Next years GK (1 Viewer)

skybluebeduff

Why next year? Why not this coming season that starts this year???!!!

:whistle:

Paddy9239

Personally think Lee Burge is one of the worst goalkeepers i've seen in a long time - inspires no confidence at all in his back four - you could tell from so many incidents last year.

If he wasn't a 'cov kid' he'd have been hounded out ages ago.

Desperately need a better keeper

Grendel

There seems to be some kind of hang up re being the local lad??? I couldn't give a shit where he's from, the fact is I know what I saw at home especially in the last 10 games of the season and to blame Burge purely for our goals conceded is laughable.

We talk about wanting to see a team fight for promotion this season well then if we are honest none of our defenders are fit for that inc Stokes who lets remember came from Forest Green and in moments last year he played at that level.

The argument makes no sense.

You sneer at a player from Forest Geeen but prefer one whose previous experience was at Nuneaton over someone who played in the championship.

mrbluesky87

The argument makes no sense.

You sneer at a player from Forest Geeen but prefer one whose previous experience was at Nuneaton over someone who played in the championship.

Nice try Grendel. If you read my posts above actually I was making the point that you cannot blame Burge and not Stokes, they were both as bad as each other yet we have a scenario where we want Burge gone but Stokes staying is a good move. My suggestion is you either get rid of both including Martin who is just as bad or keep both and hope both will come good one day.

Actually it would be typical of this club to get rid of Burge on half a seasons performance given the shit he put up with and destroy all self belief he had. He is by no means the finished article but could be a useful understudy at the moment.

Grendel

Nice try Grendel. If you read my posts above actually I was making the point that you cannot blame Burge and not Stokes, they were both as bad as each other yet we have a scenario where we want Burge gone but Stokes staying is a good move. My suggestion is you either get rid of both including Martin who is just as bad or keep both and hope both will come good one day.

Actually it would be typical of this club to get rid of Burge on half a seasons performance given the shit he put up with and destroy all self belief he had. He is by no means the finished article but could be a useful understudy at the moment.

I disagree. Without stokes we would have had to play Haynes and I believe would have struggled to survive.

Haynes was poor all season and seemed to live off a 20 minute spell at gillingham.

It seems Mowbray agreed with my assessment also.

Grendel

He did.

It does however seem that he disagreed with your assessment that Burge wasn't worthy of a first team place.

Well - there wasn't anyone with any first team experience to choose from.

A loan deal for Declan Rudd would be incredible. Wages wouldnt be too steep. Had a great spell with Preston not long ago. Sam Slocombe has been released by Scunthorpe so another option there. Maybe Chris Kirkland if he turns down Sheffield Wednesday's contract offer

Grendel

Burge isn't the problem. Simple.

Putting a single word as a sentence does not conclude the debate. Burge is a poor keeper - to even consider he should be first choice is a non starter.

Sick Boy

The only thing worse than using "simple" at the end of a sentence is those morons who have started saying "period" as well.

PTA

The only thing worse than using "simple" at the end of a sentence is those morons who have started saying "period" as well.
I used 'simple' as its own sentence. Not at the end of one. You're the moron. Period.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Burge improved over the course of the season, but I don't think he has the quality we need if we want to be serious title contenders.

Come the end of the season if he goes on to prove me wrong, id happily admit I was wrong.

But I would be much more comfortable going into the season knowing we had A N Other in goal, ideally a more experienced older head, but not Steve Harper experience, hes probably too 'experienced', AKA old.

mark82

Putting a single word as a sentence does not conclude the debate. Burge is a poor keeper - to even consider he should be first choice is a non starter.

I think the problem is he's not ready. He may turn out to be a decent keeper but needs time to develop, maybe a season at league 2 level. He may turn out to be the best man this year but I wouldn't want to go into the season with him as the only option. Would like Amos or a keeper with experience at this level or higher as competition.

skyblue025

Burge was poor during his first few games. He did improve the more games he played. I would love Murphy or Kirkland to come back but think it unlikely due to wages.

I don't think it would be a disaster if we started with Burge. He is still learning and has improved so no reason why he shouldn't continue to improve given playing time.

I haven't read all previous posts but just reading the PL released player list, I saw that Ben Amos of Man Utd has been released. Might be worth a look at never having a regular first teamer & a chance to play for a team on the rise!

torchomatic

Burge did improve but I would still rather have more experience with him as back-up.

rupert_bear

Certain we will be buying a goalie of some sort, but Burge is not a exactly a kid, 23 next birthday i bet Jim Blythe or Les Sealey had 150 games in the bag by the and in the top flight. He improved enough for me to be given the job to start with could always loan someone in if it is needed

Last edited:

ericagradus

Mark Bunn has confirmed on his twitter account that he has a medical on Monday and subject to the medical will be signing for the club. He has ruled out the Northampton return. Please let this be us! I have not seen him linked to any clubs of late, but on twitter, the Sheff Utd fans are all over the thread

ericagradus

Mark Bunn has confirmed on his twitter account that he has a medical on Monday and subject to the medical will be signing for the club. He has ruled out the Northampton return. Please let this be us! I have not seen him linked to any clubs of late, but on twitter, the Sheff Utd fans are all over the thread

Looks like Reading

ericagradus

I wish we would make some movement in the window for a keeper.

Looks like Amos is off to Bolton and Bunn to Bristol City

Astute

I wish we would make some movement in the window for a keeper.

Looks like Amos is off to Bolton and Bunn to Bristol City

Both clubs above us so not a target realistically missed there.

Terry Gibson's perm

Good news is Ryan Alsopp has signed a deal to be fourth choice at Bournemouth.

Terry Gibson's perm

Bizarre one that is, especially given they've signed two others on perm deals (rather than the loan they had Boruc on last year).

Obviously another young player who's happy to not even get near the bench?

I always thought that third choice keeper was a good role as you just train and never play so fourth choice must be great, seems a total waste of wages to me having four goalkeepers surely he won't even be named in the squad

lifeskyblue

4th choice keeper role = doing up laces of other 3 after they have put the big gloves on, holding towels after shower, making tea and wearing mascot outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread