No Google - Who scored our last Championship League goal? (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

This was a poor side but ought to have stayed up with a half decent manager. As it was you’d take Cranie, Keogh, Christie and Juke with Murphy to compete for the No. 1 slot. Clingan was a real disappointment that season but might take as a back up

Hadji's_Goatee

There were far too many weak points in that team. The GK and two CBs were good, but everyone else were past it, not good enough or just starting out. Even Cyrus was very green.

We didn't score enough and conceded some comical goals that season.

skybluegod

Baker was a League One player so was above his level at the time anyway, he did OK after that but mostly at L1 level.

Did well with MK in the champ after us, but as i said in my post had a decent career, and actually got better, everyone else declined or fell off the face of the earth.

I mean bloody David Bell

Sammy clingan who thought he was too good for us then ended up signing for doncaster and made the whole of 6 appearances.

Brighton Sky Blue

There were far too many weak points in that team. The GK and two CBs were good, but everyone else were past it, not good enough or just starting out. Even Cyrus was very green.

We didn't score enough and conceded some comical goals that season.

We gave up an insane number of points from winning positions if memory serves

win9nut

Did well with MK in the champ after us, but as i said in my post had a decent career, and actually got better, everyone else declined or fell off the face of the earth.

I mean bloody David Bell

Sammy clingan who thought he was too good for us then ended up signing for doncaster and made the whole of 6 appearances.
I'm sure he changed his name by deed poll to David Bloody Bell

Ring Of Steel

In retrospect selling Jutkiewicz in the January window was the final nail in our coffin. Nimely & Platt were poor replacements.

Yeah I mean I'm not saying they should have been pushing for the playoffs or anything, but I do think a good manager should have been able to scrape through and not ended up relegated.

Legia Sky Blue

Obviously there is time for a few more transfers but as of now our starting line up for the Bristol game will be something like: Marosi, Pask, Drysdale, McFadzean, Hyam, Giles, Hamer, Kelly, Shipley, O'Hare & Godden. Comparing this team to the one that started our last Championship season is difficult, not least because of the different formations, which means you can't just compare players like for like. It's also difficult because we still don't know how good some of or current players will end up being.

The relegated team had much more Championship experience, something many have been calling to be added to the team now. For me where our current team has the definite edge is in midfield where we are a well compact unit that work together well. That relegated team had a mish mash of players in midfield who (excluding Bell) could be good on their day, but never performed as an effective unit. Defensively there wouldn't be much between the teams, although once Dabo & Rose are back I would sway to the current team. Up front however Jutkiewicz was a more reliable Championship forward at that point than Godden is at present.

Although I'm not one of the Thorn haters on here, in that he faced a nigh on impossible task, having lost Westwood, Turner, Gunnarsson and King in the Summer, with only Murphy coming in as a replacement, the biggest difference between the 2 teams is that in MR we have a manager at the top of his game, rather than a novice.

Legia Sky Blue

Yeah I mean I'm not saying they should have been pushing for the playoffs or anything, but I do think a good manager should have been able to scrape through and not ended up relegated.

I actually believed we would stay up until we lost that game at Bristol City around Easter I think, but if I'm right there was a late transfer window in those days and they brought in about 6 new players which gave them some impetus. If we had won that Bristol game it would have probably stopped that in its tracks.

Brighton Sky Blue

Obviously there is time for a few more transfers but as of now our starting line up for the Bristol game will be something like: Marosi, Pask, Drysdale, McFadzean, Hyam, Giles, Hamer, Kelly, Shipley, O'Hare & Godden. Comparing this team to the one that started our last Championship season is difficult, not least because of the different formations, which means you can't just compare players like for like. It's also difficult because we still don't know how good some of or current players will end up being.

The relegated team had much more Championship experience, something many have been calling to be added to the team now. For me where our current team has the definite edge is in midfield where we are a well compact unit that work together well. That relegated team had a mish mash of players in midfield who (excluding Bell) could be good on their day, but never performed as an effective unit. Defensively there wouldn't be much between the teams, although once Dabo & Rose are back I would sway to the current team. Up front however Jutkiewicz was a more reliable Championship forward at that point than Godden is at present.

Although I'm not one of the Thorn haters on here, in that he faced a nigh on impossible task, having lost Westwood, Turner, Gunnarsson and King in the Summer, with only Murphy coming in as a replacement, the biggest difference between the 2 teams is that in MR we have a manager at the top of his game, rather than a novice.

With that team we needed a wise head not a lucky caretaker-it would have stayed up with someone half competent

CJ_covblaze

View attachment 16493
This is how we lined up in the first game of the last season v Leicester at home ( one nil defeat )
How do we feel we match up? I'd take McSheffrey as he peaking at that point. That's about it though. Juke was decent, but not quite the finished article.

Keogh over McFadzean too.

SeaSeeEffCee

I actually believed we would stay up until we lost that game at Bristol City around Easter I think, but if I'm right there was a late transfer window in those days and they brought in about 6 new players which gave them some impetus. If we had won that Bristol game it would have probably stopped that in its tracks.
Remember going to that game, we were absolutely awful that game. One of the worst performances I’ve seen. They were a poor side and we didn’t look like we had any idea of how to either break them down or keep them out.

Brighton Sky Blue

Remember going to that game, we were absolutely awful that game. One of the worst performances I’ve seen. They were a poor side and we didn’t look like we had any idea of how to either break them down or keep them out.

Pissed it down with rain afterwards too. Take that and the Peterborough game a few days before and we chucked 5 points from those two alone

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Yeah, infamously from my pov was a cold January night up at Blackpool, Conor Thomas scored for City quite late and with 88 minutes gone we still led. We lost. Thorn should have been given the bullet after that.
For me it was Forest away - we were horrendous and Baker was hauled off at half time.

deffo should have gone after that

Grendel

Mcsheffery also got 9 but I think two were in the cup

Users who are viewing this thread