Northants police have ‘very real concerns’ about groundshare (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/n...coventry-city-switch-to-northampton-1-5270517

Police chiefs have “very real concerns” about the impact Coventry City’s move to Northampton could have on resources in the county, it has emerged.

Senior police figures are due to take part in discussions with Northampton Town FC, Northampton Borough Council and other key figures today (Thursday) about the agreement, which was this week ratified by the Football League.

The agreement allows the Sky Blues to play their home games at Sixfields for the next three years.

During that time, Northamptonshire Police will be responsible for any policing of Coventry City’s major home matches.

They will include the visit of teams with large away followings, such as Peterborough United – who are due to visit Sixfields on Boxing Day – Wolverhampton Wanderers and Sheffield United.

The prospect of large-scale away followings coming to Northampton could require “significant” police numbers, it has been warned.

Currently, police are only required at Sixfields on a handful of occasions during the season, with stadium safety otherwise left in the hands of match-day stewards.

Under the terms of the agreement, Coventry City will have to pay for policing, however, local officers will be deployed to Sixfields, stretching resources.

Police & Crime Commissioner Adam Simmonds is set to meet the leader of Northampton Borough Council, David Mackintosh, as well as local councillors.

Speaking this week, Mr Simmonds said: “At this time we have some very real concerns about the possibility that significant extra policing might be necessary on some occasions and I am looking forward to meeting Councillor Mackintosh to talk about this.”

So besides our supporters, players, former players, former managers, other teams supporters, life presidents, sponsors, northants police, london supporters club, sky blue trust, supporters direct and others I've forgotten its thumbs up all the way for Tims plan. :D

Sky Blues

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/n...coventry-city-switch-to-northampton-1-5270517

So besides our supporters, players, former players, former managers, other teams supporters, life presidents, sponsors, northants police, london supporters club, sky blue trust, supporters direct and others I've forgotten its thumbs up all the way for Tims plan. :D

You'd think Sisu would consult the police prior to doing a deal that Mr Fisher says it will be expensive for them to get out of. :facepalm:

Astute

Senior police figures are due to take part in discussions with Northampton Town FC, Northampton Borough Council and other key figures today (Thursday) about the agreement, which was this week ratified by the Football League.

The agreement allows the Sky Blues to play their home games at Sixfields for the next three years.

During that time, Northamptonshire Police will be responsible for any policing of Coventry City’s major home matches.

They will include the visit of teams with large away followings, such as Peterborough United – who are due to visit Sixfields on Boxing Day – Wolverhampton Wanderers and Sheffield United.

The prospect of large-scale away followings coming to Northampton could require “significant” police numbers, it has been warned.

Currently, police are only required at Sixfields on a handful of occasions during the season, with stadium safety otherwise left in the hands of match-day stewards.

Under the terms of the agreement, Coventry City will have to pay for policing, however, local officers will be deployed to Sixfields, stretching resources.

Police & Crime Commissioner Adam Simmonds is set to meet the leader of Northampton Borough Council, David Mackintosh, as well as local councillors.

Speaking this week, Mr Simmonds said: “At this time we have some very real concerns about the possibility that significant extra policing might be necessary on some occasions and I am looking forward to meeting Councillor Mackintosh to talk about this.”

Seems like even their police know they won't be needed much for our small home attendances, but will be needed for teams with away support....including Peterborough :D

Sub

Seems like even their police know they won't be needed much for our small home attendances, but will be needed for teams with away support....including Peterborough :D

i think hes on about the fans of the teams we will be playing :whistle:

chiefdave

you don't need many idiots for it all to kick off and with 3 sets of fans involved trying to keep them all apart if it does kick off would not be easy.

jesus-wept

Pressure hopefully will be put on the policing aspect. They mentioned the large numbers of fans expected for certain games but there is also the locals who may be about so it is possibly a three way issue

honestken

we should definately get over there next saturday for a protest.

the police will shit it if 100 + city fans turn up for a protest when Northampton are playing Peterboro in pre season friendly!

we could really ramp up some pressure!!

Warwickhunt

we should definately get over there next saturday for a protest.

the police will shit it if 100 + city fans turn up for a protest when Northampton are playing Peterboro in pre season friendly!

we could really ramp up some pressure!!
What would ramp it up is if the City Fans flooded the place to over capacity for the first game it would create terminal problems such the health and safety executive would be involved, also stretching the poilce resources to breaking point they would not know what to do with the people who could not get in whilst they were demonstrating outside the ground

Mary_Mungo_Midge

This is one issue; but there's one huge other one. The Catthorpe Interchange. The M6/A14 junction. It is one of the most deadly in the UK:

http://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/ne...-review-is-needed-following-crashes-1-2605452

With all of the fixture clashes with Northampton; games will be moved to Sundays, and many to midweek evenings. The Catthorpe Interchange, on a wet, icy winter evening doesn't need one more car passing by without need. Hundreds more is as good as signing a death warrant

rupert_bear

What would ramp it up is if the City Fans flooded the place to over capacity for the first game it would create terminal problems such the health and safety executive would be involved, also stretching the poilce resources to breaking point they would not know what to do with the people who could not get in whilst they were demonstrating outside the ground
You are right hoards of fans turning up by road and rail converging on Sixfields some going in many not but just hanging around will be a massive headache and expensive.

CCFC PimpRail

What do local residents think of the plans...? If I lived near a stadium and was told is be getting twice the disruption caused by a team I have no affinity for, I'd have something to say....

chiefdave

What do local residents think of the plans...? If I lived near a stadium and was told is be getting twice the disruption caused by a team I have no affinity for, I'd have something to say....

I've been keeping an eye on their local paper site and initially the attitude seemed to be as long as they got some money no problem but that seems to be changing with the realization of who they are dealing with and the potential issues.

Cranfield Sky Blue

Much as I don't want to go, and I live much nearer Sixfields than The Ricoh, I like the sound of this more and more!

dadgad

It's going to be a riot.
Seriously tho', there are bound t b problems. Many of which will be unforeseen. Policing football is one thing but with each match promising to be a demo as well?
Time to rethink.

Bennets Afro

The trust should inform the police each home game of how many fans will be coming down to protest, so the resource is stretched inside the ground and outside.
Big numbers will soon annoy the police enough that they might say it isn't viable to police

RoboCCFC90

I know it's very unrealistic but imagine if we took between 10,000 - 15,000 to the first game against Bristol City! Northants police would shit a brick with so many fans in the ground and so many outside making a huge protest.. Could in theory Northants Police say to the FL or whomever that they are totally against this idea and wish that the FL find an alternative?

Astute

I know it's very unrealistic but imagine if we took between 10,000 - 15,000 to the first game against Bristol City! Northants police would shit a brick with so many fans in the ground and so many outside making a huge protest.. Could in theory Northants Police say to the FL or whomever that they are totally against this idea and wish that the FL find an alternative?

10,000 to 15,000 and none in the ground would be better. How big is that hill?:thinking about:

Away Fans come to The Ricoh too...

Could we get the likes of Wolves, Walsall, Port Vale ect...any fans (trusts) from north of Coventry to come to The Ricoh instead of Northampton, this would show a brothers in arms mentality...and give some PR?

Sky Blues

Police and Crime Commissioner for Northamptonshire, Adam Simmonds, speaking on CWR said the police were annoyed they were not consulted by Football League before it made its decision and thinks the League should pay more attention to their needs.

He said they cannot move some Northampton Saints games because of television commitments and they may have to look at options such as holding fans back. He said there will need to be a discussion about what the CCFC will have to pay for policing - e.g. will they have to pay for policing on the hill behind Sixfields.

mattylad

In years to come all across pubs in Coventry it will be known as the battle for sixfields! Where in marched an army of burberry clad late teen chavs supported by a sway of middle aged guys with beer bellies and shaven heads. Jesting apart it will turn ugly, the ground will get trashed and arrests for fighting are inevitable.

Chinny_Hill

I did have a similar thought to this. Almost the opposite of NOPM. Lets say 12,000 City turn up for the first game, with half not being able to access the ground that's a nightmare for the FL and SISU, Both of whom would be made to look inept. At the end of the day they have committed to a ground with a capacity far less than our average gate. You could argue that they are both allowing us to die a slow death. I am sure this would create a national news story and a real headache for the residents and Police over in Northampton.

standupforcity

I completely agree. The the FL need to realize the mistake they've made in ratifying an agreement over a ground which is way to small for our club. And looking further ahead, what a crazy idea to think about building a studium that only holds 18,000. What kind of capacity is that these days...what happens if we win promotion...do we then build another stadium with a greater capacity. And all this time the Ricoh is sitting empty in Coventry, the true home of our club. I''m not at all sure if the powers that be truely realize just how angry us fans are about this whole fiasco, and frankly anything could happen over the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread