Not Doing The Basics! (1 Viewer)

RichieGunns

This is a comment I heard from the lads sitting around me near the end of the match. I happen to agree with them.

I think Cov were trying to be far too technical, flicking the ball on or dribbling it past players.

A good example would be Moussa in the last five minutes when he tried to take the ball around 4 players and lost it when he could have past it to Bailey (who was just on his outside) to cross it into the box. That was one time simple footballing would have been better than technical wizardy!

Another example (and one that i was happy to see) was baker skinning those two Crewe players in the right corner in the second half. That was lovely and we almost got something from it too. Shame no one could take advantage of the opportunity made by the Captain.

But overall I think we really need to cut back on the technical side and try focusing on simple football. When we've done this in the past, we've done really well. It's only when we try too hard that things start to fall apart!

And while I think about this, Jennings stood out for me. He was terrific at storming in when Crewe came forward to break up the attack. He's a meaty fellow and he must look like a tank to oppersition players. But where he fails is that sometimes he doesn't follow through after a tackle. Two of Crewe's goals started because Jennings went flying in, missed the tackle, then didn't go after them. He just watched the player go at the defence.

coundonskyblue

Careful or you will be accused of being a fickle plastic fan!

Thought the same thing to myself last night, they just needed to keep it simple.

covboy9

they just panicked at two nil down, understandably they put too much pressure on themselves and tried too hard, one of those things

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Too many chances wasted. Too greedy taking shots themselves rather than taking the easier option of crossing. Making hasty decisions and ending up taking the wrong option.

School boy stuff.

Highlighted by Sheff in the second half. Linked up well with Adams (I think it was) closing down their man in the corner (CET / Lloyds pharmacy stand), winning possession close to the bi line (that was the hard bit) only to try and shoot from a 'never going in from there' angle and the ball going out for a throw the opposite side of the pitch.

Also Moussa done something more central of the pitch. Won possession, tried a step over or two, then passed it.......straight to them.

covcity4life

Agreed. I commented last night how little we use the basic or obvious pass.

Can't win games with nothing but flashy touches and dribbles

Sky Blue Sheepy

It's a fair point. Think Baker and Adams know when to do it and when not to. Even Sheffers does it at times when he's on the wing, but he's guilty of sometimes being too eager to take on the spectacular shots when he's more central.

Agree with covboy9 too - a lot of it might have been down feeling under pressure to push for a goal back, so trying more risky tricks rather than slowing the game down and looking for the pass.

Last edited:

Ashdown1

That was about the worst I've seen Adams play !!! He is quality but last night him and Moussa were not at the races.

Nick

Administrator
We wanted to run it into the net. On the 18 yard line players were looking left and right for a pass and not at goal.

stupot07

Too many chances wasted. Too greedy taking shots themselves rather than taking the easier option of crossing. Making hasty decisions and ending up taking the wrong option.

School boy stuff.

Highlighted by Sheff in the second half. Linked up well with Adams (I think it was) closing down their man in the corner (CET / Lloyds pharmacy stand), winning possession close to the bi line (that was the hard bit) only to try and shoot from a 'never going in from there' angle and the ball going out for a throw the opposite side of the pitch.

Also Moussa done something more central of the pitch. Won possession, tried a step over or two, then passed it.......straight to them.

Baker was just as bad, 2 mins after that stupid sheffers shot the ball dropped to baker just inside the area to the left hand side, 3 defenders in front of him, Moussa screaming for the ball to the side of him - baker was only going to shoot ignore all other better options and smacked it straight at the defender, easy to do he had 3 stood in front of him to choose from

junglej13

That was about the worst I've seen Adams play !!! He is quality but last night him and Moussa were not at the races.

Agree completely. I rate both players but moussa was a passenger last night and its the worst adams has played. His crossing was terrible. Edj also got exposed a little bit last night I feel.

shy_tall_knight

I created a separate post on Jennings last night if you are a central defensive midfielder you need to keep your position as the full backs go forward. Their second he made a stupid attempt to get the ball in their half he was bypassed easily and they had a free run to our box with little attempt made by him to get back. Undisciplined and naive. why was he in such a rush to get forward as his passing and shooting is also poor that he would have no valuable impact in their half. I know that role can involve doing a lot of unnoticed things but just don't rate him.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Baker was just as bad, 2 mins after that stupid sheffers shot the ball dropped to baker just inside the area to the left hand side, 3 defenders in front of him, Moussa screaming for the ball to the side of him - baker was only going to shoot ignore all other better options and smacked it straight at the defender, easy to do he had 3 stood in front of him to choose from

I agree! He was just as guilty

WillieStanley

We were guilty of what Arsenal were guilty of during their first half against us. Trying to score the perfect goal when any would have done. I don't know whether this is the out come of Robins "Let's be more clinical" training but FFS just shoot when you're in a good position!!

Users who are viewing this thread