North Stand back open.. (1 Viewer)

duffer

Yes but with the away end being so big and so few away fans it is still like only behind one goal.

Fair comment that - but I would have thought a fair few that were in the South stand on Friday would choose to go in there again, even with the CET stand re-opened. Does this mean that they are going to close block 11 again now then, or have I (once again) completely misunderstood?

Johnnythespider

Some people prefer to watch the match behind the goal some people like to watch from the side... Let people have a choice. And it will have no bearing on atmosphere. Atmosphere is generated by the quality of he match
Sorry disagree with this, atmosphere is created by all those who like to create a good atmosphere being located in one area of the ground, this is why the atmosphere at away games is often better than home matches. I think this is a backward step.

Gynnsthetonic

They could have had the front 10 rows used by the JSBs in the north stand and the rest closed, I sat row x south stand Friday and enjoyed the view,I agree that the crowds below 15000 will look sparse and being close to away fans makes for a better atmosphere, at Villa, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City there is a piece of mesh separating fans and never any trouble inside stadium.

RoboCCFC90

I am not surprised this has turned out to be the case, I am sure many fans from whom had previously sat in that are of the Ricoh had complained in such a way that to appease fans the Club has bent over backwards.

I personally preffered the idea of closing the Telegraph Stand, but such is life.

shmmeee

Sorry disagree with this, atmosphere is created by all those who like to create a good atmosphere being located in one area of the ground, this is why the atmosphere at away games is often better than home matches. I think this is a backward step.

I think ghettoisation of the terraces decreases atmosphere to be honest. Like "singers corner" the only people who hear that "atmosphere" are those in that corner. I think one of the reasons the atmosphere was so good last Friday was because people were forced to sit all over and you have spots of "singers" encouraging those near by to sing.

skybluetony176

Could the number of sold season tickets be another factor in reversing the decision?

I'm asking that like I know how many season tickets have been sold and I don't. Does anyone know how many season tickets have been sold to date?

cornoccfc

I agree it is a morgue 90% of the time, I think it was mainly for people who wished to sit behind a goal, but now, hopefully we have two stands to choose from.

A morgue with the sun in your eyes!

Could the number of sold season tickets be another factor in reversing the decision?

I'm asking that like I know how many season tickets have been sold and I don't. Does anyone know how many season tickets have been sold to date?

3200+ they said earlier

shmmeee

It was improved, but still 80% were sitting down.
I wouldn't want to be in a stand which has its back rows closed... Atmosphere will drift away.

Thing is, it doesn't reach the pitch or the opposite side of the ground from the back either. Best solution would be a smaller ground all around, ignoring that the best you can do is move people closer to the pitch, and therefore to each other. The further the sound has to travel, the quieter it is. Physics an that. Ideally you'd close off the stands with something that reflects the noise back, but even without it the atmosphere on the pitch​ would be better with fans at the front than the back.

Edit: Hmm, maybe not. Interesting article about the stadium that holds the record for fan noise here (http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013/09/17/the-science-of-sound-how-seattle-got-so-darn-loud/) seems to suggest that the roof has the biggest impact, would be interested to see the maths done on full front rows Vs half empty entire stand though.

Last edited:

RegTheDonk

They probably baulked at the quote for moving the padded ones lol.

Bit of a cock up then, if I were them I'd stick with how things are after all this messing about, and just open up blocks when needed on a game-by-game basis. I guess they believe they will either get decent home gates from now on - or expect larger away followings?

Nice that they are "listening to the fans", though it does go against the idea of a more passionate atmosphere.

Johnnythespider

I think ghettoisation of the terraces decreases atmosphere to be honest. Like "singers corner" the only people who hear that "atmosphere" are those in that corner. I think one of the reasons the atmosphere was so good last Friday was because people were forced to sit all over and you have spots of "singers" encouraging those near by to sing.
I can understand your point in a full stadium, however when there are 10- 12000 rattling around in there it just ends up disjointed. As for Friday I think everybody was so fired up to see the team back that it took care of itself.
P.S. I like the word ghettoisation and will now attempt to shoehorn it into all conversations :)

Johnnythespider

They probably baulked at the quote for moving the padded ones lol.

Bit of a cock up then, if I were them I'd stick with how things are after all this messing about, and just open up blocks when needed on a game-by-game basis. I guess they believe they will either get decent home gates from now on - or expect larger away followings?

Nice that they are "listening to the fans", though it does go against the idea of a more passionate atmosphere.
Is it listening to the fans, surely the only people making any noise about the closure of the north stand would be those that didn't agree with being moved, those who thought it a good idea are not likely to contact the club and tell them.

wingy

Is it listening to the fans, surely the only people making any noise about the closure of the north stand would be those that didn't agree with being moved, those who thought it a good idea are not likely to contact the club and tell them.

The quote says It's to do with customer satisfaction and the Managers wish.

More likely to do with Practicalities around segregation and Police influence .

It seems to be forgotten that for the first 2 -3 seasons It's where the most atmosphere was created and perfectly well IMO.

People equated It to the Old WE @ HR ,then Singers Corner evolved and things dissipated .

Not moaning, things evolve,just setting the record straight ,It may have become dead In there more recently ,but that wasn't always the case.

Mr T - Sukka!

You do realise if CCFC got promoted you will have to move again next season.

Leeds/Wolves/Birmingham all bring 6k fans. They will need to go behind a goal.

Moving season tickets 3 times in under a year!

SkyBlueJu

I have sat in the North Stand/CET stand since the Ricoh opened as have a lot of us in there - we pretty much transferred from similar seats at Highfield Road. We (friends and I) were forced to move on Friday night and whilst we enjoyed the game, we hated the South Stand...felt really odd and unfamiliar and being so close to the away fans meant we were on the edge of the atmosphere. I guess you get used to where you sit, and given time we'd probably have gotten used to the South Stand, but we have jumped at the chance to move back. We sit behind the goal and think the atmosphere is fine - would be better if stewards allowed it - they are forever making us sit down! I think the best solution would have been to move everyone in all stands down to the front, but not everyone would be happy. A spread of fans around the ground ensures support all round, less queues at certain points outside and evenly spaced queues at half-time. Of course, if we filled the Ricoh each week, there would be permanent atmosphere! :)

pusbccfc

I was at the Birmingham game and disagree and the Preston match only proves my point

There was only about 7000 Coventry fans at that game and half of them were in the corner. One of the best atmosphere's at the Ricoh that.

pusbccfc

The quote says It's to do with customer satisfaction and the Managers wish.

More likely to do with Practicalities around segregation and Police influence .

It seems to be forgotten that for the first 2 -3 seasons It's where the most atmosphere was created and perfectly well IMO.

People equated It to the Old WE @ HR ,then Singers Corner evolved and things dissipated .

Not moaning, things evolve,just setting the record straight ,It may have become dead In there more recently ,but that wasn't always the case.

The first two years at the Ricoh I sat in the CET and despite the odd decent atmosphere there wasn't one that stood out.

The corner has always had a better atmosphere. The reason being you are compacted into a small space.

Astute

You are right. It was absolutely dead last season.

theferret

You do realise if CCFC got promoted you will have to move again next season.

Leeds/Wolves/Birmingham all bring 6k fans. They will need to go behind a goal.

Moving season tickets 3 times in under a year!

Firstly, none of those clubs would bring 6K on their next visit, and secondly, why would anyone have to move again? The ground is now back to it's old pre-Northampton layout. Nothing would change.

aloisiwouldhavescored

Staying where i am now.. cant be arsed!
We feel a bit like that!

Seriously though, we have had seats in the CET Stand since the Ricoh opened and weren't very happy about moving. However we chose new seats in the West (Main) Stand and quite liked it in there. As we are now in our 60's we found it easier to get in and out of our seats and away and out of the ground at the end so maybe we will stay there now. We just want to be sure our padded seats are definitely going with us though, before we make the final decision.

fernandopartridge

Think this is a foolish idea personally. The justification for moving everyone to the South Stand was that the atmosphere was poor under the old seating arrangements. Therefore they have already acknowledged that the atmosphere will be poor this season.

If they had just left alone and had it how it was to start with then fine. But to close a stand, open a new one, and then close the new one, and reopen the old one, all in two weeks just looks very amateurish.
I suspect that it has actually been forced upon them but they'd rather take the appeasing the fans line.

Noggin

absolutely terrible news, we are going to end up with the worst atmospheres weve ever had at the ricoh which is going to discourage people coming back, they may well be doing this for the right reasons but I think this is an area where people just dont know whats best for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread