New Zealand Shootings (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

What a surprise. Again...

I suspect it's more because it happened in Sri Lanka and not a major Western nation. Mass killings happen across the world every month but it needs to take hundreds to make the news unless it's close to home or in a more 'civilised' country. Maybe the coverage of the terrorist acts in France over the years, or the days of coverage on Notre Dame burning, should tell you it isn't some anti-Christian bias. Just pro-Western bias

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I suspect it's more because it happened in Sri Lanka and not a major Western nation. Mass killings happen across the world every month but it needs to take hundreds to make the news unless it's close to home or in a more 'civilised' country. Maybe the coverage of the terrorist acts in France over the years, or the days of coverage on Notre Dame burning, should tell you it isn't some anti-Christian bias. Just pro-Western bias

I think that's one excuse too many to be honest.

5 times the amount of people have been killed. 5 times less the coverage.

'Easter Worshippers' being the pick of the bunch here. Pretty pathetic.

Westendlad

I would comment but norman, crappa etc...are sitting there waiting to jump on and call everyone a racist for even reading this thread....

Brighton Sky Blue

Look at the articles now coming through on the British casualties. All on the Westerners who have died and none on the hundreds of Sri Lankans. Western countries focus on Western tragedies. It isn’t some pro Islam conspiracy-just look at the coverage for attacks on the West or its people. Tunisian hotel shootings for example

Macca

Terrible massacre and there does seem to be a different take when it’s christians who are murdered

I'd describe myself as agnostic Pete but as an observation I would agree. In fact there is a real anti Christian sentiment that runs through not just its obvious enemies but the general public as well. I've heard it openly mocked in the workplace with terms like "bible basher" freely used in a way that people would be petrified to do in respect of another religion.
It's seen as old fashioned and outdated ( maybe to some it is) whereas as Islam is like the new kid on the block. People seem genuinely intoxicated by it and ironically women in particular. The NZ primeminister practically converted after the awful events there and couldn't wait to don the scarf much to the annoyance of many moderate Muslims. She offered a fairly bland statement after Sri Lanka. Both my kids education has filled them in far in excess around Islam than any other major religion and the constant "education" from BBC programmes in one form or another is embarrassing.

It's bizarre once you start noticing it.

My view as a current non believer? All brands of religion have the same general concept, belief in a higher power. We treat them all the same, either respect and protect them all or we don't. Pushing or promoting one whilst mocking another isn't really playing the game

Sky Blue Pete

I'd describe myself as agnostic Pete but as an observation I would agree. In fact there is a real anti Christian sentiment that runs through not just its obvious enemies but the general public as well. I've heard it openly mocked in the workplace with terms like "bible basher" freely used in a way that people would be petrified to do in respect of another religion.
It's seen as old fashioned and outdated ( maybe to some it is) whereas as Islam is like the new kid on the block. People seem genuinely intoxicated by it and ironically women in particular. The NZ primeminister practically converted after the awful events there and couldn't wait to don the scarf much to the annoyance of many moderate Muslims. She offered a fairly bland statement after Sri Lanka. Both my kids education has filled them in far in excess around Islam than any other major religion and the constant "education" from BBC programmes in one form or another is embarrassing.

My view as a current non believer? All brands of religion have the same general concept, belief in a higher power. We treat them all the same, either respect and protect them all or we don't. Pushing or promoting one whilst mocking another isn't really playing the game
I don’t feel the persecution as I don’t struggle to laugh at myself but I think that’s right. You respect and protect the right of everyone to hold opinions and beliefs or you protect none. That’s hardcore grown up society. Real danger when those beliefs practically endanger society but fundamentally civilisation is about respect and a common human bond that values life

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Starting to fizzle out already.

Saw a post earlier on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Posted 14 tweets about New Zealand. Not a single one about Sri Lanka.

Double standards massively all over the place, shame some can't admit it, or dare I say even strongly try to deny it.

Grappa

Saw a post earlier on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Posted 14 tweets about New Zealand. Not a single one about Sri Lanka.

Double standards massively all over the place, shame some can't admit it, or dare I say even strongly try to deny it.
On what metric is it 'fizzling out'? Top online story at bbc and the guardian still.

ccfctommy

This.

Remember everyone on Facebook turning their pictures into the French flag that time?

Brighton Sky Blue

She is the leader of NZ, why would she put out a bigger show of grief for an event elsewhere? There is no conspiracy

Brighton Sky Blue

Now we’re resorting to AOC tweets as a barometer of pro Islam bias?

clint van damme

it was the lead on the ten o'clock news.
First TV I'd watched about it as I've been busy though I'd read about it. Spoke to a couple of locals but mainly focused on the western victims. Two fellas had lost their missus and kids, absolutely horrific.
Some truly chilling footage of one of the suicide bombers walking in to the church, little girl passes by him on the way in and he pats her on the head, don't know why I found that gesture so disturbing.

This won't be the end of it and for Islamists to claim it's revenge for New Zealand is absolute bollocks. They reckon it could be returnees from Syria so with the caliphate gone I'm expecting more of these incidents. What a fucking world.

Nick

Administrator
it was the lead on the ten o'clock news.
First TV I'd watched about it as I've been busy though I'd read about it. Spoke to a couple of locals but mainly focused on the western victims. Two fellas had lost their missus and kids, absolutely horrific.
Some truly chilling footage of one of the suicide bombers walking in to the church, little girl passes by him on the way in and he pats her on the head, don't know why I found that gesture so disturbing.

This won't be the end of it and for Islamists to claim it's revenge for New Zealand is absolute bollocks. They reckon it could be returnees from Syria so with the caliphate gone I'm expecting more of these incidents. What a fucking world.

Yeah, I saw that too and it was horrible how calm they were.

Could never imagine what would be running through their heads knowing they are about to kill hundreds of people and die themselves and to be that cool to just pat her on the head as if it was a normal day was spinechilling.

Brighton Sky Blue

Why are you so keen to argue against?

The reaction has clearly been different right down to the terminology used.

Because the arguments that there is some anti-Christian bias are absurd. We had 3 days of endless coverage on the Notre Dame fire just last week. The bias is Western, not Islamic. Check coverage on:

Charlie Hebdo
Tunisian hotel shootings
Bataclan massacre
Lorry driving attacks in France and Germany
Orlando shootings

I could go on. You’re drawing completely the wrong conclusion.

ajsccfc

The little stories of these kinds of thing stay with me most. The fella calmly queueing at a breakfast buffet before setting off his vest is the kind of chilling detail I can't comprehend, the sheer coldness of people to do this.

Nick

Administrator
The little stories of these kinds of thing stay with me most. The fella calmly queueing at a breakfast buffet before setting off his vest is the kind of chilling detail I can't comprehend, the sheer coldness of people to do this.

Yeah, I always assumed they would have to be off their heads on drugs to kill themselves like that. It's the same as at the Ariana Grande concert as well.

Heard that one went in and set the bomb off in the hotel and another waited for people to come running out to do another one (the same as the concert).

It's how calm they are at knowing they will die in a couple of minutes as well.

ajsccfc

To be able to bring yourself not only to do it but to believe murdering innocent people is some kind of noble act too, I'll never be able to fathom it.

Nick

Administrator
To be able to bring yourself not only to do it but to believe murdering innocent people is some kind of noble act too, I'll never be able to fathom it.

They think they are going to be banging virgins for the rest of their days for doing it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Because the arguments that there is some anti-Christian bias are absurd. We had 3 days of endless coverage on the Notre Dame fire just last week. The bias is Western, not Islamic. Check coverage on:

Charlie Hebdo
Tunisian hotel shootings
Bataclan massacre
Lorry driving attacks in France and Germany
Orlando shootings

I could go on. You’re drawing completely the wrong conclusion.

You could go on, but you're missing my point. I'm not saying it's just the coverage, it's the actual reaction too.

I've seen so much 'we can't let 'islamaphoboa' take over'. Which is the same whether Islam is the perpetrator of the victim. Half of the people actually tweeting about it can't even bring themself to say the word Christian either.

Brighton Sky Blue

You could go on, but you're missing my point. I'm not saying it's just the coverage, it's the actual reaction too.

I've seen so much 'we can't let 'islamaphoboa' take over'. Which is the same whether Islam is the perpetrator of the victim. Half of the people actually tweeting about it can't even bring themself to say the word Christian either.

On the other end of the spectrum Sky kept denying that the Orlando shootings were a hate crime against the LGBT community. You seem to really want there to be a pro-Islam bias when none exists. After the Manchester bomb there was weeks of condemnation of the attacker. The same as there is for any major incident in a Western country but not when a bomb goes off in Somalia or Syria or Yemen. Mass killings in these countries go unreported unless hundreds are killed at once and even then tends to only be if Westerners have died too.

Sky Blue Pete

Yep that’s right. Completely agree

Users who are viewing this thread