Nick Powell and Elite Player Performance Plan (1 Viewer)

Gaz

This Elite Player Performance Plan is only going to keep the gap as big and maybe even make it more between the top clubs and the bottom ones.

Would see a lot more movement up and down the leagues if big clubs couldn't just grab the good youth players like they do.

stupot07

Its a con IMO, and one that favours the big teams. I remember seeing the west ham and Watford academy director's on sky sports at the time, and they were saying that it doesn't matter how fancy your training ground it, it's about the quality of the work on the big green thing that counts, and that the big clubs don't have the monopoly on quality coaching.

Thought the EPP Arsenal could've poached Oxlade-Chamberlain for about £100k, same with Newcastle and Bigi.

It was quite telling that not long ago, when Capello was still in charge over half of the England squad had started in the football league.

Disorganised1

The clubs that don't have a youth policy voted in favour of the change - it gave them money now.

Disorganised1

Basically it puts a price on any youth player according to age - so if he's 17 say, unless you can start a bidding war between clubs they can buy him for £100,000. There are a couple of caveats to prevent explotation - ie Chelsea buying every player in the country who'se under 17, but damn all really. It's by the big boys, for the big boys.

tanchahal

Basically it puts a price on any youth player according to age - so if he's 17 say, unless you can start a bidding war between clubs they can buy him for £100,000. There are a couple of caveats to prevent explotation - ie Chelsea buying every player in the country who'se under 17, but damn all really. It's by the big boys, for the big boys.

The governing bodies of football have gone insane

SkyBlueJohnso

so anyone that shows a bit of promise in an academy risks being snapped up by one of the big boys for 100k??
y
our academy had a great season last year and i'm sure there'll be a few clubs/scouts watching them, but £100k for a talented & promising 17 year old is a bit of a joke after a club have brought him through their ranks for a few years.

stupot07

so anyone that shows a bit of promise in an academy risks being snapped up by one of the big boys for 100k??
y
our academy had a great season last year and i'm sure there'll be a few clubs/scouts watching them, but £100k for a talented & promising 17 year old is a bit of a joke after a club have brought him through their ranks for a few years.

That's the thing Karl. Clubs will only pay for the cost of coaching a player has received by a club during his time there, not what a player is worth or may be worth. This is based on a formula.

SkyBlueJohnso

That's the thing Karl. Clubs will only pay for the cost of coaching a player has received by a club during his time there, not what a player is worth or may be worth. This is based on a formula.

so could that not work both ways then for the lower clubs??? a promising youngster at man utd for example, realistically no chance of getting into their 1st team, but wants to play regular football, good enough for championship level with potential for mid-low table premiership club, a championship club comes in for him and only has to pay £100k ???

stupot07

Oh and a category A academy can visit any academy to look at its players training with 48 hours notice.

stupot07

so could that not work both ways then for the lower clubs??? a promising youngster at man utd for example, realistically no chance of getting into their 1st team, but wants to play regular football, good enough for championship level with potential for mid-low table premiership club, a championship club comes in for him and only has to pay £100k ???

Not sure, that fixed formula is for players under 17, so Liverpool would have probably just bought Thomas instead of taking him on loan. I would think most big clubs will keep most of their youngsters until 20-21 (e.g Olly Norwood) so we'd have to pay what they want for them.

I fear that scouts will come in and sign the most promising youngster, so kids like Thomas, bigi, Christie, etc would already have been poached and at better clubs.

SkyBlueJohnso

Not sure, that fixed formula is for players under 17, so Liverpool would have probably just bought Thomas instead of taking him on loan. I would think most big clubs will keep most of their youngsters until 20-21 (e.g Olly Norwood) so we'd have to pay what they want for them.

I fear that scouts will come in and sign the most promising youngster, so kids like Thomas, bigi, Christie, etc would already have been poached and at better clubs.

so it seems anyone with decent chances of making it in the Prem will be snapped up by the big clubs, they'll be prepared to let their 'poorer' players leave and still get £100k for them, and the gap between top clubs and the rest gets wider and wider!!!

unless there is some protection or clauses for future payments based on performance, games played, achievements, international call ups etc i can see this killing academies off altogether. What's the point of spending 5-6 years developing a player for someone to come in and take him off you for 100k?

Jenks

so it seems anyone with decent chances of making it in the Prem will be snapped up by the big clubs, they'll be prepared to let their 'poorer' players leave and still get £100k for them, and the gap between top clubs and the rest gets wider and wider!!!

unless there is some protection or clauses for future payments based on performance, games played, achievements, international call ups etc i can see this killing academies off altogether. What's the point of spending 5-6 years developing a player for someone to come in and take him off you for 100k?

There are, and they're fairly substantial.

pg69performer.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread