Peterborough, Doncaster and possibly a few others.

I wouldnt exactly say I was making it up as we didnt get 15k about 14 times last season meaning we did get more in the rest. Of the seven games you mention (and the only other game where we broke 13.5k was Portsmouth) three of them dont break 13,800 home support so its pretty close really. I could say we didnt get 15k home support for the last 3 or 4 home games like you claim (Doncaster 13,800, Millwall 13,200, Peterboro 16,900 and Portsmouth 14,200) but I wouldnt want to accuse you of making things up.

Black6Osprey

If I could pick one I'd go for a win over Spurs all day long. JPT was shit last season and the season before that and just cos we're in it doesn't change that, it's still shit. If we win the thing I wont complain but I wont be having a party either.

ccfcway

If I could pick one I'd go for a win over Spurs all day long. JPT was shit last season and the season before that and just cos we're in it doesn't change that, it's still shit. If we win the thing I wont complain but I wont be having a party either.

League One is sh1te, but we are in that as well !

theferret

I wouldnt exactly say I was making it up as we didnt get 15k about 14 times last season meaning we did get more in the rest. Of the seven games you mention (and the only other game where we broke 13.5k was Portsmouth) three of them dont break 13,800 home support so its pretty close really. I could say we didnt get 15k home support for the last 3 or 4 home games like you claim (Doncaster 13,800, Millwall 13,200, Peterboro 16,900 and Portsmouth 14,200) but I wouldnt want to accuse you of making things up.

Never said we broke 15k home support for all those games, I said for 3 of the 4 the 'gate' was over 15k. The attendance stats are a matter of record. Our average last season was 15,119, the away average was 1895, so the home fans average 13,224 (just a couple of hundred short of the figure you say we only surpassed 3 times out of 23 games), these being our worst figures for years. Fact remains, the suggestion that we will not get a higher gate than we did against Shrews for the rest of the season even if we push for promotion to the end is frankly nonsense, and that was the point I was answering.

Just for the record:

2011/12
Average 15119, Away Fans Average 1895, Home Average 13224
2010/11
Average 16310, Away Fans Average 1590, Home Average 14720
2009/10
Average 17305, Away Fans Average 1597, Home Average 15708
2008/09
Average 19123, Away Fans Average 1596, Home Average 17527
2007/08
Average 20342, Away Fans Average 1859, Home Average 18483

Ashdown1

I think we'd all take a win over Spurs but as the 16/1 odds against suggest, its likely that we'll exit { Preferably after a good performance} with some credit and move onto a competition that would see 50,000 Coventrians jump on the Wembley bandwagon and make a good wedge for a cash strapped club. A draw at Spurs would be a revelation in terms of a lucrative replay.

skybluelee

Saturday feels a bit like a pre season friendly to me at the moment.

I simply cant wait until our 1st "semi final" in a very long time next week.

I want to go to a full Wembley and watch CCFC !!

It's a bloody quarter-final, irrespective of how the Competition sponsors want to dress it up. if it was a semi-final a win would put us in the overall final.

skybluelee

Agree.

I don't get this either, it's very strange. Seems to me as though people are looking to take a 'holier than thou' approach and try and think of themselves as a better fan because they're more interested in the JPT. What a load of rubbish. It's a good day out and I'm looking forward to it. We got absolutely spanked at Arsenal but I still enjoyed it.

People are saying it's a distraction too. Again, load of rubbish. We got hammered at Arsenal and we didn't do too badly in the league after that did we?

I'm looking forward to the Spurs game. I'm looking forward to the Preston game as well. Is this not allowed?

PUSB

The problem with this game (as opposed to Arsenal) is it comes in the middle of a really hectic period of matches. Preston and Carlisle are such huge games for us and it will be gutting if, say, Moussa, Baker or Clarke got injured v Spurs and missed the next 2 matches, or if we go into them jaded due to their recent workload.

Play the kids against Spurs!

ccfcway

I think we'd all take a win over Spurs but as the 16/1 odds against suggest, its likely that we'll exit { Preferably after a good performance} with some credit and move onto a competition that would see 50,000 Coventrians jump on the Wembley bandwagon and make a good wedge for a cash strapped club. A draw at Spurs would be a revelation in terms of a lucrative replay.

You could have got 18/1 on QPR beating Chelsea

Otis

If we get to Wembley and win the cup in front of 70,000 fans and have our first bit of success for 26 years you won't complain?

Very decent of you that.

WillieStanley

This is all mental!!

I'm not going to WHL but I went to Arsenal and let me tell you, I've never been prouder of the Sky Blue Army than I was that day and night. We went and claimed London. We were all over the place. Appraoching pubs to the combined chorus of the Sky Blue Song, well it reminded me of how I ended up so passionate about my club in the first place. The roar was something I've not heard since the Premiership days. I also felt that as a following, we'd earnt that day out, after the seasons prior and the way the season was going at that point. The best 6-1 defeat I've ever seen (followed by the worst 5-1 victory I'd ever seen a week later thanks to England). I didn't care that there was an element of that crowd that wouldn't be there the following Saturday because at that moment, we were one, and if it sturred up a fraction of the emotion in anyone else as it did me, then that spark may have been reignited, and that is fantastic. Singing right through til long after the final whistle and then on the long journey to the coaches is something that will stick with me.

To those who are going on Saturday, have a fantastic day. Drink up all of the atmosphere. Have a party, regardless of the score. Wave your flags and sing until your lungs bleed and don't listen to anyone trying to put a dampener on this fantastic day out with your Sky Blues... they don't happen very often.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Well, I am working anyway so I can't go. I still got a couple of tickets and gave them to my mate so he's going instead. I'm interested, but more excited about the JPT as Otis mentioned on another thread somewhere or other.

Gaz

I'm interested in the Spurs game, it's the FA cup !
Great competition.

Also very much looking forward to the JPT.

WillieStanley

I'm interested in the Spurs game, it's the FA cup !
Great competition.

Also very much looking forward to the JPT.

Yup... It is possible to take an interest in all three. It would hurt more to get knocked out of the JPT or slip down the league, but it's a great occassion - not to mention the income a draw would generate!!

Users who are viewing this thread