New Style (1 Viewer)

after the Hartlepool game and some comments Jordan Stewart made on ccfc.co.uk about the new style, I just wondered what everyone thought?

Due to work and other stuff, yesterday was the first game I've seen under Pressley, and I can see what they're trying to do..control the ball, make horizontal gaps to find space and play with the ball on the ground more. However as yet they're not quite there. Do we think this is a ploy for the rest of the season as we're going to have to play Cody up front who's never going to win a header, or could this be the shape of things to come?

There was obviously a lot of frustration from fans yesterday ( usual uneducated morons who don't actually understand the game), but I wondered if this was Pressley's style?

RME

I am not sure how well the new style has been embedded. An aspect of it is said, by Martin in the Telegraph, to involve not hitting long balls up to the sole striker. But yesterday, at least in the first half, they did that time and time again, with no success. I agree with the idea behind the style but the players must carry it out in practice.

Dan Griffin

IMHO, apart from when the lads DO hoof it, the football was very good, we kept it well, and although it was only hartlepool at times we dominated, times when our back four were on the half way line, there were also times when it just didn't work and luck was nowhere to be seen I.e baker twisting and turning towards the away fans in the first half when he got sandwiched by 3, and moussa lost it a lot. But then it did work with baker towards the end when he turned 3 defenders 3 times, just fans got VERY VERY impatient, and very understandable just glad we got the win.

I think its the right system to use, but not the right players to use. We need players like Fleck and Thomas who are good passers but who can also move up field with the ball. Bailey and Jenno just went backwards and sideways yesterday. We need good passers who have the speed, confidence and attacking mindset to push forward with the ball, but i think with the right players it could prove to be a genious decision

RoboCCFC90

We played better Tuesday night but yesterday we got the result and that's what is most important when we do start passing the ball about we do keep it generally well although a few points need to be made:

Christie and Baker down the right side have a tendency to want to beat a player to many times, either beat the man for pace which we all know Christie has and Baker can get past most players with some silky footwork or get a cross in, too many times we are not producing anything and teams are just taking the ball off us.

A few players over recent games haven't played the ball quick enough or are playing the ball in a controlled manor, especially when the pressure isn't on then we have to be getting this right and there was no pressure yesterday as 3 points was always certain.

Jennings and Bailey need a swift kick in the arse because yesterday especially and most Jenno, he dwells to much on the ball and concedes possession, yes it's not always about going forward as isn't always the best option but when you have an opportunity to make something happen you have too take it and not allow the opposition to gather there defences and surround the man in possession..

Except that Moussa did very well and looked like he could get past a player and linked up well with Cody. Cody was also very good and ran the line well and for a few times where the defenders just got the better of him he could have got in behind a few times more. I also thought Aaron Martin was solid yesterday at the back and think that when Wood is fit Martin may partner Wood in the latter few games.

covcity4life

I was very impressed with the style of play

Moron fans dontnubderstand that sometimes going back and retaining the ball is better than taking long rangers or hoofijg iyy for no reason

We still donthr rare goofball but I expect to see that eradicated

RoboCCFC90

I was very impressed with the style of play

Moron fans dontnubderstand that sometimes going back and retaining the ball is better than taking long rangers or hoofijg iyy for no reason

We still donthr rare goofball but I expect to see that eradicated

You mean the same morons who likely boo Sheffers?

motherfunky

Negative, boring and wrong players picked, when we play a decent side we will get punished. We've played 2 terrible sides and got lucky. If this is a sign of things to come then I will not be looking forward to going up to watch. Felt like we drew or had been defeated it was that bad yday.

RoboCCFC90

Negative, boring and wrong players picked, when we play a decent side we will get punished. We've played 2 terrible sides and got lucky. If this is a sign of things to come then I will not be looking forward to going up to watch. Felt like we drew or had been defeated it was that bad yday.

Sorry motherfunky but we won't play every team off the pitch and get three points all the time I would take 1-0 results like that for the rest of the season..

SkyBlue_Bear83

IMHO, apart from when the lads DO hoof it, the football was very good, we kept it well, and although it was only hartlepool at times we dominated, times when our back four were on the half way line, there were also times when it just didn't work and luck was nowhere to be seen I.e baker twisting and turning towards the away fans in the first half when he got sandwiched by 3, and moussa lost it a lot. But then it did work with baker towards the end when he turned 3 defenders 3 times, just fans got VERY VERY impatient, and very understandable just glad we got the win.
We played ok but Hartlepool were a very poor side, we controlled the game without really dominating

Sky Blue Pete

Hartlepool significantly better than Colchester. Thought the defence looked much more secure than Tuesday. Jordan Stewart looked defensively sound!!!

Must admit I work with a Millwall fan, and he said that when he was there he was " wage thief", lazy and useless. I must admit, that, like Sky blue Pete, thought he looked good.

Martin is ok, though when he was partnered with Cameron a couple of weeks ago he looked awful. I quite like Edge as a defender, gives away the odd freekick but its usually a long way out and is the kind of ball playing defender you need in this system. Wood, whilst a good defender had biscuit tins for feet at times and worries me if he ever has a 2nd touch.

totally agree about Bailey and Jennings....about three times yesterday Jennings tried to run the ball to the wing because he cant pass the ball more than 5 yards, and Bailey is a bottler and pulls out of everything.

Gint11

We played ok but Hartlepool were a very poor side, we controlled the game without really dominating

Spot on. Completely agree. Drab match but you take 1-0 all day.

LJC_CCFC

Must admit I work with a Millwall fan, and he said that when he was there he was " wage thief", lazy and useless. I must admit, that, like Sky blue Pete, thought he looked good.

Martin is ok, though when he was partnered with Cameron a couple of weeks ago he looked awful. I quite like Edge as a defender, gives away the odd freekick but its usually a long way out and is the kind of ball playing defender you need in this system. Wood, whilst a good defender had biscuit tins for feet at times and worries me if he ever has a 2nd touch.

totally agree about Bailey and Jennings....about three times yesterday Jennings tried to run the ball to the wing because he cant pass the ball more than 5 yards, and Bailey is a bottler and pulls out of everything.

Been looking for ages for something that describes Woodys feet and I think biscuit tins has done it

Brighton Sky Blue

Didn't see anything especially wrong with McDonald's goal as it goes-looked like a striker just using his strength to get the better of the defender. Nicely taken finish too.

Gint11

Didn't see anything especially wrong with McDonald's goal as it goes-looked like a striker just using his strength to get the better of the defender. Nicely taken finish too.

Yeah I agree with that as well. Football is a contact sport and McDonald showed strength to fend him off. The game is going that way now where them sort of shoves are being pulled up as fouls.

skybluelee

Hadn't Hartlepool lost 1 in their last 10 prior to Saturday?

Sky Blue Sheepy

I agree largely that most of our fans dont like us slowing the game down - unfortunately for them that seems largely Pressleys style. The players would hopefully adapt as training goes on. Edj, Fleck, Thomas and a few others look like they'll suit the new style well.

Jackoskyblue

Some of the passing play was very good, good movement. But seemed to lack tempo, I'm all for keeping the ball patiently building up the play but in the final third we lacked that tempo and weren't able to pressure their defenders. Don't know wether this is something Pressley will look to apply to the team or not.

shy_tall_knight

Jennings running sideways with the ball, confirmed to me what a poor player he is, slows the game down allows the opposition to get behind the ball. He apparent ly does a lot of unseen work, well that may be true but that is often the excuse given for poor footballers. Head down safe 5 yard passes to the side behind but never forward. Plus he can't shoot, do not rate him.

georgehudson

with baker out, would seem a fit for thomas to get a chance in his position,
plus the potential of fleck to make a positive effect on the left,
would also like to see wilson up front,

Users who are viewing this thread