Match Thread Norwich v Coventry Match Thread - Tuesday 23rd Aug (3 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

There's "Being patient" and there's being realistic mate. Maddison had his very first start last night... and to me he wasn't anywhere near our best player last season. He was, to put it bluntly, s**t. Hats off to SISU though, a brilliant piece of business selling him to Norwich.

How many matches did you attend last season to reach those conclusions?

Rodders1

We've been beaten by a side that just came down from the PL and we have half a team due to injuries and recruitment issues. If we'd lost 6-1 to Bury or someone I'd be worried. Right now I'm merely miffed.
We played our best 11 versus a reserve side. I expected a loss but not like that. Northampton beat a prem side last night. That's a proper "team" for you. And so what many Cov fans on here want is a team that doesn't just roll over. It's a terrible result.

This isn't having a go at mogga or the players. Many posters on hear are simply fed up with the level this club has got to and I don't blame them.

We have a proud history and are one of the biggest city's in England based on population - a one club city. It's not good enough.

I actually admire / am envious of the posters who are upbeat about anything anymore.

Fingers crossed the boys put up a performance on Saturday and cheer us all up and show that they have some fight in them.....

Ashdown

So it seems that the experts who claimed Murphy was lazy and not good enough for ccfc were wrong, again!
Crikey, I completely agree with your post !.........................I wonder where those said experts are now who actually had the temerity to boo the lad when he had an off game !?

Sky Blue Kid

How many matches did you attend last season to reach those conclusions?
Have you taken you Imodium yet? I think some of your verbal diaoreha got in your eyes. I read enough, and listened enough to radio commentaries to form a fair judgement on our games. There again my opinion isn't as good as people that listen to games and read about the games in other countries is it?

Warwickhunt

Sky Blues manager admitted that the "failings at Carrow Road were down to an attempt to play positive football" - Oh Boy thats us fucked for saturday then he's going to shut up shop;)

Joy Division

People are comparing the fact that Norwich are a division above us and have more quality players so the result isn't anything to worry about. Flip that round and in the last round we just about managed to beat the reserve side of a team in the division below us in the last round.

I for one am very worried.

Wheelfass

I for one am very worried.
And so am I.
If we win comfortably on Saturday then last nights surrender will start to fade and the dark clouds will clear for a while and we will all be saying that we're out of the blocks and looking upward again. On the other hand.....

Gint11

I've had enough. 6-1 is embarrassing. Norwich? Come on, Norwich?!! We are not doing the basics right, TM has changed the formation to 3 at the back which does not suit us. Awful start to the campaign. Hate the owners and wish they would fuck off and I'm fed up with Mowbray as well. You can't keep saying at the end of each game "oh well, its a lesson for us, we move on" - That is'nt good enough. He has still brought players in, we are going backwards!

eastwoodsdustman

Went last night and like some have said, It was men against boys on certain parts of the pitch. Up front basically. Ball just kept coming back. Their defenders were stronger faster and more savvy than our front players.
I know it was 6-1 but strange as it seems I didnt think we were too bad for large parts of the game and we were in the ascendency before and when we scored. The third goal was the killer as it took the wind out of our sails and after that fell apart to a degree.
I'm not sure that 3 at the back was the right choice last night as it game their wide players too much space with our wing backs too high up the pitch when we lost possesion.
Thought the midfield got to grips with theirs after the first 10 mintes or so and was a real positive. The defence did pretty well up until the 3rd went in barring the odd mistake which proved costly. Even Agyei turned his man a few times but got blocked off. He will have more success against teams in our league.
My worry is the front players. None looked up to the job last night and the prophecies from the Bradford fans look like they are coming true ref Reid. We need a decent forward with a bit of experience to come in and might need to change the formation against some teams.

Gint11

To play 3 at the back you need 2 things, excellent central defenders and excellent wing backs. Ricketts is past it, Willis is stable but average, don't know enough about Turnbull yet. Haynes and Kelly Evans are not to the standard. We need re-inforcements, thats obvious but I want to see our manager with a proper game plan and proper tactics. Not seeing that.

lewys33

To play 3 at the back you need 2 things, excellent central defenders and excellent wing backs. Ricketts is past it, Willis is stable but average, don't know enough about Turnbull yet. Haynes and Kelly Evans are not to the standard. We need re-inforcements, thats obvious but I want to see our manager with a proper game plan and proper tactics. Not seeing that.

You think he would realise just from having extensive knowledge of both Maddison and Murphy how dangerous they could be.

Nick

Administrator
You think he would realise just from having extensive knowledge of both Maddison and Murphy how dangerous they could be.

and they both need the studs down the back of their legs early to put them out the game.

We have seen them drift out of a game when it is a physical.

Hobo

So it seems that the experts who claimed Murphy was lazy and not good enough for ccfc were wrong, again!

Did we double up on him last night, or did we just let him get one on one with space behind? He also might of developed whilst at Coventry which was the point.

It remains a fact some of his performance were piss poor last season. There was also a handful were he looked excellent.

Nick

Administrator
Did we double up on him last night, or did we just let him get one on one with space behind? He also might of developed whilst at Coventry which was the point.

It remains a fact some of his performance were piss poor last season. There was also a handful were he looked excellent.

I think the fact we play wing backs and 3 at the back means every time our wing back is forward he would have plenty of space.

gspotgaz

My god just seen the goals. Look like a pub team attempting to play against professionals ... The amount of space and time Norwich had with every attack was embarrassing. Really don't know where we go from here tbh :(

Otis

My god just seen the goals. Look like a pub team attempting to play against professionals ... The amount of space and time Norwich had with every attack was embarrassing. Really don't know where we go from here tbh :(
Try the Ricoh on Saturday.

Reactions: vow

oucho

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it now....we'll be playing a back 4 formation within a month. Then, TM will be looking silly for not recruiting for sufficient cover at RB.

SkyBlue_Bear83

7 of Norwichs starting 11 played either in the championship, league one or league two last season. The majority of those 7 in league one. (Jones - L2 ,Toffolo -L1, Murphy - L1, maddison -L1, canos - champ, andreu -champ, Thompson - L1)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4 of those players also cost the club approx. 5-7 million in transfer fees alone. A different planet to us

SkyblueBri

T,hat may have been their reserve team, but do you remember when we played Man U reserves at Old Trafford and won.
That was a team, this that weve got now, is a load of youngsters trying their best, I fear for us this season.

coop

Just watched the highlights we are fucking useless Norwich had so much space no pressure on any of the goals RCC comes for crosses when he doesn't need to and flaps.A high ball in the six yard box and he stays rooted to his line.Fuck me am I looking forward to Saturday.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
When are we going to get a manager that actually gets results? Every manager since we were demoted from the Premier League has come in with promises of "turning the club round", "getting the right results", "Coventry is a club with history, things need to change" etc, etc. blah, blah, bleedin' blah! Okay, maybe not exact words but that sort of thing. I have to admit, I was one of those who were actually feeling really good about Tony Mowbray coming to us after the likes of Pressley, Robins, Thorn etc. At least he was a name with some credibility. But not one of them could get us back to the dizzy heights of where we once were for 34 years. I have absolutely no idea who we could get in whether players or manager but I'm slowly losing the will to live waiting for things to happen. There's no answer and hasn't been this century. 16 years in the doldrums. After 34 years of watching teams like Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Everton etc, we now watch the likes of Chesterfield, Northampton, Rochdale and Fleetwood. No disrespect to those teams, but c'mon, our history is better than that.
I moved to the Isle of Wight 6 years ago and don't get to games any more. I used to only miss only one or two games a season due to work and was also a steward for 3 years. But now, I barely even bother to look who we're playing next. That's how bad it's become. I feel so sorry for the younger supporters - those that don't recall the good days against the top teams, crowds of 20k+ most weeks at Highfield Rd and one great FA Cup win.
Having said all that, I still wish the team well, but I have lost faith. 53 years as a supporter and one FA Cup win to show for it. Jeez, we can't even manage a top six place. Ah well, it's off to watch a local derby on Bank Holiday Monday, Newport (IW) v Cowes Sports. Now there's a game I'm looking forward to!

Users who are viewing this thread