Next season (1 Viewer)

rob9872

I'm not writing this season off already, we'll have a January window and always finish the season stronger, so have a punchers chance. However, the reason we finish strong imo is down to great coaching but unfortunately once we've massively improved that raw talent, they return to their parent clubs. This time lots are on the books and will return to us, a year older, more experienced, better coached, settled in, less transition, know the players, know the system and what's expected of them, ready to go and challenge.

I'm sure there'll be hiccups along the way, but I'm looking forward to watching players develop this season, a couple of quality additions Jan and next summer and already excited for 12 months time.

I can't remember when we've had the luxury to plan more than a few games ahead. I really hope fans and owners don't get twitchy after last seasons heroics if we fall short of that this season. Stick together and I genuinely believe we'll have a great shot but perhaps temper expectations in the short term.

Last edited:

skyblue025

Well let's hope we don't sell our best players at the end of the season or its back to square 1. I can understand it this season but sooner or later you have to take the gamble and say it's going to be our year, keep the stsrs and go for it.

rob9872

Last season we only had 2 stars and needed to sell to improve as we always have done, hopefully next year if we lose 1 or 2 them from a pool of 5 or 6 'stars' and more permanents on the books then even if it does happen it will be less to replace. We also have a number of key players on 3 & 4 year deals so can't be held to ransom on wanting to leave so readily.

Grendel

Mmmmm

Im Late On My Way GIF by Travis

Flying Fokker

I'm not writing this season off already, we'll have a January window and always finish the season stronger, so have a punchers chance. However, the reason we finish strong imo is down to great coaching but unfortunately once we've massively improved that raw talent, they return to their parent clubs. This time lots are on the books and will return to us, a year older, more experienced, better coached, settled in, less transition, know the players, know the system and what's expected of them, ready to go and challenge.

I'm sure they'll be hiccups along the way, but I'm looking forward to watching players develop this season, a couple of quality additions Jan and next summer and already excited for 12 months time.

I can't remember when we've had the luxury to plan more than a few games ahead. I really hope fans and owners don't get twitchy after last seasons heroics if we fall short of that this season. Stick together and I genuinely believe we'll have a great shot but perhaps temper expectations in the short term.
We finish the season stronger most years. But I think there are a few cases during the Ricoh seasons where we tailed off dramatically. If we finish this season the same as last, then we are in for a treat.

The Premier Card season ticket is a fair marker for what the owner/manager et Al expect. This is the start of incremental improvements. I’m impressed so far this season. The games have been a bit daft but the play has been entertaining and WIP. during the early games.

Edit: And the atmosphere on Saturday was good as well. Better being in a partisan crowd without the drone of moaners when the football is dire.

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

Well let's hope we don't sell our best players at the end of the season or its back to square 1. I can understand it this season but sooner or later you have to take the gamble and say it's going to be our year, keep the stsrs and go for it.
The stars wanted a higher level league. 1 got it, the other enjoys the sunshine in a poor top league.
We have players on 4 year contracts who are also young. I’m thinking they will be moved on if we haven’t got in the prem in 2 years.

napolimp

Robins will have told the incoming players it's a project, and ensured they want to be here long term. Of course if we have players whose value dramatically sky rockets, it will still be a case of sell and reinvest. We're only going to get stronger.

AOM

Posted similar in another thread about expectations for this season, but I'd be honestly happy with a top half finish this season, with a view to progress next year.
We've had a pretty major squad rebuild bringing in younger players with a view of further development and lost our two best players from last year, so I'm seeing this season as a work in progress

Flying Fokker

Posted similar in another thread about expectations for this season, but I'd be honestly happy with a top half finish this season, with a view to progress next year.
We've had a pretty major squad rebuild bringing in younger players with a view of further development and lost our two best players from last year, so I'm seeing this season as a work in progress
That’s a low benchmark. Robin’s will want the same level as this season. Our position was ahead of the plan last year. There would be a fair argument for Robins to want our league position to be similar to last season.

Macca1987

I would agree with you FF if we hadn't had so many new players to gel together, happy with a top ten this season ready for a big push next season. However would be ecstatic for a top 6 this season if it did happen

AOM

That’s a low benchmark. Robin’s will want the same level as this season. Our position was ahead of the plan last year. There would be a fair argument for Robins to want our league position to be similar to last season.

Oh yeah, I think the teams aim should be as high as we possibly can achieve. Just think a top half/10 finish would be acceptable for this season, but I'd be expecting a play off challenge the following

rob9872

2 years ago when we were challenging in top 4 for 1st few months
We were never serious contenders, we'd played more games than most for the early part as opposed to last season where the reverse was true. The squad wasnt at all great imo and again key injuries, I think 12th was really good. For comparison after 23 games we were 10th and had lost 7. In the final 23 games we lost 9 and ended up 12th. Not a huge drop off and that was the season where early on we kept coming from behind to get a result. Showed great character more than anything else imo and another trait of Robins' sides here.

BlueSkiesForever

Absolutely agree, even if we finish bottom half we all have to get behind Robins and the team and realise it’s a long term project. We still need a better midfield and that may cost us a top 6 finish this season but that’s something that can be fixed in time.
I think Doug’s approach of trying to finish top 6 a few times over the next 5 years and hoping one of those leads to promotion is a sound idea, at least we know he’s planning for the future and not just for one season as we have done in the past.

skyblue025

Robins will have told the incoming players it's a project, and ensured they want to be here long term. Of course if we have players whose value dramatically sky rockets, it will still be a case of sell and reinvest. We're only going to get stronger.
We have a stronger squad but a weaker team than last year. Time will tell if they can get to the level of last year's team.

Boicey

It’s also interesting to think about where Doug is going to make money out of the player squad in the next few years.
Who will be developed to be a real sellable money spinner?
Quite a few young players bought in but at quite a high price.
I guess the answer is they have to be good enough to be bought by a premiership club. That’s where the money is.

Users who are viewing this thread