New Training Ground Update (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

NEWS: Sky Blues plans for new training ground heard by Inspector examining Rugby Local Plan - News - Coventry City

New facility in the Rugby Borough Council area, but yet to be named (or have planning submitted)

Well. That certainly sounds interesting and a step forward. Unlike the mythical new stadium it actually sounds like there is a genuine plan that fans can get behind as it can help the club move forward. No complaints from be at this moment in time but unfortunate history tells me to be cautious.

I’ll watch with interest how this unfolds.

Irish Sky Blue

Surely the new facility would have to be built before they leave Ryton. The sale of Ryton with say an “interim” move to join the academy at the Higgs Centre until the new training ground is built would certainly sound alarm bells.

skybluetony176

Does the Brandon Speedway site come under Rugby?

It does but from what I’ve read on motor racing forums the current owners won’t sell until they have planning for housing when they’ll make a sizeable fortune. Apparently they’ve already been offered more than double what they paid for it and turned it down if rumours are true. If.

ccfcway

wasn't the plan to have the new training and academy facilities as part of the new ground ?

shmmeee

Good to see something concrete for the future, even if it is probably to release Ryton for housing and isn’t a stadium.

stay_up_skyblues

Forgive my ignorance, this is a genuine question and not designed to dig at the owners whom (for the first time in a long time) I'm indifferent about based solely on this season. But what is the benefit of developing/purchasing a new training ground other than a large amount of money being paid to the owners by a housing developer? Is Ryton that bad? It looked more than adequate for a league 1/mid table Championship team when I went up to watch training, albeit that was 20 odd years ago as a child.

Is this not just a case of recuperating something against an almighty loss by the owners? I'm a bit concerned the only tangible asset (aside from players) is being sold off.

Happy (and hopeful) to be proven wrong on this one.

ceetee

Forgive my ignorance, this is a genuine question and not designed to dig at the owners whom (for the first time in a long time) I'm indifferent about based solely on this season. But what is the benefit of developing/purchasing a new training ground other than a large amount of money being paid to the owners by a housing developer? Is Ryton that bad? It looked more than adequate for a league 1/mid table Championship team when I went up to watch training, albeit that was 20 odd years ago as a child.

Is this not just a case of recuperating something against an almighty loss by the owners? I'm a bit concerned the only tangible asset (aside from players) is being sold off.

If the club get a better facility out of it I can't be fussed if the difference goes to the owners.
If the owners take all the money and the club ends up sharing a rented facility that's another story.
Incidentally, I read in one ot the reports about Accrington Stanley that they don't have a training facility. They must have access to some facilty but I don't know the details

Sky Blue Harry H

Boooooo! - Council lover...........only joking! Could be right?!

stay_up_skyblues

If the club get a better facility out of it I can't be fussed if the difference goes to the owners.
If the owners take all the money and the club ends up sharing a rented facility that's another story.
Incidentally, I read in one ot the reports about Accrington Stanley that they don't have a training facility. They must have access to some facilty but I don't know the details

Are you confident that's the plan though? I'll give the owners the benefit of the doubt for this season, it's been enjoyable and we have a chance, but when Ryton is gone we are literally a squad of players in terms of assets and a golden share in the league. The golden share is worth not a lot if we don't get up and/or go out of the league all together in the next year or two. Based on recent history that is a distinct possibility too.

Then again, Ryton is probably not technically owned by the club so it's probably a moot point anyway.

ceetee

I'm not confident of anything which is why I said "If"

If the owners choose to wind up the club and cash in their charge on Ryton that's another story and again another "If" but there's no point in speculating.
The fact that the club are saying that they are going to use the proceeds of a sale of Ryton to fund another and better training facility has to be good news but, of course, the owners could go back on that, The owners could do lots of things but we have to live in the here and now.

Skyblueweeman

To be fair to Ceetee, I’ve been to a few training grounds, including EPL teams, and Ryton doesn’t look bad compared to some I’ve been too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orca

The report does say "CCFC have secured an option to purchase land to develop a new state of the art training ground, on a site which is significantly larger than the current 8 acre one at Ryton"

'Option to purchase' - good. "CCFC have secured", very good. Owned by CCFC is a must.

There is plenty of land available in Warwickshire for this and planning rules are known to be significantly relaxed when a rural site is developed for a sporting purpose. Rugby Town's facility at Kilsby Lane is, I believe, built on what was green belt land. There are 7 full size, 6 mini soccer and two artificial pitches (not full size) there.

My one concern is the funding. Ryton is mortgaged to ARVO (£3m IIRC) and can't be developed until a replacement facility is created. How will it be funded? Sell Ryton to a developer, pay a peppercorn rent for 2 years and then hand over Ryton when the new one is done, makes the most sense I guess. I'm being a bit sceptical here, but I want to see ringfenced cash committed to the project before I believe it will actually happen

SkyBlueScottie

Ryton is limited in space, in terms of the buildings, and pitches, state of the art also suggests that the Academy would be based there.

gary_ccfcforever

I'm amazed that anybody really thinks that this is going to happen. Sisu have no interest in this club or its academy, They are a ruthless hedge fund not property developers.

This is another tick box exercise for the EFL etc. They will sell the land and pocket the money. Why anyone is entertaining this is beyond me.

Also bear in mind that Dave Boddy was behind the whole scam at Worcester City.

Surely we are all aware of what is going to happen here??

Manchester_sky_blue

I'm amazed that anybody really thinks that this is going to happen. Sisu have no interest in this club or its academy, They are a ruthless hedge fund not property developers.

This is another tick box exercise for the EFL etc. They will sell the land and pocket the money. Why anyone is entertaining this is beyond me.

Makes little difference now because we no longer own Ryton outright, its mortgaged to the hilt through Arvo. As the only real asset left of any value, Arvo are going to want to close on that debt in the not too distant future, whether we have a new training ground or not.

olderskyblue

Ryton organic gardens is up for sale... most probably for housing, but would be plenty big enough... (22 acres..)

and has a very nice cafe on site (Stock Pot)

itsabuzzard

Well said.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Rodders1

It’s a huge worry - with their history how can we trust SISU?

Specs WT-R75

"Only once the new training ground is operational will any redevelopment work take place at Ryton."

As long as that is enshrined in any approvals to develop the land then I don't care whether approval to build on the land is given or not. That statement is non-negotiable as far as I am concerned.

rupert_bear

I travel around the country watching the Acadamy kids and most if not all other clubs have their first team training facility alongside their Acadamy or even multi-sports Bristol City for example these’s rugby, a ladies football stadium and umpteen pitches. I fail to see why now Wasps seem to have abandoned their plans st the Higgs our first team couldn’t move there, with a bit of tinkering everything is there and it’s in Coventry.

Orca

I travel around the country watching the Acadamy kids and most if not all other clubs have their first team training facility alongside their Acadamy or even multi-sports Bristol City for example these’s rugby, a ladies football stadium and umpteen pitches. I fail to see why now Wasps seem to have abandoned their plans st the Higgs our first team couldn’t move there, with a bit of tinkering everything is there and it’s in Coventry.

I would imagine Sport England would want to ensure a long term lease/rental agreement would be in place for that to happen. I don't think the trustees of the Trust would be keen on that.

ccfcway

The question would also be whether the club were to own any new training ground.

one for local journo's to ask.

Answers likely to be....

CT "wasps chiefs confirm ccfc fans will continue to be able to use the stadium toilets on match days"
Observer "CCFC forced to train in rugby due to wasps"

Otis

Ryton organic gardens is up for sale... most probably for housing, but would be plenty big enough... (22 acres..)

and has a very nice cafe on site (Stock Pot)
Is it really? Surprised. Always seems busy and it's expensive for what it is too.

olderskyblue

Is it really? Surprised. Always seems busy and it's expensive for what it is too.

Agree with NW, they provide some very nice food. They also have a "street" cafe now in Royal Priors in Leamington.

rupert_bear

I would imagine Sport England would want to ensure a long term lease/rental agreement would be in place for that to happen. I don't think the trustees of the Trust would be keen on that.
There is land plenty of it at the old Severn Water site adjacent to the Higgs sitewhere a decent training ground could be put, could fit a stadium there too !!

Users who are viewing this thread