Next season (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2477

Lots and probably not.

GK and two CBS and a LWB is a must. Need a big strong striker and an AM/Winger or two depending on how Jones comes back.

Doable with loans but we’d need to spend to get the really good ones, looks like you need to spend upwards of £1m per player and £10k/week wages, if we’re going to be the next fish up the chain from where we were in L1, we need to be buying the types of players we were selling: Wilson, Maddison, McCallum, Bayliss, Chaplin. All went for £1-3m up front plus add ons.

So I’d say to do it properly you’re looking at £10m+ investment in fees and a wage budget of at least £15m/season. And I can’t see Sisu providing either of those.

Best we can hope for is same again: a couple of signings around £1m, a couple of cheap gambles, the odd free, a full compliment of loans.

Taking the same fees as last summer:

£1.3m on Hamer -> GK
£900k on Walker -> CB
£600k on Sheaf -> LWB
£0 on O’Hare -> CM (James)
Cheap gambles (Hilßner, Dacosta) -> AM, CB
Loans -> AM, ST, CB, others
Spot on and I would realistically be happy with another avoid relegation season so we can continue to build

stupot07

We will likely have to sell one of Hamer or O'Hare to create some budget.

We need to decide on how we want to play going forwards. I'm not convinced by 3 at the back in this league, our wingbacks don't get forward enough for me, I'd like to get some wingers in with pace and go more 433 or 4231 next season. We need to look at what the top half teams are doing and learn from them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

We will likely have to sell one of Hamer or O'Hare to create some budget.

Not sure I agree with that bit - I thought you could only spend a % of player sales. Given likely low player values, why undo part of what has strengthened us this season. Our income will be bigger next season, being back at The Ricoh; shrewd loans, out of contract players, plus moving on Baka etc would be my way forward (without knowing the financials)

Magwitch1

He is only 18 (19 next month). Hope he makes it, but it would be daft to rely on a lad of that age nailing down that position for the season. The other lad Newton is promising too, but again - very inexperienced.
We have relied on Sam McCallum for two seasons still only twenty backed up by Ryan Giles similar age for a year, Josh Reid similar age has played a number of games in the Scottish premier league so let’s give him a fair chance I’m hoping we can pull safe in the next three games so we can give him two or three games this season.

Terry Gibson's perm

Having seen both play I think Newton probably edges it but suspect Reid will be put ahead of him. Not sure either yet have the physical attributes to be ready for the Championship, but both are young and have time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sam return again next season, he’s not premier league standard at this time and so would assume Norwich will want him out again.

Norwich will want McCallum at the top of the league next year.

Magwitch1

I think there are a number from our young U/23 talent ready to seriously knock our first team squad door. Josh Eccles, Declan Drysdale, Will Bapaga, Josh Reid, the new lad Ricardo Denanga from Cork and the yet unknown entity Fabio Tavares plus one or two others I’m upbeat for next season, need to sign some experience definitely a goal scorer, goalkeeper, a left sided CB and Leo Østigård.
I think we can do okay next season.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

I think there are a number from our young U/23 talent ready to seriously knock our first team squad door. Josh Eccles, Declan Drysdale, Will Bapaga, Josh Reid, the new lad Ricardo Denanga from Cork and the yet unknown entity Fabio Tavares plus one or two others I’m upbeat for next season, need to sign some experience definitely a goal scorer, goalkeeper, a left sided CB and Leo Østigård.
I think we can do okay next season.

Hope some kick on, but a couple of those are optimistic for next season. Tavares, especially - wasn't a regular for Rochdale. and Denanga (from the 'highlights' video looks another wildcard punt (which I know we have to take every now and then). Drysdale will be useful as cover and the others will hopefully step up.

stupot07

Not sure I agree with that bit - I thought you could only spend a % of player sales. Given likely low player values, why undo part of what has strengthened us this season. Our income will be bigger next season, being back at The Ricoh; shrewd loans, out of contract players, plus moving on Baka etc would be my way forward (without knowing the financials)

They are the rules in league one and two. They are different in the championship, its based on losses, you can make a max loss of £13m per season, and losses are assessed over 3 seasons, so you can make up to £39m losses over 3 seasons.

Re: selling Hamer or O'Hare, it all depends on how much you get offered.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

They are the rules in league one and two. They are different in the championship, its based on losses, you can make a max loss of £13m per season, and losses are assessed over 3 seasons, so you can make up to £39m losses over 3 seasons.

So we can bid £15m for Osti, £15m for De Gea, Walsh on a free and save the rest for the January transfer window. Good news!

Magwitch1

So we can bid £15m for Osti, £15m for De Gea, Walsh on a free and save the rest for the January transfer window. Good news!
What it could mean we could afford better quality loans which would cost higher wages, a bit like Villa did when they borrowed Abrahams, his goals no doubt won them promotion.

higgs

Is Walsh injured again or just not making the squad?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Is Walsh injured again or just not making the squad?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Injured I think - although nothing serious iirc, although given the time out, it's a bit worrying. Interesting to see which clubs are likely to take a risk on him given the last 12 months.

Hobo

He is only 18 (19 next month). Hope he makes it, but it would be daft to rely on a lad of that age nailing down that position for the season. The other lad Newton is promising too, but again - very inexperienced.

I agree. I think next year Reid will be trying to get on the bench and a few minutes from there. If he manages more it would be superb progress.

Hobo

I would look at goalkeeper, lwb, centre back, attacking mid to challenge O'Hare and striker to back up/ challenge Godden and Walker.

Users who are viewing this thread