Next Seasons Confirmed Squad/Transfer Rumours (2 Viewers)

AStonesThrow

Coventry City - Squad 2019/2020

Makes for a rather depressing read, but Robins has got some work to do over the summer. The link shows the confirmed members of the squad for next season, very sparse and presents a whole new challenge. Granted, we could be keeping players whose contracts are set to expire or loanees staying on, but even so, there's a lot of work to be done there. The fact we have no confirmed goalkeepers is a worry if nothing else.

As it stands, out of the confirmed players next season, with an outfield player in goal, we couldn't even field a full matchday squad including subs.

Has anyone heard of any feasible transfer rumours/links for the summer aside from the obvious Bright etc?

AFCCOVENTRY

The new Scottish star central defender has signed to join us in summer from Ayr United. Forgot his name.

Club will also activate the extra year for Tom Davies.

skybluegod

Not even close to our full squad.

Defenders:
Mason
McCallum
Thompson
Williams
Davies
Hyam
Rose
Drysdale

Shipley
Bayliss
Kelly
Westbrooke
Wakefield
Jones

Hiwula
Baka
Chaplin
Biamou
Ponti(not sure)

We need:
Two keepers
Two right backs
Two wingers
Cm
And a striker

Bright and Thomas are rumoured to be resigning.

samccov1987

To be fair watching that game Baka and Thomas need another year on nico playing fields.

Pitch was terrible but Stockdale in goal and a proper target man and I think we’d be challenging for top two given the teams coming down.

Willis is a good defender and deserves the chance to play higher but Davis looked solid enough although not sure who the option rests with.

Skyblue_CP

I'd like to see Shrewsburys Grant next to Kelly next year, solid holding midfielder that can get forward. Rated him at Vale aswell

shmmeee

Repost from strength in depth thread:

AFAIK it currently stands at:

GK: Addai (option)

RB: Hickman

LB: Brown, Mason, McCallum

CB: Davies, Rose, Hyam, Drysdale, Williams, Thompson, Ford (option)

CM: Kelly, Bayliss, Shipley, Westbrooke, Maycock

RW: Jones, Wakefield

AM: Chaplin, Ngandu, Burroughs

LW: Hiwula, Alassani, Walters

ST: Baka, Biamou, Bremang, Ponticelli

That’s not including any new deals or academy grads.

From that I’d sign (funds allowing):

Experienced GK
Young GK x 2
RB x 2
Experienced CM
RW
AM

Release all the options and Maycock. Edit: changed Davies.

Last edited:

nmp2327

Not alot wrong with this squad, however we need to spend wisely.

2 key positions need recruiting experienced Goalkeeper(s) and an experienced Forward who can bring the youngsters on. I wonder if Luton will want Collins in the Championship?

ccfcway

keeper, right back and CF. a loan right winger and it will be a great start.

jones and biamou will be like 2 new signings if they can regain fitness

Terry Gibson's perm

Clear all three keepers out and bring in two as it proved with stockdale this year it’s easy to get an emergency loan.

A big nasty central midfielder would be nice and a winger that actually cross it plus two new right backs

Reactions: vow

johnwillomagic

Bit ridiculous to even think about this at this stage - players will come and go and squad will look a lot different for start of the season
than that squad attached!

cc84cov

2 keepers
2 right backs
1 centre mid
1 proper striker/centre forward

Keep Thomas & Bright

If we could get a fee back for Baka & Chaplin I would snap their hands off to reinvest.Jayden Stockley at Preston 3 in 11 not playing as regular as he was at Exeter maybe if we could manage the fee & wages.

shmmeee

Really think a striker isn’t needed. We have three 1 in 3 strikers. To move up to a 1 in 2 would likely cost us our entire budget. Money would be better spent at the other end of the pitch.

Reactions: vow

SBAndy

Had a flick through the players whose contracts are expiring throughout the leagues and picked some names out that may be worth a look:

Mark Bunn - GK (Aston Villa)
Frank Fielding - GK (Bristol City)
Andre Green* - RW (Aston Villa)

Tom Eaves - ST (Gillingham)
Curtis Nelson - CB (Oxford)
Luke Berry - CM/AM (Luton)
Jordan Clark - RW (Accrington)

Hiram Boateng* - CM (Exeter)
Chuks Aneke - AM (MK Dons)
Jacob Mellis - CM (Mansfield)
Lawrence Vigouroux - GK (Swindon)
Joss Labadie - CM (Newport)
Christy Pym* - GK (Exeter)
Sammie Szmodics* - AM (Colchester)

The * denotes players who would likely command a tribunal fee.

skybluegod

Had a flick through the players whose contracts are expiring throughout the leagues and picked some names out that may be worth a look:

Green hasn't been offered a contract and doesn't look likely to be at the moment. Would take him

Pym is 24 so we wouldn't owe compensation. Would take him

Boateng would be a great signing, but would depend on how much we would have to pay.

Clark could be a shout.

Wouldn't take either of Bunn or Fielding.

ceetee

Like Thomas might be a possibility after that tweet.

Heard a rumour about Stockdale coming as player/GK coach.
I did wonder yesterday whether a combination of Oggy's and Burge's wages would be enough for Stockdale, although there are other GKs

ceetee

Apart from GK my priority would be midfielders who can move the ball from defence to the strikers without losing it or giving it away. I know that's what mids are supposed to do.............

Deity

I think Davies made it clear yesterday on CWR that unless Robins see’s him as a first team starter next season he will seek a move himself this summer.

The contract extension trigger simply protects City’s position, it’s not a guarantee that Davies will be a city player next season.

fernandopartridge

You can see from what Davies says that he's looking at his own experience and that of his mate Jack Grimmer, cautious about the contract extension.

RoboCCFC90

I would sign Boateng and Pym, both of which wouldn't command a fee from Exeter.

I like Szmodics and Eaves, but it appears that we are playing a certain way would Tom Eaves fit in with that style? I'm not sure, Szmodics is a very good player, 24 goals over the last two season is a good return, but is enough to take us to the next level, again I'm not sure.

Great_Expectations

The foundations of the squad are absolutely fine, we don’t need a complete overhaul, plus I’m sure 1/2 of the U23’s will surprise us and feature more next year (Burroughs? Williams? Hickman?).

I’m not sure why we need two RB’s, one first choice with a youngster supporting should be fine. Sterling has been ever present this season, so his replacement plus Hickman should be fine.

It’s unanimous we need an experienced keeper this season. I’d spend a fair bit of the budget (O’Brien, Burge and Addai’s wages) on finding one. Then either pick up a high potential youngster or an experienced player keeper/coach.

If Willis doesn’t sign, then we’ll miss his pace but Williams seemed to have pace so could be a longer term replacement. If Davies goes, then we probably need another CB (they’ll be loads), although if Rose is first team ready potentially not.

I’d sign two wingers, as Hiwula isn’t an out and out winger and that’s assuming Thomas is going back. If he stays I’d still sign another. We have Jones, but not sure he’s going to be the player a lot of people think he is, and that’s before the injury.

Striker wise, unfortunately I’m not sure what Chaplin offers. Accepting all the arguments (first season starting games, away from home, young etc), I struggle to see his strengths. This isn’t another McNulty (and to a lesser extend Hiwula) situation where the potential was clearly there. Bakayoko is very hit and miss, and isn’t a striker to lead the line. Although I think he can offer something. If one becomes available that will significantly enhance our team then we should, if not then we trust what we have. Biamou will be back too and is a better fit for the lone striker role, he’s a great link player.

The striker situation also depends on who plays 10, I’d keep Bright for all his frustrations as he’s a game changer. If not, we need to recruit.

Two minds over another CM, Kelly is a stand out and I like Shipley in there, plus we have Bayliss and Westbrooke too. Granted it’s very inexperienced.

Overall, RB, two wingers (Thomas dependant) and a keeper are definites, CM, CB and striker are dependent on what’s available and what happens to our existing squad.

skybluegod

The foundations of the squad are absolutely fine, we don’t need a complete overhaul, plus I’m sure 1/2 of the U23’s will surprise us and feature more next year (Burroughs? Williams? Hickman?).

I’m not sure why we need two RB’s, one first choice with a youngster supporting should be fine. Sterling has been ever present this season, so his replacement plus Hickman should be fine.

It’s unanimous we need an experienced keeper this season. I’d spend a fair bit of the budget (O’Brien, Burge and Addai’s wages) on finding one. Then either pick up a high potential youngster or an experienced player keeper/coach.

If Willis doesn’t sign, then we’ll miss his pace but Williams seemed to have pace so could be a longer term replacement. If Davies goes, then we probably need another CB (they’ll be loads), although if Rose is first team ready potentially not.

I’d sign two wingers, as Hiwula isn’t an out and out winger and that’s assuming Thomas is going back. If he stays I’d still sign another. We have Jones, but not sure he’s going to be the player a lot of people think he is, and that’s before the injury.

Striker wise, unfortunately I’m not sure what Chaplin offers. Accepting all the arguments (first season starting games, away from home, young etc), I struggle to see his strengths. This isn’t another McNulty (and to a lesser extend Hiwula) situation where the potential was clearly there. Bakayoko is very hit and miss, and isn’t a striker to lead the line. Although I think he can offer something. If one becomes available that will significantly enhance our team then we should, if not then we trust what we have. Biamou will be back too and is a better fit for the lone striker role, he’s a great link player.

The striker situation also depends on who plays 10, I’d keep Bright for all his frustrations as he’s a game changer. If not, we need to recruit.

Two minds over another CM, Kelly is a stand out and I like Shipley in there, plus we have Bayliss and Westbrooke too. Granted it’s very inexperienced.

Overall, RB, two wingers (Thomas dependant) and a keeper are definites, CM, CB and striker are dependent on what’s available and what happens to our existing squad.

Hickman, is hardly shining at Hereford and that's 3 levels below us. He's also not particularly highly rated. He is ok, but would not be happy with him as second choice RB. We do need two.

So do you drop Hiwula? Or move him up top? If so, I don't think he can play the Lone striker role as when he has this season he has been woefully lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread