No FA cup replays (1 Viewer)

Otis

Madness, what about the small clubs playing for a replay away at a big ground?

I'm sure that the top 4 will still be able to go to Dubai and America for friendlies.
And what about the reverse. Getting a really famous away draw at say Goodison Park or Anfield or Old Trafford and then bringing them back to your tight, pokey little ground with really basic changing rooms

Terry Gibson's perm

Good you don’t have them in the important games at the end why bother at the beginning.

Offhegoes

Remember when BBC and ITV had pre match coverage from 9am.
it was a national event, whether you liked football or not.
Now it’s one of 2 cup competitions . Oh, you get to play at Wembley. Even if you’re semi finalists. Game will kick off at 5.20pm just so the EPL games are all done with.
The embarrassing big up of the FA Cup by the BBC doesn’t help.
Give the FA Cup winners, Champions League qualification guaranteed.
that would be interesting…..

oscillatewildly

I'm amazed they still do the football bit at all. I don't think we're far away from the balls being drawn from the bag for each tie then a coin tossed to decide the winner - Work through the rounds, bit of a build up for the semi's then just crack on to the final.
It should still be televised of course because that's a tradition associated with the competition.

ccfc1234

Appeasement of elites with too much power, at the expense of the rest (of the pyramid) sad really. Surely the solution is they play their u21s and take their chances with the talent they have used their vast riches to acquire, often from the lower leagues.

MalcSB

I'm amazed they still do the football bit at all. I don't think we're far away from the balls being drawn from the bag for each tie then a coin tossed to decide the winner - Work through the rounds, bit of a build up for the semi's then just crack on to the final.
It should still be televised of course because that's a tradition associated with the competition.
And they could move some coin tosses, say for local derbies, to a Friday evening at short notice to retain authenticity.

ccfc1234

The competition is dead anyway. Even championship teams don’t take it seriously. Last seasons final didn’t even sellout. I loved it in the 80s & 90s but it’s pointless now.
If that is your view it's a shame. There has been many shocks in front of sell out crowds that will live long in the memory and folklaw of clubs. No other football competition has the potential to do that.

Some of the fans of the super elite clubs do take it less seriously, especially with the cost of living and semi finals of champions league games to attend etc. But for clubs like us a good cup run is a route to prize money that could make big difference to our summer spending power. The EFL cup in that respect is slightly different.

Brighton Sky Blue

The competition is dead anyway. Even championship teams don’t take it seriously. Last seasons final didn’t even sellout. I loved it in the 80s & 90s but it’s pointless now.
Yes I’m sure if by some miracle we made the final we wouldn’t sell out.

Semi finals shouldn’t be at Wembley in any case

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I mean we say the big 4/6 clubs - but Robins hasn’t took a cup game seriously in years.

remember when we got beat by Birmingham in our league one winning we had annoying replays all the way through

skybluejelly

Although I don't agree with it ..it might be better for the smaller clubs ..as we know if it goes to the lottery of penalties..it's all down to pot luck

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Ccfcisparks

Could you not combine the Caraboa and FA Cup and the winner gets one of the extra places we are being allocated for the Champions League, runner up Europa/Conference league?

Would incentivise it for most teams then.

CV22SBA

Yes I’m sure if by some miracle we made the final we wouldn’t sell out.

Semi finals shouldn’t be at Wembley in any case
Of course we would but we're one of the clubs not to take it seriously. Play the first team against Wrexham and we proceed to the next round.

More than half championship teams were knocked out in the third round last season.

ccfctommy

Everyone moans about this and the 'trashing of the FA Cup' and our third round game vs Bristol rovers at home will get 10k tops.

Same around the board. It's not what it once was.

Terry Gibson's perm

I hope Wrexham get St Trinians and get beaten in a really boring game. I wonder who Man Utd will play on the tv this year are they still on their long tv run.

fernandopartridge

Everyone moans about this and the 'trashing of the FA Cup' and our third round game vs Bristol rovers at home will get 10k tops.

Same around the board. It's not what it once was.

TBF in 87 the gate against lower league Bolton was 12k which I assume had a couple of thousand Bolton in.

rob9872

Competition was ruined the year Man Utd chose to play tye World club Cup instead.

ccfctommy

TBF in 87 the gate against lower league Bolton was 12k which I assume had a couple of thousand Bolton in.
Maybe so but those were different times. It would be great for the competition for teams like Newcastle, Spurs or even Everton to win it, but sadly the league prioritised that much that the FA Cup is an unwelcome distraction.

Gynnsthetonic

I'm sure there was more than than that, it was freezing and I was standing on the Kop, the Bolton end was packed their fans were being ejected every few minutes, most were pissed as farts

fernandopartridge

Could you not combine the Caraboa and FA Cup and the winner gets one of the extra places we are being allocated for the Champions League, runner up Europa/Conference league?

Would incentivise it for most teams then.
No no no no no

The problem starts from making everything subservient to the Champions League

The opposite needs to be done, one qualifier for the Champions League only and that's the league winner

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Give the FA Cup winners, Champions League qualification guaranteed.
that would be interesting…..

And the losing finalists in the Conference league.

Users who are viewing this thread