North or South ? (1 Viewer)

Lfcloyal

My Son supports Cov from the North West but how do Coventry fans see themselves as Midlanders 1st then who next North or South.....please dont say Southerners 👍

Last edited:

Tommo1993

Hard to say. Northerners are full on gobshites. Southerners are gobshites but they’re pansies about it.

Alkhen

Midlands is the Midlands. Neith North nor South. Got its own thing going on.

Side question apart from farmers what is the perception of people from the West Country? I live here and it's so different than elsewhere. Hate how the northerners class half the country as cockney wide boys or pansies

Sky Blue Harry H

From my childhood/early teens, when I used to holiday on the South coast, I used to struggle with the loudmouth Cockneys, hearing 'fack' every other word. Really didn't like them - I've softened since. Up North, I've found people tend to have more of a bond with their towns and cities, so tended to associate more with that. As others have said though - midlands city, neither north nor south.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Have lived in Birmingham for a while, and before that Sheffield and Manchester (but from Coventry) and would say the Midlands is definitely distinct from north or south. And Coventry is a bit distinct from the rest of the West Midlands (more Warwickshire tbf ;)).

Always felt more like a Coventrian than a Midlander though.

Lfcloyal

I’m still bitter from Warwickshire bears changing their name
Remember going to Highfield Road and Warwickshire had beaten Lancashire in the Cricket scoring about 500 + runs and Coventry fans singing about it 😄 Scouser's didn't give a shit but us woolybacks did

skyblue025

Having lived in all 3. The Midlands is still home, the North people are friendly and there is more community. The South people tend to be a bit aloof and full of themselves.

skyblue1991

Coventry is in the Midlands therefore CCFC is in the Midlands and nothing else.

Strange question.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Lfcloyal

The last time i was in Coventry it was for a Rugby League match and if you didn't know where you were you'd still think you were in the North even some of the suburbs from the M6 look familiar housing wise

Woolly68

Midlands is the Midlands. Neith North nor South. Got its own thing going on.

Side question apart from farmers what is the perception of people from the West Country? I live here and it's so different than elsewhere. Hate how the northerners class half the country as cockney wide boys or pansies
Coventry is definitely Midlands, neither North or South. I live in Devon and to me West Country is, in the main, Cornwall, Devon and Somerset with Bristol at the top end. Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Dorset are transition counties, especially East Dorset and Wiltshire which are really southern counties. Go to Bournemouth and the accent has changed to a London accent already.

Mucca Mad Boys

All of my northern friends call us southerners, the southerners think anything north of Watford is ‘The North’.

We’re definitely in the middle. For the sake of choosing for cup competition, we’re technically in the north.

Samo

Coventrian
But if you are asking which I identify more with, it is definitely the south, particularly London

oscillatewildly

All of my northern friends call us southerners, the southerners think anything north of Watford is ‘The North’.

We’re definitely in the middle. For the sake of choosing for cup competition, we’re technically in the north.
Our 'balanced' geographical location meant we spent one season in the North section of the regionalised Div 3 before switching to Div 3 South.
So even the footballing authorities briefly had cause for some head scratching over our precise location.

Sky Blue Harry H

I've lived in Leamington, Whitley, Binley and Warwick. Felt happy enough in all, although one or two 'characters' around Binley. Anytime I went near Wood End, though, I felt I was starting to wander into a different world (and I worked for years in Hillfields)!

Mcbean

If you ask the BBC mostly the Midlands is Shropshire - Leicestershire cos there’s fuck all stories from South Warwickshire

publican1990

If you ask the BBC mostly the Midlands is Shropshire - Leicestershire cos there’s fuck all stories from South Warwickshire

In general the region receives crap coverage in the mainstream. I can't even remember the last long running tv show that was made in Cov, Keeping up Appearances I guess? And that ended 25 years ago and never explicitly stated that it was Coventry.

The bbc must make a shed load from the west midlands in licence fee money but they don't really appear to reinvest much of it in locally made content.

To answer the original question I consider myself from the Midlands. Can't stand 'professional northerners' or the mockney accent that you find all over the south now.

D

Deleted member 4439

Either way, it gets confusing when one week we're called a bunch of dirty northerners and another week a bunch of cheating southerners.

stay_up_skyblues

In general the region receives crap coverage in the mainstream. I can't even remember the last long running tv show that was made in Cov, Keeping up Appearances I guess? And that ended 25 years ago and never explicitly stated that it was Coventry.

The bbc must make a shed load from the west midlands in licence fee money but they don't really appear to reinvest much of it in locally made content.

To answer the original question I consider myself from the Midlands. Can't stand 'professional northerners' or the mockney accent that you find all over the south now.

Tbf there’s an ongoing series on channel five about shoplifters in West Orchards. The security guards have commando nicknames and everything.

Tommo1993

Remember when I was working down in St Austell. A local recognised my colleagues Essex accents and guessed my accent was Stoke-on-Trent. Get outta here!

Covstu

Being from Scottish I have a lot more affinity with the North but as for Cov, it’s only been midlands

the only real question coming out of that, is do people see themselves as west mids or Warwickshire?

Users who are viewing this thread