Next season (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

Some people on here a few weeks back were verging on following this approach with our own situation and manager especially in the “I’ll say it ..” thread.

What I am confused about is the conundrum and questioning of:

Is this squad not good enough so MR is overachieving with them?

Is this squad about good enough to be in their current position and therefore MR is doing about par for the course?

Or this squad is full of talent and MR is underachieving with them all and we should be winning more games than we are?

Which one is it??

Personally, I think it’s neither, we’ve always been a top half side this season. Thankfully, we’re on a bit of a run and a few teams around us are struggling for form, so playoffs is now a possibility.

The section of fans expecting us to get playoffs as a minimum requirement on the back of a promotion are a little bit deluded. For me, we’ve always been a good, young talented outfit throughout this season, but we need a few players in a few positions in order to really compete.

The comparisons between this season and Mowbray’s first full season is a bit flawed. We have a lot more key players under contract (Bayliss and Kelly) and I’d stick my neck and say our bench is stronger this year and we have a lot of talent in our U23s. To get out of this league, we’ll probably need 1-3 really solid loan players anyway.

pusbccfc

Personally, I think it’s neither, we’ve always been a top half side this season. Thankfully, we’re on a bit of a run and a few teams around us are struggling for form, so playoffs is now a possibility.

The section of fans expecting us to get playoffs as a minimum requirement on the back of a promotion are a little bit deluded. For me, we’ve always been a good, young talented outfit throughout this season, but we need a few players in a few positions in order to really compete.

The comparisons between this season and Mowbray’s first full season is a bit flawed. We have a lot more key players under contract (Bayliss and Kelly) and I’d stick my neck and say our bench is stronger this year and we have a lot of talent in our U23s. To get out of this league, we’ll probably need 1-3 really solid loan players anyway.

There is very little reason why we shouldn't make the play offs. This is a poor league. Some of the teams we've lost to have been shocking.

Covstu

The table never lies, we are where we are for a reason, if we get 6th it would be an overachievement in my opinion. Not consistent to get any higher but equally it doesn’t mean that we cannot get a team fit for the championship

shmmeee

Fair comment! The point I was poorly making is that we aren’t any better than that!

Just being a pedantic twat. I got what you meant.

I really don’t think there’s a massive talent gap in this league aside from one or two sides. Most of it is down to luck and momentum IMO. So many teams bounce around the league positions season to season at this level. In that respect this was a special season because were coming off the back of promotion (and the checkatrade to an extent), so I think it’s fair for us to “overachieve” this year.

Mucca Mad Boys

There is very little reason why we shouldn't make the play offs. This is a poor league. Some of the teams we've lost to have been shocking.

We’re 4 points off playoffs, so we could still make the playoffs.

Next season, we ought to really push for the playoffs and I’ll judge Robins accordingly next season. Given the context of losing McNulty, and us being a newly promoted team, I’m pretty happy with where we’re at as a team.

higgs

We’re 4 points off playoffs, so we could still make the playoffs.

Next season, we ought to really push for the playoffs and I’ll judge Robins accordingly next season. Given the context of losing McNulty, and us being a newly promoted team, I’m pretty happy with where we’re at as a team.
If we loaned mcnulty in January we would be in the playoffs now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Covstu

Just being a pedantic twat. I got what you meant.

I really don’t think there’s a massive talent gap in this league aside from one or two sides. Most of it is down to luck and momentum IMO. So many teams bounce around the league positions season to season at this level. In that respect this was a special season because were coming off the back of promotion (and the checkatrade to an extent), so I think it’s fair for us to “overachieve” this year.
I just think people still think we pissed league 2, we didn’t! On our day we can beat anyone, at Wembley you just knew we were not going to lose and we have equipped ourselves well for league 1 even with some questionable buys that left as quickly as they joined. The jump from league 1 to champ is massivewhich would require massive investment to even stay in that league. I think despite the usual people foaming at the mouth when SISU are mentioned but they have given MR the tools to compete in each league.

Terry_dactyl

I just think people still think we pissed league 2, we didn’t! On our day we can beat anyone, at Wembley you just knew we were not going to lose and we have equipped ourselves well for league 1 even with some questionable buys that left as quickly as they joined. The jump from league 1 to champ is massivewhich would require massive investment to even stay in that league. I think despite the usual people foaming at the mouth when SISU are mentioned but they have given MR the tools to compete in each league.
This might be controversial but in terms of running the football team - that is investing in players/the academy/supporting the manager/engaging with the community/running the club if you like - they’ve not done a bad job over the last couple of years.

Mucca Mad Boys

If we loaned mcnulty in January we would be in the playoffs now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well, we didn’t and he probably wanted to play in Scotland.

Good luck to him, and I’m glad to see he’s doing well for Hibs.

Mucca Mad Boys

This might be controversial but in terms of running the football team - that is investing in players/the academy/supporting the manager/engaging with the community/running the club if you like - they’ve not done a bad job over the last couple of years.

Robins has been someone SISU have consistently backed, even in his first spell. I sympathise with Pressley because he had to deal with admin and cutting the budget. Mowbray was backed a bit, and I think a combination of his poor recruitment and slashing the budget put us in a position where we’d be relegated from L1.

It seems like our owners trust Robins a lot, and for me, this is important because actually means he gets investment.

Brighton Sky Blue

Robins has been someone SISU have consistently backed, even in his first spell. I sympathise with Pressley because he had to deal with admin and cutting the budget. Mowbray was backed a bit, and I think a combination of his poor recruitment and slashing the budget put us in a position where we’d be relegated from L1.

It seems like our owners trust Robins a lot, and for me, this is important because actually means he gets investment.

You do get that what we spend is dictated by our turnover right?

shmmeee

It’s true. Since Boddy came in the PR side has been much better, the academy is ticking along nicely. In the last few years we’ve been competitive without betting the house, just the bloody intransigence getting the club settled somewhere. If it wasn’t for the ground situation (and the general hedge fundiness) they’d be alright owners right now. Not sure if that makes up for the first few years that got us here, but it’s a welcome change.

Mucca Mad Boys

Not really, it’s just down to offloading lots of players in 17/18 and fees from McNulty/Maddison.

We got £3m for Wilson and another £1m for Clarke under Pressley, and nothing was really put back into the team. The trends seem to be that when there's a chance of success, our investment goes up, likewise, the board cuts the budget and sells players when our season is going badly. I could be drawing wrong conclusions, but the board certainly seems to trust Robins.

Terry_dactyl

Yeah, I’ve never been a nopm fan (I think it’s an over simplification of our plight) and went to Northampton a couple of times but I get the hate.
However, assuming we’re all ok for next season...what if new owners did come in and changed everything up? Interesting. Like you say Take the ‘off field’ shenanigans out the equation and I’m not too unhappy with our lot.

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s true. Since Boddy came in the PR side has been much better, the academy is ticking along nicely. In the last few years we’ve been competitive without betting the house, just the bloody intransigence getting the club settled somewhere. If it wasn’t for the ground situation (and the general hedge fundiness) they’d be alright owners right now. Not sure if that makes up for the first few years that got us here, but it’s a welcome change.

Well it doesn’t because they found us in the Championship.

Brighton Sky Blue

Quite. I think it’d take us being back in the Chmpionship with reasonable finances and a secure home to say they’ve left us better than they found us. We’re a long way off that.

It's the massive damage to the club's reputation that bothers me most

Users who are viewing this thread