No wonder we feel so happy at the moment... (1 Viewer)

peace ndlovu

A lot of people have mentioned it's three years since we won 4 on the bounce.
The last time we were this high in the league was on the last day of that anti-climactic 2015-16 season.
I'd almost forgotten quite how bad 2016-17 was. Highest league position all season? 17th...after losing against Swindon...the first game of the season.

ConnorDevine

I took my girlfriend to the home game against Bury at the start of that season, I couldn't believe how poor we were, I was bored to tears I cant imagine how she felt.

Terry_dactyl

A lot of people have mentioned it's three years since we won 4 on the bounce.
The last time we were this high in the league was on the last day of that anti-climactic 2015-16 season.
I'd almost forgotten quite how bad 2016-17 was. Highest league position all season? 17th...after losing against Swindon...the first game of the season.
I was at that Swindon game. I remember saying, “it’ll all be alright once mowbray finishes his transfer business”.
It was nice and sunny though.

Adge

I was at that Swindon game. I remember saying, “it’ll all be alright once mowbray finishes his transfer business”.
It was nice and sunny though.
Yes, weren’t we all! Told my son straight after that game that we were going down with that team. Think we all knew to be honest.

Alex1987

I understand 6 in a row is our historic record of consecutive league wins (lower than I'd have thought). Not getting carried away, but does anyone know when we last did 5 in a row in the league?

superskyblue

I understand 6 in a row is our historic record of consecutive league wins (lower than I'd have thought). Not getting carried away, but does anyone know when we last did 5 in a row in the league?
I thought we won 7 in a row in 1998. I remember a series of 1-0 wins and Dublin penalties. [EDIT] have just looked and it was 5. Maybe it was 7 including cup games.

Terry_dactyl

Yes, weren’t we all! Told my son straight after that game that we were going down with that team. Think we all knew to be honest.
Yep. Overheard a Swindon fan saying afterwards, “it’s fair to say that they’re going to be one of the weaker teams this year”. I thought the young welsh lad (forget his name but has gone to Swansea) looked good.
I think it was my first viewing of one of one of the DKEs. Reminded me of that joke from father ted about perspective, sort of. “This DKE is small, and this DKE is very far away”.

Johhny Blue

Yep. Overheard a Swindon fan saying afterwards, “it’s fair to say that they’re going to be one of the weaker teams this year”. I thought the young welsh lad (forget his name but has gone to Swansea) looked good.
I think it was my first viewing of one of one of the DKEs. Reminded me of that joke from father ted about perspective, sort of. “This DKE is small, and this DKE is very far away”.
Aren’t they both small and far away?

Otis

According to Jim Brown (as quoted on Quest), we last won 6 in a row in 1907/8 season.

Gibbo

A quirk of the fixture list means that by Christmas we will have played all of the other seven in the current top eight at home, but none of them away. We will have played Walsall and Fleetwood, currently 9th and 10th away.
Now after Christmas we may win away at the likes of Scunthorpe and Rochdale to whom we inexplicably lost at home, to partly compensate, and also have some some easy home games against Bradford, Oxford and so on. But we still only get 3 points no matter how easy they are. The point is that this constitutes a difficult second half to the season if we are coveting a play-off place, and maybe / almost certainly rules out the automatics. We would have to have insanely good results against the clubs currently not in the top 8.to compensate for the inevitable points losses away.
Just to show how difficult it will be, 5 games ago I did an amateur projection of the results for the clubs above us up until next week, on the basis we would get 4 wins and 2 draws (3 at home plus Bradford away were the wins). This indicated we would just about creep into the top 6 after beating Accrington. We can now see it will take 6 straight wins to creep into the top 6

Londonccfcfan

Whilst I've not seen anything to blow me away in terms of overall performance the results have generally been great and the fight and togetherness of the team has been immense so far this year. Which makes me feel optimistic because we are not reliant on a single individual for our position (other than Robins I suppose you could argue).

Excellent point about not relying on single player. At times last season we relied on Jones 1st half of season and then MM second half.

It’s been total team performances. Goals can come from literally anywhere including the defence. The squad is so strong that it’s keeping everyone on their toes.

Brighton Sky Blue

A quirk of the fixture list means that by Christmas we will have played all of the other seven in the current top eight at home, but none of them away. We will have played Walsall and Fleetwood, currently 9th and 10th away.
Now after Christmas we may win away at the likes of Scunthorpe and Rochdale to whom we inexplicably lost at home, to partly compensate, and also have some some easy home games against Bradford, Oxford and so on. But we still only get 3 points no matter how easy they are. The point is that this constitutes a difficult second half to the season if we are coveting a play-off place, and maybe / almost certainly rules out the automatics. We would have to have insanely good results against the clubs currently not in the top 8.to compensate for the inevitable points losses away.
Just to show how difficult it will be, 5 games ago I did an amateur projection of the results for the clubs above us up until next week, on the basis we would get 4 wins and 2 draws (3 at home plus Bradford away were the wins). This indicated we would just about creep into the top 6 after beating Accrington. We can now see it will take 6 straight wins to creep into the top 6

If we're good enough to make the play offs we'll get the points required, if not we won't. Except for the early horror show at Blackpool we haven't looked bad on the road and won't be an easy prospect for the teams around us.

shmmeee

Excellent point about not relying on single player. At times last season we relied on Jones 1st half of season and then MM second half.

It’s been total team performances. Goals can come from literally anywhere including the defence. The squad is so strong that it’s keeping everyone on their toes.

That's been the nice thing, we've got four on 3 goals rather than one on 10 and a couple on 1, and one of those four isn't even in the starting lineup, plus players that would've been key (Jones/Andreu/Kelly/Ogogo) that are yet to hit full fitness/form and not being missed. Robins has built a great squad.

I think I'd be happy just keeping Thomas until the end of the season in the Jan window, unless we lose anyone. Otherwise this squad seems good for the season, and I can't remember ever feeling that about a City squad coming up towards Christmas.

Gibbo

If we're good enough to make the play offs we'll get the points required, if not we won't. Except for the early horror show at Blackpool we haven't looked bad on the road and won't be an easy prospect for the teams around us.
Not so simple as that

hill83

Yeah but

Autos (1560.54039)
Top 6 (1560.4532)

Win (1584.566) +26 x 4.5 / 3 = z*3/4
Draw (1557.556) -3 3√a 4.443
Loss (1529.334) -31 a^b / 444

Sky Blue Harry H

I think I'd be happy just keeping Thomas until the end of the season in the Jan window, unless we lose anyone

Sorry shmmeee, you lost me with this sentence, although I agreed with your post overall ! Actually having re-read it for the third time, do you mean that if we kept him on in the January window, and that was the only business we did, you'd be happy (barring injuries). If so, it makes sense now and I'll be off to give your post a 'like' !!

Last edited:

Johhny Blue

Careful, you’re turning into Philosorator

shmmeee

Sorry shmmeee, you lost me with this sentence, although I agreed with your post overall ! Actually having re-read it for the third time, do you mean that if we kept him on in the January window, and that was the only business we did, you'd be happy (baring injuries). If so, it makes sense now and I'll be off to give your post a 'like' !!

Yes that’s exactly what I meant :)

tigersb

It's great that we're in a position that some are upset that we are a goal out of the playoff spots
To be well out of the threat of going down is the major plus point so far imo
Onwards and upwards
PUSB!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread