No Ambition (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

The worst thing about today is the club have shown a lack of ambition. All similar size clubs that have been successful after dropping to this level (like Norwich & Southampton) have kept their best players and built their teams around them. The Maddison deal shows we are clearly happy to be a league one club, or at a push lower championship.

I genuinely thought we'd turned a corner this year. Looks like I was mistaken.

There is little point in comparing our time in League 1 to that of Southampton and Norwich; they had a lot of money. While we are a tenant to a franchise rugby club in a stadium, this is going to happen.

Senior Vick from Alicante

If we get to the championship next season who says he won't be back on loan next year. Norwich will want to progress him and that's the place to do it. Unproven at a higher level and only 20 games played in the league means whether we like it or not it's good business. Judge it at the end of the season if we gain promotion we will be in a better position to hold onto players but at the moment we are still a selling club.

Grendel

There is little point in comparing our time in League 1 to that of Southampton and Norwich; they had a lot of money. While we are a tenant to a franchise rugby club in a stadium, this is going to happen.

Also Southampton sold their youngsters and also sold there best players have got into the premier league top 4.

In league one they also had a billionaire owner and a near £30 million wage bill in the championship - still they sold their youngsters.

lifeskyblue

I think it shows Madders wanted away at any cost. I could understand any player wanting to join Liverpool or Spurs. Clearly they didn't come in for him. But to opt for Norwich...I'm sure an OK club but with ambition to just stay in PL ...I just don't get it. Does Madders in his heart feel he is not good enough for the very top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

Walsall and Gillingham manage to hold onto their prize assets, we're getting triple the gates of those clubs and sell ours.

We've held on to our prize asset - he's still here.

lifeskyblue

Club and player show lack of ambition. Did we want to keep him? Did he want to stay? For £5m to a top 6 side it would be good for us and Madders. Anything less and to a yoyo club shows we would sell anyone and Madders thought we were going nowhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

Mowbray is going to be absolutely fuming, if he still stands by his last comments on Maddison. A well respected manager like him will know if theres any future for us with our current regime and like Robins did, he may be looking elsewhere.

I seem to remember Robins aiming his displeasure at the council, not the board.

shmmeee

I remember the same anger being shown when a young Bigi left for Newcastle. Whatever happened to him?

I remember everyone saying £3m for Wilson was a good deal or the two packets of crisps we got for Turner.

Swings and roundabouts.

Sick Boy

We cashed in early as we weren't prepared to offer him higher wages (ambition) or prepared to let him play more games show the rest of the football world his ability, wanted the cash now just in case he didn't live up to his potential, rather than more money in the summer, a gamble in SiSU's mind.

Season over.

Hahaha

Get a grip.

The Lurker

Also Southampton sold their youngsters and also sold there best players have got into the premier league top 4.

In league one they also had a billionaire owner and a near £30 million wage bill in the championship - still they sold their youngsters.

Remind me how much saints got for there players? And how much we've got? Wilson before injury being touted for 20 mill. Maddison will be a 10 million player when he leaves Norwich

ecky

Well done seppala another cock up! Take the early money and run
No ambition whatsoever!!
Say we get into the championship sist? What's your plan? You should of waited until the end of the season before deciding Maddison's future, if we'd gone up he might have stayed
You've shown your true colours again sisu and you have now shown us the direction you want to take the club-down

eastwoodsdustman

ON the contrary. The club have shown total ambition to get promoted this season. Using the money straight away where we need it to bolster the squad to go up.

Grendel

Remind me how much saints got for there players? And how much we've got? Wilson before injury being touted for 20 mill. Maddison will be a 10 million player when he leaves Norwich

Remind me who bought those players. Players at least 5 times better than Maddison.

mark82

ON the contrary. The club have shown total ambition to get promoted this season. Using the money straight away where we need it to bolster the squad to go up.

They haven't used it though have they? There was still budget available for the 2 defenders. We need to go and sign some quality free agents now to make this the right move. There were plenty of players released from the above 2 divisions yesterday.

NorthernWisdom

I think it shows Madders wanted away at any cost. I could understand any player wanting to join Liverpool or Spurs. Clearly they didn't come in for him. But to opt for Norwich...I'm sure an OK club but with ambition to just stay in PL ...I just don't get it. Does Madders in his heart feel he is not good enough for the very top?

If he plays and does well for Norwich he can have his pick of teams... as opposed to playing in someone's reserves, then signing for Hull on loan.

henry the wasp

Really? 2 weeks ago Tm was in the telegraph saying he'd been promised extra funds for loans for a promotion push. Now you are saying we had to sell the lad to strengthen, to go up?

matesx

Reality check.

Maddison is over rated!

Lightweight fairy.

Been crap lately, no influence on games at all.

You'd think we'd just sold the next Messi ffs.

covcity4life

Reality check.

Maddison is over rated!

Lightweight fairy.

Been crap lately, no influence on games at all.

You'd think we'd just sold the next Messi ffs.

won us the pen vs burton, its that game changing magic we will miss like vs chesterfield and port vale

Hobo

Well done seppala another cock up! Take the early money and run
No ambition whatsoever!!
Say we get into the championship sist? What's your plan? You should of waited until the end of the season before deciding Maddison's future, if we'd gone up he might have stayed
You've shown your true colours again sisu and you have now shown us the direction you want to take the club-down

Maddison sold, which everyone expected. He is still with us until May for our promotion challenge. Two defenders have come in on loan to bolster the defence, which everyone said was need. Fleck is still here when people said he would be gone. Sounds like we can still challenge to me?

Having seen the other deals made in this window, who have we missed out on?

Burton and Gillingham have lost players.

Promotion is still on.

matesx

we are stronger squad today than we were yesterday IMO

Norwich papers reporting £2.5m + add ons

covboy1987

The worst thing about today is the club have shown a lack of ambition. All similar size clubs that have been successful after dropping to this level (like Norwich & Southampton) have kept their best players and built their teams around them. The Maddison deal shows we are clearly happy to be a league one club, or at a push lower championship.

I genuinely thought we'd turned a corner this year. Looks like I was mistaken.
agree

henry the wasp

Maddison sold, which everyone expected. He is still with us until May for our promotion challenge. Two defenders have come in on loan to bolster the defence, which everyone said was need. Fleck is still here when people said he would be gone. Sounds like we can still challenge to me?

Having seen the other deals made in this window, who have we missed out on?

Burton and Gillingham have lost players.

Promotion is still on.

Who did Gillingham lose?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
not sure this is about ambition........ more about the realities of short term finance. In my opinion we are running on a shoestring and there is no more funding coming from the owners to do it. In that case cash out cannot equate to more than cash in. Only player in squad likely to draw in significant funds

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread