Next season (Championship) (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Setting aside which division we are going to be in next season (Championship, obviously!), I was reading an article - Bristol City connected - talking about Championship budgets for next season. Forgetting those relegated from the PL. the author was referring to one of the sides in the top 6 play off places already having set next season's summer transfer budget at £1m, and was suggesting that was likely to be at the higher end of clubs within the division. Obviously a result of the impact of the pandemic on clubs' finances. The reporter stated that Bristol City were soon to release 'awful' financial figures, a lot of their squad are out of contract, and players (generally) have a very low resale value (as clubs can't afford to buy). Interesting times ahead, and a club - like Bristol City - on a downward slide, may be one team that is likely to be suffering next season. Suspect others will be the same - Blackburn, maybe? It will certainly be a different market to usual. Again, may be a good season for clubs coming up from League 1? Sunderland - if they can do it - in particular, with their 20+ year old billionaire?

Colin Steins Smile

The financial disparity between clubs in the Championship is huge and inflated by the parachute payments for clubs relegated from the PL.
I noted that the Sunderland owner recently stated that he could spend circa £60M if they got promoted, which given the track record of that club seems a strange statement.
If we are to keep building on recent seasons, it's vital we stay up.
Whilst our cost base is one of the lowest in the championship, which is helpful.....our income streams are also one of the lowest, which makes it imperative that we sell all the 8k season tickets ASAP and hopefully, attract another 2k+ ST sales before August.
I understand that some supporters are hesitant about committing to ST's, due to Covid, the possibility of redundancies post furlough, etc. but the sooner the club secures Championship status and can bank on 10-12k ST holders, then they can adjust their recruitment plans.

Sky Blue Harry H

10-12k STs would seriously impress me.

If and when we confirm we are staying up, I would expect/hope any additional ST expansion beyond 8k to include a short extension of Early Bird offer to entice purchases. If so we might edge towards 10k. Fingers crossed.

AOM

If and when we confirm we are staying up, I would expect/hope any additional ST expansion beyond 8k to include a short extension of Early Bird offer to entice purchases. If so we might edge towards 10k. Fingers crossed.

I know a few people who are also waiting to see what next season will look like lockdown-wise too.
I.e. if there will be an initial cap on attendance and if so, how long, etc

clint van damme

Setting aside which division we are going to be in next season (Championship, obviously!), I was reading an article - Bristol City connected - talking about Championship budgets for next season. Forgetting those relegated from the PL. the author was referring to one of the sides in the top 6 play off places already having set next season's summer transfer budget at £1m, and was suggesting that was likely to be at the higher end of clubs within the division. Obviously a result of the impact of the pandemic on clubs' finances. The reporter stated that Bristol City were soon to release 'awful' financial figures, a lot of their squad are out of contract, and players (generally) have a very low resale value (as clubs can't afford to buy). Interesting times ahead, and a club - like Bristol City - on a downward slide, may be one team that is likely to be suffering next season. Suspect others will be the same - Blackburn, maybe? It will certainly be a different market to usual. Again, may be a good season for clubs coming up from League 1? Sunderland - if they can do it - in particular, with their 20+ year old billionaire?

According to some on here budgets are irrelevant.

Magwitch1

Reading are currently spending 105% of their income on wages and other running costs are on top and they ain’t alone that can’t go on and I don’t think it will be allowed to, in the summer I reckon there will be a lot of change.

Sky Blue Harry H

Players out of contract will be in high demand, especially with clubs having limited budgets. There is also a move for L1 and L2 clubs to have their squads limited to 20 players (from 25) which will lead to a few players squeezed into lower levels (the PFA are naturally fighting this). Strange times ahead.

Sky Blue Pete

Players out of contract will be in high demand, especially with clubs having limited budgets. There is also a move for L1 and L2 clubs to have their squads limited to 20 players (from 25) which will lead to a few players squeezed into lower levels (the PFA are naturally fighting this). Strange times ahead.
Fighting it from an over use and injury stance which I think is appropriate.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’ve long thought there should just be an absolute spending cap and it’s up to the clubs what they do with that.

Sky Blue Pete

There’s got to be a solution. I quite like 25 player cap. 20 is too few. The balance between clubs that have a higher turnover and the percentage that can be spent on wages seems more sensible that an outright cap. That too is open to abuse. I think the efl need to professionalise as does the fa. Need some new Jimmy hills willing to try new things for the good of the many not just the top 6

Mcbean

See Derby have found a chancer to buy their club - guess this one might go through as no dodgy Arabs in the deal

Brighton Sky Blue

There’s got to be a solution. I quite like 25 player cap. 20 is too few. The balance between clubs that have a higher turnover and the percentage that can be spent on wages seems more sensible that an outright cap. That too is open to abuse. I think the efl need to professionalise as does the fa. Need some new Jimmy hills willing to try new things for the good of the many not just the top 6

My view on that is it then gets subverted by shenanigans like clubs 'selling' their grounds to artificially inflate the budget.

shmmeee

It’s a game and supposed to be entertaining, and I think everyone accepts that means a relatively level playing field.

I’d be happy with a much tighter absolute cap rather than a percentage. Too many loopholes and dodgy dealings that anything else means the status quo.

It also stops one or two clubs skewing the market. Problem is if only you’ve got a cap the best players will just go elsewhere, like tax it needs to be set internationally these days really. And I can’t see that happening.

Sky Blue Harry H

See Derby have found a chancer to buy their club - guess this one might go through as no dodgy Arabs in the deal

No - but (unless my info is wrong) he has some very dodgy right wing political views/links

chiefdave

It’s a game and supposed to be entertaining, and I think everyone accepts that means a relatively level playing field.

I’d be happy with a much tighter absolute cap rather than a percentage. Too many loopholes and dodgy dealings that anything else means the status quo.

It also stops one or two clubs skewing the market. Problem is if only you’ve got a cap the best players will just go elsewhere, like tax it needs to be set internationally these days really. And I can’t see that happening.
I find as the lack of parity increases my interest in the sport overall decreases. Used to consume as much football as I could. Now I watch maybe one or two PL games a week (and that's because I visit my parents on Sundays and stick it on for my Dad), can't remember the last Champions League game I watched and watch England more out of a feeling of obligation than any enjoyment.

What's the endgame here? I don't see the fun in just trying to avoid relegation every season but without someone being prepared to chuck away tens of millions the chance of progress is slim. And even if we did find that person and got into the Premier League what then, try and keep the likes of Man City from hitting double figures when we get annihilated by them?

I watch a lot of ice hockey and you can of course still have good and bad owners but a cap, along with a floor (ie: a minimum mouth that has to be spent every season), generally means you're somewhere on the cycle of rebuild with a young team > improving > play offs > challenging for the cup > declining > blow it up ahead of a rebuild. You know that you're never more than a few years away from your team having a genuine chance of success.

Liquid Gold

I find as the lack of parity increases my interest in the sport overall decreases. Used to consume as much football as I could. Now I watch maybe one or two PL games a week (and that's because I visit my parents on Sundays and stick it on for my Dad), can't remember the last Champions League game I watched and watch England more out of a feeling of obligation than any enjoyment.

What's the endgame here? I don't see the fun in just trying to avoid relegation every season but without someone being prepared to chuck away tens of millions the chance of progress is slim. And even if we did find that person and got into the Premier League what then, try and keep the likes of Man City from hitting double figures when we get annihilated by them?

I watch a lot of ice hockey and you can of course still have good and bad owners but a cap, along with a floor (ie: a minimum mouth that has to be spent every season), generally means you're somewhere on the cycle of rebuild with a young team > improving > play offs > challenging for the cup > declining > blow it up ahead of a rebuild. You know that you're never more than a few years away from your team having a genuine chance of success.
I’m the same as you. Don’t think I’ve watched a PL game or match of the day once this season. Much prefer NFL these days.

Still watch England games but without city and the emotional attachment and ritual of going to games I think I’d have chucked football in.

Users who are viewing this thread