New Year's Day - 5 points outside the play-offs (1 Viewer)

Otis

We would all have taken that wouldn't we?

Played well today for the most part and it was just one of those days. We clearly should have won that match this afternoon.

Not much gloom and doom from me today. We had 20+ shots on goal and on another day would have got at least 3 or 4 goals.

5 points from the play-offs is a great position to be and considering we were 4th from bottom only 11 games ago that is something we should all grasp as being something very, very positive.

coundonskyblue

Depends from when you were talking. After losing to Shrewsbury away then yes I would have took it.

If you mean from the summer then no, I would have been disappointed we were outside the playoffs.

covcity4life

Ya but some teams have games in hand

Its gutting because we missed s fucking open goal, we had no luck whatsoever

Let's hope this loss sparks off another unbeaton run like scunny loss did

ccfc92

Depends from when you were talking. After losing to Shrewsbury away then yes I would have took it.

If you mean from the summer then no, I would have been disappointed we were outside the playoffs.

also, on the back of a 10 game unbeaten run to lose to Shrewsbury, surely you wouldnt accept it?

Sutty

The frustration is we've won at MK Dons, Doncaster, Stevenage, etc. but the home games against Shrewsbury, Portsmouth, Bury, Scunthorpe have all been disappointments.

If we could just beat the teams we should beat at home imagine where we'd be.

I've been happy with the run of form, but it's tempered with a sense of what could have been.

skybluejess

It was a frustrating game, but it's how we bounce back that matters. It was inevitable that at one point we were going to slip up. Shrewsbury were well organised and hard to break down. I'm more than happy with our league position, considering where we were 3 months ago.

Otis

Not talking about start of the season.

Talking about coming from 4th from bottom.

People also said they thought come Jan we could have a chance of the play-offs. Well, here we are.

Just saying we should all be happy shouldn't we? Today was just one of those days. Overall I thought we played pretty well and at times very well indeed.

We should have won, but didn't. Just saying we should be very happy to be where we are right now. New Year's Day, just 5 points outside the play-offs.

Forget about pre-season. I'm talking about from where we were and coming from 4th from bottom, to where we are now.

covmark

to stand a chance of promotion we need to be beating these sort of teams at home, and its not the first time its happened

Brighton Sky Blue

Linnell pissed me off when he said we should be very proud of the display-we have thrown so many points away and messed up very winnable games. We should be comfortably in the top 6, not missing open goals.

Otis

We played well though, apart from defensively on a few occasions.

Had Sheff's two had gone in (underside of the bar and from that back pass) and we had won everyone would have said it was a very good performance.

The goals just didn't go in for us today. I know we should beat these teams, but every side has games like this occasionally. Doesn't matter if it's us, Man U or Barcelona. Happens to every team.

No use beating ourselves up over it.

Play this game again now and it would have probably have ended up 4-2 to us. I am quite heartened to be honest. Play like that every week and we are going to win a hell of a lot of games.

if we were 5 points from safety today id be worried.

5 points from playoffs today and im looking forward to the rest of the season.

PUSB

shoesmith81

A Blip

We had a ton of chances today. Another day it could have been a very different score line.

I remember under Thorn and Bothroyd we were all complaining of a lack of chances.

I think we are in a good position. There is still a lot of points to play for!

In regards to the home form a lot of teams in this division have better away records than home form.

Keep the faith guys!

Otis

Exactly!!

Look at the big picture. First defeat for 2 months! Over 20 shots on goal. One off the underside of the bar, one cleared off the line.

We know if play like that again we will surely win.

WillieStanley

Even Man United lose to weaker teams off the back 9f a great run. I can't see where all this frustration is coming from. After what we've been through recently, 1 loss from 11 is amazing! Its not ideal that it came to an end with Shrewsbury but that's life! The wheels haven't come off, we've just signed a great striker and we've got the best manager in the football league! :D

Otis

Well said that man.

I have come home from that match not too disappointed, cos I know if we play like that every week we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

BurbageSkyBlues

We needed to win today, but didn't. These things happen in football, pick ourselves up and learn from it - they sat very deep first half, organised well at the back, and we squandered a couple of chances early on, with tame efforts (baker and DMG), unfortunately. It may have been a touch of complacency, as we probably expected lots more to come our way. A fine line between self belief and over-confidence.

Second half, they came a bit more forward, and we should have scored on many occasions, but somehow it did not quite fall or us. As Otis says, disappointing but not downheartening, lets get up and get on it again.

Think MR may have been out thought, tactically, today. Turnip was quite clever, set up for a smash and grab, and they had a few other chances too. We will learn, hoperfully....

SkyBlue_Bear83

We played well though, apart from defensively on a few occasions.

Had Sheff's two had gone in (underside of the bar and from that back pass) and we had won everyone would have said it was a very good performance.

The goals just didn't go in for us today. I know we should beat these teams, but every side has games like this occasionally. Doesn't matter if it's us, Man U or Barcelona. Happens to every team.

No use beating ourselves up over it.

Play this game again now and it would have probably have ended up 4-2 to us. I am quite heartened to be honest. Play like that every week and we are going to win a hell of a lot of games.

No we won't, you do know that was Shrewsburys first away win of the season? We need to be better at home, no questions about that, we didn't really start getting chance until they scored. Inevitably they were getting nervous as they haven't won away and sitting deeper which allowed us to have a couple of chances nearer the end

It isn't a blip at home is it, at home the blip appears to be the 5-1 win against Walsall

Were Portsmouth, Scunthorpe, Preston all blips as well then? It isn't a blip if it keeps happening

Otis

We didn't lose to Portsmouth and Preston.

And we only started getting chances after they scored? You sure about that? We had some great chances in the first half. And also the 2nd, before they scored.

Grendel

And we only started getting chances after they scored? You sure about that? We had some great chances in the first half. And also the 2nd, before they scored.

We did have chances but Shrewsbury also had a lot of chances and murphy was easy as busy as their keeper.

Overall the team has done well to be where it is. A lot of the squad is poor and needs moving on. I think we will do well to get near the play offs.

Next season is the acid test.

We will not get promoted with this home form.

sky_blue_up_north

One of those days today. We could have played till midnight and not scored. One result does not change the way we have been playing. I still fancy the double, JPT Winners and the play offs.

dongonzalos

We would all have taken that wouldn't we?

Played well today for the most part and it was just one of those days. We clearly should have won that match this afternoon.

Not much gloom and doom from me today. We had 20+ shots on goal and on another day would have got at least 3 or 4 goals.

5 points from the play-offs is a great position to be and considering we were 4th from bottom only 11 games ago that is something we should all grasp as being something very, very positive.

Start of August I expected top 2, would have settled with top 6.
By mid September I thought mid table.
By September 20th I thought top six again.

So today I am happy

SkyBlue_Bear83

They were still games people expected us to win and we disappointed

We had a few chances but so did Shrewsbury, they had probably the best two chances of the first half where Murphy got injured and another in a similar position where it went wide

Our best chance was the one missed by Mcsheff which was a terrible mistake by the Shrewsbury defence, Baker also had a good chance which he screwed wide left footed

After they scored we had a number of shots which just went wide or over from Adams and Baker, we had a couple of nearly moments where we were too slow to get the shot away, we had one cleared off the line, there keeper made a great double save from Sheff and then the follow up by Clarke

Sure we had a few chances before they scored but so did Shrewsbury, our best spell of pressure came after the goal when Shrews were getting nervous because of there away record

My point is this isn't about it being a bad day at the office or luck against us, this is us not being able to play at home and it needs to be sorted. We shouldn't just sweep this under the carpet and put it down to bad luck

Otis

They were still games people expected us to win and we disappointed

We had a few chances but so did Shrewsbury, they had probably the best two chances of the first half where Murphy got injured and another in a similar position where it went wide

Our best chance was the one missed by Mcsheff which was a terrible mistake by the Shrewsbury defence, Baker also had a good chance which he screwed wide left footed

After they scored we had a number of shots which just went wide or over from Adams and Baker, we had a couple of nearly moments where we were too slow to get the shot away, we had one cleared off the line, there keeper made a great double save from Sheff and then the follow up by Clarke

Sure we had a few chances before they scored but so did Shrewsbury, our best spell of pressure came after the goal when Shrews were getting nervous because of there away record

My point is this isn't about it being a bad day at the office or luck against us, this is us not being able to play at home and it needs to be sorted. We shouldn't just sweep this under the carpet and put it down to bad luck

DMC had a very good chance after 20 seconds. And what about Baker's shot that he hit straight at the keeper in the first half from just outside the 6 yard box? also Adams' from that one two into the 6 yard box.

I thought Shrewsbury looked dangerous intermittently. We looked dangerous all game.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

DMC had avery good chance after 20 seconds. And what about Baker's shot that he hit straight at the keeper in the first half from just outside the 6 yard box?
The two Shrewsbury chances in the first half were better than those two.

Baker should have done better but it was harder than it looked, the cross was behind him so he had to check his run and take a few steps away from the goal to get to it, if it had been in front he could have continued the forward momentum and smashed it in right footed

Otis

And I am putting it down to luck. Many other home games we haven't been good enough.

Today we were. More than good enough to win the game by at least 2 clear goals.

Users who are viewing this thread