No Prison for Rapist Sean Hogg (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueMatt

A teenager who was raped when she was 13 is living in fear that her attacker will come after her after he walked free from court.

Sean Hogg was 17 when he attacked the young victim in Dalkeith Country Park on a number of occasions in 2018.

He was convicted of rape earlier this month however, due to new sentencing guidelines for under 25s, he was not jailed and instead given 270 hours of unpaid work.

-------

I'm not sure how this is possible?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

JAM See

A teenager who was raped when she was 13 is living in fear that her attacker will come after her after he walked free from court.

Sean Hogg was 17 when he attacked the young victim in Dalkeith Country Park on a number of occasions in 2018.

He was convicted of rape earlier this month however, due to new sentencing guidelines for under 25s, he was not jailed and instead given 270 hours of unpaid work.

-------

I'm not sure how this is possible?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
'On a number of occasions' leads me to think they knew each other and, as a 17 year old he was taking advantage of a 13 year old.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

skybluetony176

Sadly in Scotland this is an ongoing issue. Scottish law has always had something called the corroboration rule (which basically comes from Ancient Rome and the catholic faith) which is devastating for many victims of crime in Scotland but specifically victims of sexual abuse and rape. Basically unless the perpetrator confesses the case against them has to prove the elements of the case in more than one way including whether penetration took place or consent wasn’t given. It’s antiquated and stupid. It’s hard enough to get a rape conviction in the UK without this dark age rule.

shmmeee

Sadly in Scotland this is an ongoing issue. Scottish law has always had something called the corroboration rule (which basically comes from Ancient Rome and the catholic faith) which is devastating for many victims of crime in Scotland but specifically victims of sexual abuse and rape. Basically unless the perpetrator confesses the case against them has to prove the elements of the case in more than one way including whether penetration took place or consent wasn’t given. It’s antiquated and stupid. It’s hard enough to get a rape conviction in the UK without this dark age rule.

What’s the problem with the law? The issue here surely is sentencing guidelines, he was convicted.

skybluetony176

What’s the problem with the law? The issue here surely is sentencing guidelines, he was convicted.
I think the law restricts the guidelines. My understanding is he didn’t plead guilty so his sentence essentially got down graded as the corroboration rules weren’t fully met. Had he pleaded guilty he would have got a jail sentence.

ProfessorbyGrace

I know someone who’s going through something similar, albeit via a step daughter - who is under the age of consent and was abused by a teenage boy.
The torment that families go through is palpable.

As a father to two girls myself, one of which is entering secondary school in September, the lurking threat of predatory behaviour is one that I’ve tried to gently warn and educate my kids about - plus, if they get enough positive and encouraging attention from the ‘patriarchal’ figures in their family, and are taught to respect themselves, the chances of being led down a dark path by a sweaty little deviant is less likely to happen.
Plus, limited access to social media: I’ve seen too much happen firsthand on Facebook, Snapchat and all the other crap out there to know that these are havens for predators, of all ages and sexes, and therefore have limited my kids’ access to just YouTube, until they’re capable of discerning for themselves.

I’m under no illusions though, and if it ever happened to one of mine, I honestly don’t know how I would react. It would sure as heck eat me alive for a while.
All we can do is educate and guide, so that the possibility is reduced.

Macca1987

What the fuck is happening in this world

"Two teenage girls have allegedly been raped after being approached by a pair of men outside a McDonald’s.

Police have issued an appeal for witnesses following reports of an attack on a 14-year-old girl and a 15-year-old girl on Saturday night in Nuneaton, Warwickshire.

One of the girls was raped between 7pm and 8pm in Riversley Park, Warwickshire Police said, while the other was attacked in Jubilee Park between 7pm and 10pm.

The first suspect is 5ft 5 in with a skinny build, straight black hair, tanned skin and some facial hair.

He is said to have been wearing black trousers and a black puffa jacket, as well as diamond stud earrings.

The other suspect was of a similar height and build but pale with short, black curly hair. He also wore a black puffa coat, with black tracksuit bottoms and white trainers."

Sky Blue Pete

I know someone who’s going through something similar, albeit via a step daughter - who is under the age of consent and was abused by a teenage boy.
The torment that families go through is palpable.

As a father to two girls myself, one of which is entering secondary school in September, the lurking threat of predatory behaviour is one that I’ve tried to gently warn and educate my kids about - plus, if they get enough positive and encouraging attention from the ‘patriarchal’ figures in their family, and are taught to respect themselves, the chances of being led down a dark path by a sweaty little deviant is less likely to happen.
Plus, limited access to social media: I’ve seen too much happen firsthand on Facebook, Snapchat and all the other crap out there to know that these are havens for predators, of all ages and sexes, and therefore have limited my kids’ access to just YouTube, until they’re capable of discerning for themselves.

I’m under no illusions though, and if it ever happened to one of mine, I honestly don’t know how I would react. It would sure as heck eat me alive for a while.
All we can do is educate and guide, so that the possibility is reduced.
I’m sorry I initially loved it. I agreed with the sentiments of what you were saying was all

Users who are viewing this thread